1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ok if there ever is a free agent market..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, May 19, 2011.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
    list your top 5 veterans you would want to sign,
    list your top 5 UDFA'S you would want to sign,

me personally would go like.

Veterans-
    1.Mason Crosby K ( Packers)
    2.Kevin Boss TE (giants)
    3.Tye Hill CB (rams)
    4.Charles Johnson DE (panthers)
    5.Braylon Edwards WR (jets)

UDFA'S
    1. Mark Herzlich OLB/ILB ( Boston college)
    2.Tori Gurley WR ( South carolina)
    3.De' Andrea Mcdaniel S ( Clemson)
    4.Kendric Burney DB ( North Carolina)
    5.Jerrod Johnson QB ( Texas A&M)

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Free Agent Targets
    ILB Kevin Burnett
    ILB Kirk Morrison
    OT Ryan Harris
    OLB Travis LaBoy (backup + Barnes)
    DE Marcus Spears (backup)

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    dude thats a pretty solid pick up, i didnt even see those guys on the FA list

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I know Morrison was released and think he and Burnett would be a killer combo. Plus the dude's a San Diegan, he'd do backflips to play back at the Q from his SDSU days. Harris I think is a better tougher tackle then Clary and was a very good one in Denver. Laboy played with Manusky in SF so I would trust his opinion. And if we can't get Cesaire back I'd look at Spears to be a backup with Martin

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    Dude i totally understand, morrison is a BOSS, i would kill for him to be on our team

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Morrison went to SDSU, but I'm pretty sure he's from NorCal and more specifically Oakland (he went to Bishop O'Dowd, who my high schoo lteam played against when we did out in-state traveling games, which is in Oakland).

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm going to have sort of two running lists here, one being who I would like that I think is likely we'd actually consider and then a parenthetical of who actually is the best free agent fit for us available.

Vets:
    OT Wayne Hunter (OT: Jammal Brown/Wayne Hunter) - Very likely doable assuming AJ actually decides to cut bait from Clary or at least decide to bring in another swing-tackle and RT-capable starter to challenge JC if he's brought back.

DE/DT Antonio Johnson (DE/DT: Cullen Jenkins/Stephen Bowen) - I almost put Bowen down here, but he may well be a guy that gets priced out of where AJ's willing to pay for a backup because of the demand on the market for 3-4 DE's with some starting experience (see Dwan Edwards last off season). Johnson was never a fantastic fit for Larry Coyer's scheme in Indy, but he was much more effective when Ron Meeks was running the show, and lookedi n those times like he had the potential to project to the RDE position in a 3-4.

OLB Jason Trusnik (OLB/DE: Ray Edwards/Mathias Kiwanuka) - Both Edwards and Kiwi could very likely transition quite smoothly to playing OLB, but both are most likely out of our price range given what Phillips is already making and that the FO seems to still want to give English a chance. My two top candidates were already re-signed prior to the CBA ran out (well... one was franchised), in Brian Robison and Kamerion Wimbley. Trusnik isn't in any of those 4's league, but as a rotational guy who has shown he can start when needed to and produce in that role in a 3-4 (as well as play both OLB positions) we could do a lot worse.

ILB Kevin Burnett (ILB: Kevin Burnett/Takeo Spikes) - In a perfect world, AJ and Burnett (and his agent) are able to come to terms on a contract that both sides find amenable. Thing is, Burnett may well be the best full-fledged UFA ILB on the market with guys like Barrett Ruud, David Harris, and Stewart Bradley all RFA's under the 2010 free agency statutes. And there are still a number of 4-3 teams who, after the showing KB put on last season, may be some very real competition for his services. Spikes is a stop-gap, but as I see it we're in likely a two-horse race for his services. Either he goes back to the Niners or he follows his former DC here. And as a 2-year stop-gap who is hungry for a ring and is a proven veteran leader, Spikes is one of the best we could ask for if we lose Burnett.

QB Kellen Clemens/Kyle Boller (OL Evan Mathis) - I'm still not satisfied with our OL, as even with a Hunter/Williams signing we lack needed depth. Mathis won't be back in Cincinnati - both sides are pretty clear on that - and is an extremely underrated guard who (IIRC) has experience at all 3 interior positions. That said, we have no one backing up Rivers right now. We're not going to rely on a UDFA, so someone's going to have to be signed. Volek's a strong possibility, but if he's offered any shot at a starting gig he's headed there. Clemens and Boller aren't stellar but they come from similar systems (having both had either Cam Cameron or Schotty Jr. as their OC in their career) and shouldn't have a problem picking up the offense.

UDFA's:
    Kevin Rutland (CB, Missouri) - He's a project but his upside is really solid with the potential to develop into a starting-caliber boundary corner.
    Adrian Taylor (DL, Oklahoma) - He may not make it through camp or his first season without an injury, but as a UDFA he's definitely worth a chance. This is a guy who were it not for injury problems over the past two seasons would have been a lock to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, even as deep as this DL class was. This year's Arthur Jones, IMO.
    Orie Lemon (ILB, Oklahoma St) - Heat-seeking missile that needs to be reined in, but has value on both S/T's as well as goal-line packages as a rookie. Wouldn't surprise me if he outplayed guys like Holt and Wilson in the preseason.
    Charlie Gantt (TE, Mich St) - Should have been drafted, but it also doesn't surprise me that TE's suffered from there being no free agency to allow teams to shore up needs pre-draft. Gantt's a good in-line blocker, fair on the move, and a reliable receiver. He's no Gates, but then who is.
    Keith Smith (WR, Purdue) or Andre Holmes (WR, Hillsdale) - Ultimately the decision would hinge on how Smith's knee checks out as he's the much more polished and accomplished receiver but he's also coming off ACL and MCL tears from back in September. Both are big receivers, Holmes being a little taller and a little faster (though Smith has better burst off the line).

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +116
    pretty sold i like the spikes pick up hes a def leader, some of your UDFA's ive never ehard of but im bout to do some research