1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OK locals - where's the TC news?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd prefer some more reports like MadMike's from locals on the scene .... for now here's an article from PFF.

July 27th, 2012 | Author: Neil Hornsby
    [​IMG]
    Stop No. 2 – San Diego, California; Chargers Camp

Miles Traveled to date: 5,956

Flying from Flagstaff to San Diego may have been the conventional choice of travel, but for some reason we made a 500-mile drive back to Phoenix and then along the Mexican border, stopping in El Centro for the evening, before arriving in San Diego well in time for the 9:00AM walkthroughs. If conditions in Flagstaff were “almost ideal” the weather in San Diego was genuinely perfect: low 70’s with a cloudless sky and a very light breeze.

This was just the first day of camp and after the earlier walkthroughs, practice took place at 4:00PM, running through for a couple of hours.

Key Topics

1) Replacing Dielman

When the Chargers lost Kris Dielman following his seizure on the team plane last year, they lost more than their best player on the offensive line, they also lost their “enforcer” and guy who would ensure everyone on the line was playing at their best. Now they have to try and replace both those attributes but, almost certainly, with two players. Nick Hardwick has all the work ethic of Dielman but will need to be the internal force ensuring a player like Jared Gaither doesn’t let his immense talent go to waste now he’s been paid. As for the actual left guard part of the equation? Well, currently Tyronne Green is the incumbent, but I’ve always liked Rex Hadnot better than his stats might have you believe and I’m going to nail my colors to the mast and say he’ll be the starter come Week 1. The fact that Norv Turner actually took time to mention Hadnot during his presser makes me feel a whole lot better about this prognostication.

2) Royal & McClain Make a Difference

While the headlines in San Diego during free agency were probably reserved for Robert Meachem and Jarret Johnson, the guys who may have the biggest influence on how the Chargers play this year might be Eddie Royal and Le’Ron McClain.

The Chargers run 11 personnel (3 WRs, the league staple) on only 29% of plays compared to the NFL average of 35%. In addition, while they run 21 personnel (2 backs) very close to the league average of 15%, you always get the impression this isn’t by choice; they’d rather have a big fullback in front of Ryan Matthews much more frequently.

This is why Eddie Royal and Le’Ron McClain are so important. In a throwing league with a big time QB like Philip Rivers, they want the 3-wide look more often and, at least for the moment, they see Royal as the slot receiver (although Roscoe Parrish got all the snaps there in the afternoon practice for reasons I couldn’t discern) and McClain as the man to lead Matthews into the line. Watch for them to scale back on the two-tight end sets they employed so frequently in 2011.

3) Jarret Johnson’s Role

Full disclosure here: Jarret Johnson has always been one of my favorites. I’m not sure there’s a better player against the run from the outside linebacker position in the NFL. When with the Ravens, trying to run frequently to his side was bordering on stupidity and it’s unlikely, given his previous consistency, much will change in that regard. Unfortunately, something that also may not change is his inability to get pressure regularly. As a pass rusher he’s never really threatened tackles and his 5.6 PFF Pass Rushing Productivity rating would rank him 37th among 3-4 OLBs. The good news for the Chargers is they also have the No. 2 player in the whole NFL in that regard in Antwan Barnes. Barnes is a guy that genuinely intrigues me as I do often ask myself if the Chargers actually know what they have, given the way they limit his snaps.

In addition, the way Antonio Gates destroyed him in coverage during the 4:00PM scrimmage was indicative of what might happen against the new breed of TE so prevalent these days.

If they can limit his snaps away from clear passing situations and utilize Barnes to his full potential, they may just have the ultimate combination.

Other Notes

● Anyone thinking the kicker battle is an open-and-shut case better think again. While most believe Nate Kaeding is a shoe-in, Nick Novak has a real chance to be the choice.
    ● All of Charlie Whitehurst, Jared Gaither, and Ryan Matthews left the field with varying degrees on injury. In the scrimmage, the Chargers were down to Rivers and free agent rookie Jarrett Lee
    ● Why is Takeo Spikes the ultimate pro? Long after play was over he was still out on the field coaching a younger player on his coverage technique. The player? DeAndre Presley a free agent rookie from Appalachian State.
    ● Shaun Phillips won’t have to flip-flop between positions anymore as he has previously. Jarret Johnson will permanently man the strong-side with him staying on the weak.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This leaves me scratching my head

"they’d rather have a big fullback in front of Ryan Matthews much more frequently."

Didn't they get rid of our "Big Fullback" several years ago in favor of Jacob Hester because they were "Moving in a different direction" and wouldn't be using the bull dozing FB as much as they had in the past? At least that is what was reported as to the reason that McNeil asked for his release, since he claims that is what he was told, and I see no reason to see why he would lie about that.

3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I was thinking the same thing. Hester over Oneal. Hmm.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    Perhaps that's what they felt back then, but have since had a change of heart, who knows? I don't think that if you think something once you are locked into it forever.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    As much as I hate to say it, it may have also been more b/c LoNeal wasn't what he used to be...

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    While I love LoNeal, he didn't exactly set the world on fire for the Ravens for two years either so I'm not sure getting him from 2008-2010 would've meant we had the ol LoNeal blocking for LT and early for Mathews. My guess is that Norv wanted more versatility with his fullback (and versatility in all positions is something AJ/Norv have tried for) and as such they took the obvious downgrade in blocking for more ability in pass catching and running (which LoNeal really wasn't that great at - how many people were fooled when loNeal went out wide?). And while Norv maintains his theory of versatility they obviously are pushing for better run blocking - hence not only McClain but Battle vs Hester

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Lo-Neal was not a threat with the ball when called upon. Dude had trouble getting to the edge when he left and his best days at that point were definitely behind him.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    The fact he couldn't turn his head more than 30 degrees was a slight problem in the screen game. ;)

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Chargers' defensive front stepping up
    August, 2, 2012
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- One of the early impressions from visiting San Diego Chargers is the potential the team has on the defensive line.

This unit has a chance to be good in 2012 and terrific in the future. The line is one of San Diego’s deepest areas and it has a chance to set the tone for much improved overall play by the defense. What stands out about the group is the mixture of youth and veteran experience. This is a unit that can offer a lot of different looks and personnel sets.

A player who has been a standout is second-round pick Kendall Reyes. While it is early, all indications are the Chargers have potentially found something special in Reyes.

The Connecticut product has fit right into camp and does not look overmatched so far. He has a combination of pass-rushing and run-stuffing ability that gives him the chance to be a complete player for a long time. While he has yet to prove anything, I think the Chargers feel comfortable playing him right away.

The team also feels good about 2011 first-round pick Corey Liuget. They think he will make strides under new defensive coordinator John Pagano. Along with 2012 first-round pick Melvin Ingram, who will play some on the line, but will also be a rush linebacker, the Chargers have a terrific young building blocks on the edge. They also feel good about youngsters Cam Thomas and Vaughn Martin on the line.

San Diego’s depth and talent on the defensive line is not relegated to the youth, though. The team is thrilled about recent signing Aubrayo Franklin because of the depth it creates at nose tackle. Thomas, Franklin and veteran Antonio Garay will rotate and will give the Chargers a lot of strength in the middle of the line.

If we see a vast improvement on defense in San Diego, a major reason may be because of the front three.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Very excited about Reyes. I think we're all going to like what this kid brings to the defense.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Yeah...... where are all the local TC reports? you guys not going or getting lazy?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS NOTES: Reserves benefit from veterans' rest
    8 hours ago By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com
    SAN DIEGO — Center Nick Hardwick, tight end Antonio Gates and inside linebacker Takeo Spikes were held out of the Chargers' practice Thursday afternoon as veterans who receive extra rest.
    Coach Norv Turner said the rest also allows Chargers reserves to see more action and get evaluated more extensively.
    Guard/center Rex Hadnot took every rep with the first team at center, and backups moved up a level at the other spots. As a result, Colin Baxter worked extensively at guard and David Molk logged many snaps as the second-team center. Bront Bird was given heavy reps at inside linebacker.
    "We have guys at their positions that we need to get more looks at," Turner said, referring to the veterans who didn't practice. "It rests the veterans who were kept out and gets more reps to guys that really need them."
    Turner has also been switching players between units, especially for sub packages and unique situations. That's an attempt to acclimate players to different personnel and maximize the effectiveness of each package.
    "I tell our guys about three times per week to not get caught up in who's playing with which team," Turner said. "We're working towards getting ready to play our opening game. There are a lot of things we're doing, and if players get caught up in all that, it'll affect how they perform. We're going to have a lot of combinations throughout training camp and the preseason."
    Everything by design
    There are no aspects of Chargers training camp that aren't arranged by design. That applies to the preseason schedule, which offers different challenges in each game and always includes a long road trip for a night game.
    The same can be said for the practice schedule, which starts to vary in the days before the Aug. 9 preseason opener versus Green Bay.
    The team practiced Wednesday night at Qualcomm Stadium, and the players had early weightlifting sessions on Thursday before a physical afternoon practice.
    "I was impressed by how the team responded," Turner said. "We like to mix things up and get them out of routines, and it's a positive to see how they've given the same effort despite the adjustments in the schedule."
    It will happen again Saturday during Fan Fest, and again Aug. 20-21 when the team hosts intersquad practices with the Dallas Cowboys.
    Injury updates
    • WR Eddie Royal returned to the team after an absence for personal reasons, although he remains sidelined with a leg injury. OLB Larry English (hamstring), QB Charlie Whitehurst (knee), DE Corey Liuget, WR Richard Goodman, LT Jared Gaither and CBs Antoine Cason and Marcus Gilchristmissed Thursday afternoon's workout in pads.
    • WR Robert Meachem was back practicing after bruising his knee on Wednesday night.
    Upcoming schedule
    The team works out twice on Friday, including an afternoon practice from 4-6 p.m. that is open to the public. Fan Fest is on Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Admission is free. Players will not be available for autographs, but distinguished alumni will be throughout the practice session.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS NOTES: With Brown on board, Turner testing wildcat
    [​IMG]

Chargers running back Ronnie Brown could take some snaps under center instead of quarterback Philip Rivers, right, this season in the wildcat formation. Associated Press file photo

SAN DIEGO — Norv Turner has never been a big fan of the wildcat formation.
    The run-based alignment in which the ball is snapped directly to a running back has been used minimally by the Chargers' head coach and offensive play-caller, but the offseason acquisition of Ronnie Brown may have changed his attitude a bit.
    The veteran back, who's perhaps the NFL's best at operating the wildcat, could prompt Turner to add the smallest of wrinkles to his playbook.
    "It's a way to get some runs against a team that doesn't handle it well," Turner said. "I could envision us running it if it helps us match up against a team that's not very good at it. There are people that believe it takes away from the quarterback, but if it's three or four plays over the course of a game, there's some good to be gained from it."
    The Chargers typically spend a little time on the wildcat during training camp, as much to teach the defense how to stop it as anything. They did so on Friday, in the morning walk-through and the afternoon practice.
    "We're trying things in camp, which is what this time of year is good for," Brown said. "I personally like the formation because it allows you to get some different guys on the field and give defenses a real different look. It's not a regular thing, but the variation helps."
    The wildcat also generally sends the quarterback in motion while giving the running back an option to rush or pass after taking the direct snap. That meant quarterback Philip Rivers had to run a deep route Friday.
    I for one do NOT want to see Rivers running down the field making himself an even bigger target for injury. :mad:
    "I ran one today, and when you run deep and they don't throw it to you, it's not very fun," he said. "So I don't envy the guys that do that all the time."

Replacement refs in town
    The Chargers, as with every NFL team, have NFL officials come to training camp. They arrived at Chargers Park this week to officiate practices and get their yellow hankies ready.
    But they aren't the usual officials. They're replacement refs.
    The NFL has implemented a lockout of officials from the NFL Referees Association, and the league says it is prepared to play the season without them. Replacement officials, who come from anywhere but a BCS college football conference, will used Sunday in the Hall of Fame game between the Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints in Canton, Ohio.
    The reaction of Chargers players to the prospect of replacement officials has been mixed.
    "There is a certain comfort level with the crews and the head referees that we've had now for many years," Rivers said. "You know all of them and how they operate. So there would be a bit of an adjustment, but it's not a big concern when it's something that we can't control."
    Said outside linebacker Shaun Phillips: "If we get some guys out there that are new, of course we're (going to) have some missed calls. But at the end of the day, the result shouldn't come down to a referee. It's 11 guys versus 11 guys out there."
    Turner doesn't think it will be an issue because of the work the fill-ins are getting in NFL camps across the country.
    "The league has a great plan to get these guys ready," Turner said. "I think (having them active in the regular season) will be less of an issue because they're out here getting opportunities to work. They've been out here and they'll be at the stadium for Fan Fest tomorrow. We'll play a lot of game situations, which should be beneficial for them."

No autographs, please
    The team's annual Fan Fest is set for Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Qualcomm. But for the first time in years, Chargers players will not be signing autographs following the 10:15 p.m.-noon practice.
    Instead, former players such as Darren Bennett, Anthony Miller and Chuck Muncie will sign autographs from 9:30-10:30 a.m. on the plaza concourse at gates A and G.
    Team spokesman Bill Johnston said the autograph session is being restricted because of overwhelming numbers.
    "It got to the point where there were too many people," Johnston said. "We just couldn't satisfy everybody, and you hate to see kids walking away disappointed."
    The gates will open at 8:30 a.m., and admission is free. Also, single-game tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. at the stadium box office, three hours before they're available online.

Et cetera
    WR Eddie Royal (hamstring) is expected to miss a few weeks, and won't play Thursday's preseason opener against Green Bay. QB Charlie Whitehurst (knee) won't play, either, after missing practice Friday. OLB Larry English (hamstring), CB Antoine Cason, CB Marcus Gilchrist and LT Jared Gaither (back) also sat out, although their playing status remains undetermined. ... SS Atari Bigby was a physical presence with the first unit in his first prolonged action since bowing out with muscle tightness during the third practice of camp.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS TRAINING CAMP BLOG
    CHARGERS: Duel for nickel back job heating up

August 03, 2012 7:36 pm By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com
    Last year's nickel back isn't on the current Chargers roster. Dante Hughes was not re-signed, leaving an opening in a formation used extensively by the team's defense.
    The front-runners for such a job are 2011 draft picks Marcus Gilchrist and Shareece Wright, although Gilchrist would seem to have the upper hand given his experience at the post at Clemson and at times during his rookie season in the pros.
    But, as they often do, camp injuries create opportunities for others.
    "The competition for that job will be ongoing throughout the early portions of camp," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "But Marcus has missed some time and Shareece (Wright) has really taken advantage."
    Wright has been able to thanks to an increased comfort level with the defense. Wright missed his rookie offseason due to the NFL lockout, and a hamstring issue hamstrung him early in camp. That's a double whammy for a young player, and set him back significantly. Fast forward a year, and Wright's much more ready to play.
    "It's like night and day how much more comfortable I am," Wright said recently. "But I also know I have a lot of work to do when it comes to understanding this defense and earning a role within it. I'm just going to keep grinding through camp. Hopefully good things will come from that."
    The player who isn't the nickel back will likely be the reserve corner for both Antoine Cason and Quentin Jammer. Rookie Greg Gatson has also played well in recent weeks.

Has anyone heard/seen any news regarding D'Andre Pressley's performance in camp? Hopefully we can stash him on the PS if he doesn't make the 53. The kids a hell of an athlete.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS TRAINING CAMP
    CHARGERS NOTES: Royal takes halting step toward return

[​IMG]

Chargers receiver Eddie Royal doesn't believe he'll be sidelined with a groin injury too much longer. Associated Press file photo

August 04, 2012 4:30 pm • By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO — Eddie Royal left Saturday's practice as encouraged as he has been since injuring his groin early in Chargers training camp. The veteran wide receiver did some side work before the Fan Fest session at Qualcomm Stadium and was pleased by his ability to run and cut.
    Royal didn't follow that effort by donning pads and practicing in front of nearly 10,000 fans, and he isn't expected to do so before Thursday's exhibition opener against the Green Bay Packers. But he believes he's making progress.
    "I feel good. I really do," Royal said. "I'd like to get out there soon and get in a rhythm, but it isn't up to me exactly when I can. Even I answer to the medical staff on that one."
    Royal admitted that frustration has crept in while he has been sidelined.
    "There's no good time to miss time," Royal said. "It's difficult to sit out, even this far away from the regular season. Camp is important, especially for a new guy like me to get into the flow of this offense. But I believe I'll get up to speed pretty fast. I just can't wait to get back out there."

Keep it simple
    Chargers coach Norv Turner kept his play-calling conservative during Saturday's Fan Fest, the team's biggest training camp event, which is open to the public.
    The team has a massive playbook full of intricate offensive options and blitz schemes, but Turner kept the most creative and useful of those away from the stadium.
    "We think we have some things that are going to give offenses problems," Turner said. "We were pretty vanilla today because you never know who is watching."

English sighting, no Gaither
    Outside linebacker Larry English joined his first practice in more than 10 days, but only for individual drills. With an off day Sunday, English could be active in team drills when training camp resumes on Monday.
    "It was good for him to get back and be part of it," Turner said. "He wants it so bad. There's going to be a time when he's completely healthy, and I'm looking forward to it."
    Jared Gaither continues to sit out with back problems, although he was moving around the sideline better than a few days ago. Turner maintained that the injury won't result in a long-term absence, but he would like to see his starting left tackle back in the fray.
    "We need to get Gaither back," Turner said. "He's making progress, but we'll see with him. It's still a day-to-day thing."

Et cetera
    Returning WRs Vincent Brown and Malcom Floyd continue to be the primary targets over veteran import Robert Meachem, but QB Philip Rivers said after Saturday's session that their chemistry continues to improve. ... FS Eric Weddle has been catching punts in recent days, but would only do so in the regular season in an emergency and would only be allowed to make a fair catch. ... CBs Marcus Gilchrist and Antoine Cason, QB Charlie Whitehurst and WRs Richard Goodman and Roscoe Parrish didn't practice. OLB Jarret Johnson did not complete the full practice. ... NT Cam Thomas has switched his number from 76 to 93, which he wore at North Carolina.

Time to fix Camasaurus, Blue. ;)

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Sorry, was out of town last weekend, so didnt make it to fanfest. I will be at the game Thursday in my seats on the 35 yard line, 14th row. Close enough to hear them yell at people on the bench. I'll give you an update from that and hopefully one or two more practices. over the next couple fo weeks.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Excellent. I'll be out of town starting Thursday for a few days - probably wouldn't get the game live anyway.

I'll look forward to reading your review. :)

19. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Your seats sound like they're right by mine :)

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Nice, F39 Row 14 Seats 17-18 on the aisle. Gotta have an aisle seat when your 6'2", love the leg room.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Shorty. ;)

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Cool! We're seats 13 and 14 (or maybe 12 and 13... I can't remember) see you there!

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Hell, this is San Diego we're talking about. They're all out doing other things and enjoying Gods vacation paradise.

24. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    I remember back when I was 6'2" :)

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Ingram flashes on snuffed-out play

The whole world ran to Melvin Ingram's left during a pass play at Monday's practice.

And still, the Chargers rookie outside linebacker didn't give chase.

He stayed at home on the back end, waited and waited, and sure enough, the offensive action came sprinting back toward him.

Fullback Le'Ron McClain peeled off into the flat, and Ingram pounced, chasing him in coverage to shut down what would've been an easy reception.

It's the kind of thing that gets Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano going.

"You see something like that, for a rookie to be able to see that," Pagano said, "because they kind of motioned the tight end out and it was more of a misdirection play. For him to ... see that type of stuff, that was impressive.

"He's a football player. That's what football players do. They can see football, they play football, and that's what it's about. It's cool. You just see the instincts in everything that he does. It's exciting to watch him work."

Said Ingram: "I can't even explain it. I don't know. It's just me playing football."

The first-round draft pick will make his NFL debut at the team's preseason opener Thursday against the Packers.

It'll be the Chargers' first chance to turn the rookie loose, as even during camp's contact practices, the team pulls the reins in the interest of player health.

"I think he's going to be really special," coach Norv Turner said. "He's got a very physical presence. You look at those outside linebackers that have had great success in this league. They have a physical presence."

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    2012 DROY. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chargers Notebook: QB Charlie Whitehurst makes partial return to practice
    By Dan McLellan | CBSSports.com
    August 6, 2012 11:24 pm ET

• The
    Chargers

• returned to practice on Monday after taking Sunday off. The special teams had a walk-thru in the morning, while the afternoon's full team practice was crisp and had plenty of action.

“I was really impressed on how they responded and came back after a day off,” coach Norv Turner said. “That was as active a practice as we have had. I was particularly impressed with the defense. I thought our defensive front was moving extremely fast.”

The day began with the announcement Shannon Eastin will become the first woman to be part of an NFL officiating crew when the Chargers host the Packers this Thursday night. “It is historic,” Turner said. “I am excited about it.”

What stood out: The full practice began with the ball placed on the 1-yard line. RB Ryan Mathews promptly gave the offense some breathing room when he busted through the middle of the line for a nice gain. TE Antonio Gates and WR Robert Meachem each had a one-handed reception. The D-line got pressure on the QB several times, which would likely have been sacks. This included a play where QB Philip Rivers was bumped and then appeared to favor his groin for the remainder of the series. Rivers even took time to stretch between snaps, but returned to play the next series.

“[Rivers] has been stretching a lot,” Turner said. “I am not concerned about it. As I told him, ‘When you get over 30 (years old), it takes a little while to get loose and sometimes you feel a little of those aches and pains a bit more than when you were 26.'”

Turner also said Rivers retorted back, "I am not over 30. I am 30."

Position battles: OT Mario Henderson (free agent, Raiders) played LT with the second-string. Henderson has primarily practiced on RT, but is hopeful he can be used as a backup on both sides at OT this season. “That is one of my main things that I am trying to show them,” Henderson said of being capable of playing both sides.

Henderson is attempting to return to the NFL after being out of the league last season.

Injury updates: CB Antoine Cason (groin strain) returned to full participation. QB Charlie Whitehurst (sore MCL) participated in the QB individual drills for the first time since July 26 when he suffered the injury, but is still expected to miss the first two preseason games. CB Marcus Gilchrist, WR Richard Goodman, OLB Jarret Johnson, WR Eddie Royal (leg), T Phil Trautwein and G Johnnie Troutman (pectoral), worked out on the side and did not participate in practice. Johnson (hamstring) was the only new player not to participate. LT Jared Gaither (back spasms) also did not practice. Larry English (hamstring) participated in his second consecutive practice, but saw limited reps. Troutman and G-T Brandyn Dombrowski (foot, cyst) have yet to participate. The rest may return to practice next week, but are not likely to play in Thursday's preseason game against the Packers.

Blackout lifted: The Chargers announced that enough tickets were sold to lift the local blackout for Thursday's preseason game against the Packers. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN and locally in San Diego on CBS affiliate KFMB-TV, Ch. 8. Kickoff is 5:00 pm PT.

What's next: The Chargers will return to practice on Tuesday morning with a walkthrough. Fans are invited to Chargers Park to observe Tuesday's full practice in the afternoon from 3:45 to 6:00 pm.

Still no Gaither. I hope Mike Harris really can step in, at least for awhile. This situation gives me great concern - I can only imagine how Rivers is feeling.:cautious:

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    This is getting crazy. I'm now hearing them talk about Gaither having a history of this esp when he has just got paid.

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Where did you hear this little tidbit?

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The mediots love to stir the **** where there's nothing to support the stirring.

Has he had back issues? Yes.

Does he have a bad work ethic? That depends on if you want to listen to the Ravens, who moved him to the right side, & the Chiefs, under the cool-as-a-cucumber Todd Haley. :rolleyes:

Time will tell but I'll withhold judgment on him until facts prove him a money-grubbing sloth.Then I'll blame AJ. :whistling: