1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OK lets see what exactly will be fixed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am throwing the gauntlet down, lets see if the "Fire Norv" folk can answer this;

Lets say you get your way, Norv's termination is announced today at a press conference. Forget who the replacement is, we dont care....

Tell me what has been improved and why.

What is it that Norv is soo bad at that you let him go with the winning record, and success of the team.

Will the Offense improve? How, more passing, more running?
    Will the Defense improve? How, personnel changes?
    What is going to change, and how will it improve, because if it is not improving then it gets in the way of the sated desire to 'be #1' doesnt it?

2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Norv gone. He's a puss.

3. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Run a tougher camp for one. I have heard former players and coaches that have said he runs a soft camp, and that is the reason for our slow starts. That would be one change another tougher minded coach could change right away. Norv needs to go back to being an OC so he can concentrate on play calling, and not have to worry about discipline.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who have you heard that from?

Does this mean that Marty also ran a soft camp as his last 2 season he suffered slow starts?

5. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Listening to 1090 everyday I have heard this many times. I think Bass was one of the coaches, along with another they have on as an analyst. Rice and Shlereth (sp) are two of the players I have heard comment on the issue. There are more, but I don't take notes in my car during the day while listening to the radio. The coaches are on during the Hacksaw segment (I know Hacksaw is an idiot, but he does get forme NFL coaches on his show to talk about the NFL and the Chargers).

As for Marty: He took over a bad team and made us winners. Norv tookk over a good team and we are going the wrong direction IMO. You obviously like Norv though, so I don't expect to agree on this issue.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Actually I dont 'like' Norv. I think he has done a good job for us. I hated the hiring but at the first TC I wnet to I saw the Chargers running drills and Norv yelling at them for not doing it right. It opened my eyes because I heard he was soft too, but he chewed him some Osgood and Floyd (I believe) that day. Since then I have been to quite a few camps and while I dont call them soft, they are not 'hard time' either.

I do not put stock into the mentality that a team has to win more games every season, that is impossible, even for the dynastys. What I look at is are we in a position under the current coaching staff to compete the next season for the playoffs and beyond.

So far, none of the 'criticisms' have shown me that we are not.

Next season (if there is one) there is a lot of up, Mathews/Tolbert tandem for one...

Bethard hamstrung the Ross era and fragged the organization for years to come until JOBU and AJ got here and started fixing the mess. So I dont see how we are going in the wrong direction, time will tell I guess...

7. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

There's a reason some franchises collect Lombardi's like trading cards and others never sniff one. It starts with ownership and the front office. And then to the community atmosphere and attitude. SD clearly is a bandwagon town, we'll rock a stadium for a winner, but abandon the losers. Teams like Pitt don't. And they carry a tougher, street brawl personality that rubs off on the team.

Not sure whether I hold Chargers management more responsible or the culture of our community. Probably both.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I really feel Norv Turner just isn't head coach material. I mean he's a good teacher, coordinator, probably a good person, but a leader of men he's not. I just don't think the players are responding to him the last few years and it's time for a change of scenery and leadership for this team. We've given Norv enough time. Who do I hire? I agree with you that a Gruden or Cowher or some other retread might not be the right guy, but that's on AJ. I just know there's someone out there that can get the most out of this team and I'm convinced Norv isn't that guy and his declining record the past few seasons proves it. I'm ready to move on.....

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    What records are you referring to that says Marty had two slow starts? I only see one...

Even if he did, that doesn't address the issue. The issue is that Norv has had 4 seasons and 4 slow starts. It should have cost us the playoffs two of those years, we are lucky it only cost us one. Blame it on whatever you want, soft camp, generally mild emotion, not well spoken, or whatever. The proof is in the results and the results show that Norv has not put a quality team/gameplan on the field in September. Facts are facts and it is one area that I think would improve with a different person at the helm.

For the record, I think Norv should get one more year. If we don't make the playoffs AND win a game then he should be gone.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not dodging the issue. I am on record as saying the Chargers MUST fix the slow starts. That is not questionable. I will argue however that this season was not the typical of our slow starts. The O and D arguably played well. The f'in ST decided to drop a ****** in the punch bowl.

So we are perhaps in agreement that the next season played, the team better come out on fire.

But I do not believe firing Norv now, acomplishes that.

11. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4

It will guarantee excitement for the fans for at least 1 yr. If things don't improve do same again 1 year contracts with coaches till they prove themselves. Besides this all the smart fans would be ok with him as a offensive cord from up top where he could see what plays to call better. TBH this is a no-brainer u do realize our ticket sales dropped so bad this year they lowered price's probably for the 1st time ever. Even if u don't understand why, u surly can see we are now officially losing $ in revenue now by NOT listening to the fans. -Me alone is a huge loss for this teams sales when last year I stopped buying them.

Lastly Norv won 2x SB under J.J who had the NFL best D at the time think about that. Anyone remember all world "Neon Dion"-Pr1me T1me, best D player ever played for the Cowboys SB wins. Look at how the Bronco's hired an offensive coach for HC and failed. They started out 6-0 dominate till teams figured them out. Notice how he focused on offense with drafts and trades...Remember QB/WR in the news each week fighting with him? no D talk at all.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dude, that font is KILLING me man!!!!! :mad:

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Marty didn't really have anywhere to go but up and it did take time. Player acquisition improved and so did the team by his third or fourth year going off memory. I might add that I still believe Marty hurt Brees more than helped him, dude is a quarterback killer if there ever was one.

I wasn't real happy with Norv's hiring as HC but he has made the offense better, there is no mistake in that. He reminds me of Don Coryell, he sure as hell can dissect a defense but he can't run one very well. This is where I want Ski to contribute to the Bolt's, bring in new schemes in addition to what they have and add some good old fashion arse whopping.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's made great improvement on the offense and has crafted Rivers into a great quarterback, but he has not shown the ability to get us over the hump, which is why he was hired.

15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The "Ignore list" can solve that problem for you. (...what a train wreck of a post you quoted there! :icon_huh: )

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    If he was fired today. The chargers would go from AFC west champs to Super Bowl Bound.

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Offense: Norv is predictable. Iso on 1st down, give up on the run altogether when it doesn't work.
    How to get better: Develop a running game with more creativity and don't abandon it. Yes, its that simple. Anything to take pressure off the completely immobile Rivers. Also it wouldn't hurt to plug in a professional football player at right tackle.

Defense: Only one major weakness in my opinion, a star player. No ballhawk saftey, no dominant pass rusher, no Ray Lewis type leader. We are one of the absolute worst at creating takeaways despite being one of the league leaders in sacks and yards allowed.
    How to get better: Only thing we can do from here is hope we find a gem in the draft.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, why every time someone complains about Marty does it have to turn into being about Marty? You think it is possible that some people don't like either?

19. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Marty is like the ex-wife and has no relevance to the current marriage (Norv). Maybe one day people will let him go. It is not like he took us to a SB.
    Yes it is possible for someone to not like either. I am one of those people.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The Charger's have enough personnel on the team right now to make the big show, upgrades are constantly going on with every team. I'm sure both the Stiller's and pack would say they could use an upgrade here and there. Wholesale change just to do it isn't the answer, we're not talking computers here where a new piece can make all the difference in the world.

On offense, having all the WR's injured and the all world TE down not to mention Rhiannon with her bum ankle down, they did well for what Norv had to work with. Some young guys showed promise and gained valuable experience, there is definitely going to be improvement if folks stat healthy, you don't score the way they did being one dimensional and predictable.

The defense has the bodies to be an upper tier squad but has room for growth no doubt. If some of these guys with promise blossom and can make it out of training camp in one piece, things will start to get better. NT is still a concern but there are still a few big bodies on the roster that need to show growth, Cam, Vaughn and I'm still holding out hope for Johnson. An enforcer at ILB'er would be much help and a solid knockout safety, both still to be determined come next summer.

AJ needs to sign the most important FA's and add some talent through the draft, headhunter from some remote and unknown island come to mind. I just hope Ski was told it may be Norv's team but the defense is all yours, FIX IT. A half assed fix on ST will be an improvement and they really have nowhere to go but get better.

Sweeping change is not the answer, minor tweaking and tuning will go a lot further in the long run than a total engine rebuild.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The only one making things about Marty here is you. I simply asked if the slow starts also impacted him as he had one or two himself at the end of his tenure.

If that is about Marty in your book, fine... Then you will have to get over it.

Moving on...

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    More trips to the water park!!!

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    This coming from a guy who has NO PROBLEM selling his tickets to visiting fans? And you DARE to bring up SD's fan "community"? REALLY?

24. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

You confuse me with someone who pizzes away their family's money on NFL season tix for a franchise that's NEVER won, fellow Carlsbadian.

25. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

I agree, Norv is awfully predictable. If he didn't look like a computer guy he wouldn't be considered so wise.

26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Then I sit corrected (I'd say "stand", but my back was nuked this morning).

27. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    You said it yourself-Norv won 2 Super Bowls UNDER Jimmie Johnson not as head coach!

28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    What he said

29. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Hold it right there... I'm not going to take responsibility that Norv is a P*ssie and under him that the Chargers ALWAYS get off to a slow f*cking start. Don't go blaming me for that!

He!! I've got enough problems without you calling me out for the Chargers problems too!

Next thing you know Obama will be calling me out for the bad economy!

30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Yes, a REAL Headcoach would be nice.
    What I recall from this last season was the obvious shite play of special teams.
    What was the difference from seasons past? KASSIM OSGOOD. We should have kept
    him and paid him a little more. He would have even got to play WR with all the injuries
    at that position last season. Special Teams cost us more than 1 game. That means
    it cost us the division and a chance in the playoffs by letting go a SPECIAL TEAMS ACE.
    WE NEED ONE, PREFERABLY 2.

Oh, back on subject. Um, nothing would change if we got rid of Norv today. It would only
    change when there's a replacement named. It could be better or worse (though I doubt it).

But logically, nothing would change.