1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OK, I'LL START, WHO HERE THOUGHT WE COULD GET A FIRST DOWN

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Nov 11, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So, the Colts miss the field goal

ALL WE NEEDED TO DO WAS GET ONE ONE ONE FUGGING FIRST DOWN

ONE!!!

THIS OFFENSE HAS SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS!!!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yes, we have some worries. I hope they get it worked out.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    There was no doubt we were going to run it right up the middle three times. I just hoped we got lucky. At one point, there were ZERO players in the Colts' defensive backfield, NONE.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'll continue...who here thought that if Vinatieri had made it, Rivers would have driven the Chargers down the field to get into FG position, and that Keading had made a pressure FG in the rain?

I say no :icon_sad:

BTW I'll subscribe to TMQ, "all you need to do is run up the middle for no gain and the colts run of of time"

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Hakuna mutada.

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

If he hits that FG it's over. No way Philip "fumblemeister" Rivers drives withing FG range with no time outs in the rain.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Charger offense is a shambles. Even if Rivers had attempted to throw, there was no guarantee that he wouldn't have bounced it off his own helmet. This would have been a good time for LT"s option pass or atleast a play action off of a fake pitch. Even a naked bootleg would have been more likely to succeed.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    That's what I was thinking if they kick the FG. Pigs would be flying and Philip gets us into FG range (say 42 yarder), can Kaeding make it. I don't think so and the weather gets the blame. He has to make a bigtime clutch kick from more than 25 yds to make me have faith in him....

All hypothetical ofcourse, how Vinatieri missed I will never understand. :icon_huh:

9. dad2lna

dad2lna BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    At the begining of the season people were questioning mighty mouse making the team now look we owe him and cro a game ball actually we should give them more than that. with out those guys it would have been a blow out. i cant wrap my head around it no real personel changes but the team is in the crapper? could our team even beat chula vista high? does the QB coach have glaucoma or a brain for that matter? i have noticed many similaritys between norv and the scare crow if i only had a brain is the one that jumps out at the moment

10. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I still don't get why we don't run something else other than up the middle. I'm dying with it- I know when it's going to happen, and it amazes me that we run that crap ALL THE TIME. Amazing... absolutely amazing- I wish there was some creativity in running the ball. Go off-tackle, or pitch outs, or something other than right up the middle.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When they showed Rivers mug on the JumboTron in the 4th quarter, the fans boo'd his *** unmercifully.

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I myself just stood there, amazed.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I did what PowderLove did. I did nothing. Nada.

Rivers QB rating was 30 yesterday but it looked much worse.

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    BDH was too busy hugging strangers to boo. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    We do need more pitch outs and fakes. HOWEVER you only should use them about 20% of the time. Last season and before running it down the middle had a lot of luck. This was because people were worried a bit by our passing game.

With the way Rivers have been playing they don't even need to cover our guys. He has missed wideopen receivers multiple times. He has thrown it in triple coverage even when VJ is open.

PR hasn't digressed since he really didn't prove himself enough last season. He made only 1/3rd of his passes when we won the Seahawks and many of our fans think that is one of his better games.

I liked the play-calling for 1st down against the Colts. With PR giving the ball away and unable to hold on to it no pitches or passes for him. We run it with LoNeal and LT and still almost got it. With better O-line blocking we would of easily got it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    BDH is ghey.

On our last drive after the missed figgie, even as bad as Rivers was, I was PRAYING for a play action pass on first down. If we'd moved the chains one time then the Colts would have no shot at winning.

Our offense is offensive.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    With the clock and timeout situation, you had to play the percentages and run the ball. Three runs meant <30 seconds left for Peyton. One incomplete pass would have meant 1:00+ left for Peyton.

I was disappointed that we could not get a first down. Especially after getting five yards on first down. The 2nd down run was very poorly blocked. The third down run was better, but not good enough.

18. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    That 2nd run was horrible. Our O-line needs to be more consistent. They should not be beat this much man to man especially not with the same coach.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I know.

I also know that the Colts knew that, and expected us to be as predictable as we always are, which we were.

Sooner or later, this team needs to quit being predictable - both offensively and defensively.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    ZACTLY!

21. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    OK OK,
    I THINK THAT PHILLIP SHOULDNT BE BASHED FOR THE FACT THAT HE IS MAKING ROOKIE MISTAKES, HE SHOULD BE BASHED FOR BEING A PU$$Y IN THE POCKET. ANYONE HERE SHOULD KNOW THAT THE GUY IS BASICALY SCARRED TO TAKE A HIT, MORE OR LESS HE NEEDS A QB COACH THAT HAS BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, PROBABLY SOME ONE LIKE HUMPHRIES. SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHOW PHILLIP HOW TO PLANT HIS BACK FOOT AND HOW TO THROW THE BALL DURING A PLAY ACTION, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW TO BE MOBILE IN THE POCKET. UNFORTUNATLY ITS NOT THE "O" LINE OR THE RECEIVERS MAKING THE MISTAKES ITS THE GUY WITH THE TUNNEL VISION.

OTHER THEN THAT GO BOLTS.......:icon_toast:

22. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Good thread, it's exactly what most of us were thinking last night in the situation, I (like our hc) have 0 zilch nada confidence in our QB completing one pass, ten yards? Shyt the guy underthrows flat patterns.