1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OK locals - where's the TC news?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Might be time to try some acupuncture or other "unconventional" therapy to get his back back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    He's a big man and back problems would seem to be more debilitating when crouching into a 3 point stance. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    I've heard more than one mediot (as Buck calls em) say this. Acee has been the most recent but he didn't go as far as say he thought this was the case. He put it out there but he was giving Gaither the benefit of the doubt for now. Just listened to AJ's interview with D Smith. There is no chance of Marcus McNeill coming back. Feel sorry for the guy, when he was 100% and on his game he was a great LT. Even had the pleasure of meeting him in Chargers park in 09 when we were out there, real nice guy, great sense of humour.

I see Gehlken is latest to mention the Gaither worries in his mailbag;

To be clear, had you asked, could just as easily list reasons why you should be concerned (injury history, past character issues, $24.5 million contract, importance of left tackle position).

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then you go out an get a true FB, you don't tell the guy the offense is going in a different, and pick up scrubs like Hester

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He wasn't a great player at the time, but the Chargers didn't appear to care about the FB position either as the offensive scheme changed

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Thanks for the reply. One thing I have learned after 40 something years of this game, never believe anything you've read or heard until game time. I'd hope that the chargers front office would have protected themselves in some fashion contractually against such incident. It's just a wait and see period right now and I'll hold out hope for the better ending to this situation as it unfolds.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Hell, I don't believe some of the stuff I see during game time nor the bs explanations afterward.
    That said, Bolts SBW 2013. #destinyabouttimeeetc

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chargers: Five who need to make plays
    By Dan McLellan | CBSSports.com
    August 16, 2012 4:58 pm ET

The NFL preseason provides four opportunities for players on the bubble to distinguish themselves. A few good plays could make the difference in securing a spot on the 53-man roster or at least the practice squad. With one preseason game down, the San Diego Chargers have several players who desperately need to stand out in the remaining three games.
    RB Edwin Baker: Baker (round seven, 250th overall) has been overshadowed in camp by Michael Hayes (undrafted,Houston). Neither was impressive in the preseason opener against the Packers, but they are likely competing against each other for a spot on the practice squad.
    Hayes had six carries for 10 yards and a fumble. Baker only touched the ball once for three yards. Baker has seen a few more reps in practice this week and should have more carries against the Cowboys on Saturday.
    TE Kory Sperry: Sperry played in all 16 games for the Chargers with four starts last season but only had one catch for 32 yards. He has eight career receptions for 136 yards in three seasons. He didn't have a catch in the preseason opener.
    Sperry's chances of making this year's roster appear to be quickly dimming. TE Dante Rosario (free agent, Broncos) has consistently received more reps than Sperry in practice. Rosario had one reception for 9 yards against the Packers. Sperry must take advantage of any opportunities he receives the remainder of preseason.
    TE Ladarius Green: Green (round four, 110th overall pick) had no catches against the Packers and seldom touched the ball through the first two weeks of camp. His reps dramatically increased this week, and he has made several nice plays.
    QB Philip Rivers said Green is the most improved offensive player. To be included on the roster, Green needs to prove he can perform in game situations as well as he has in practice.
    WR-KR Roscoe Parrish: Parrish (free agent, Bills) is competing for the fifth WR spot with incumbent WR-KR Richard Goodman and Micheal Spurlock (free agent, Buccaneers). Spurlock had two catches for 52 yards and returned two kickoffs for a 13-yard average against the Packers. Parrish and Goodman did not play.
    Even with Spurlock's strong performance, Goodman is considered a leading candidate for the fifth spot because he's the fastest of the three. Parrish must make some big plays if he has any chance at winning the job.
    SS Corey Lynch: Lynch (free agent, Buccaneers) has done everything right. He has intercepted Rivers at least three times in practice and was the second highest (four) tackler against the Packers.
    But Lynch is behind Atari Bigby (free agent, Seattle) and Brandon Taylor (round three, 73rd overall pick). S Darrell Stuckey is a special teams standout and backup to FS Eric Weddle.
    The Chargers may not keep five safeties no matter how well Lynch plays. San Diego will already carry an additional RB with the injury to Ryan Mathews (broken clavicle) and may carry a fourth TE if Green makes the cut. Nevertheless, if Lynch continues to play well it will be a difficult decision to cut him.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Great news!!!

CHARGERS: Royal happy to rejoin practice after injury
    [​IMG]

Lenny Ignelzi

San Diego Chargers receiver Eddie Royal during practice Thursday, May 31, 2012 in San Diego. (AP Photo\/Lenny Ignelzi)

SAN DIEGO ---- Eddie Royal likes being in the huddle. He likes being involved in practice, no matter how far removed from a game that actually matters.
    Before Wednesday, the Chargers receiver hadn't been in one for almost a month. Royal was sidelined with a groin injury the Chargers treated carefully to avoid the possibility of re-injury closer to the regular season.
    Royal wanted nothing of it. He would tell anyone with a recorder that he was running around and feeling fine, if only the training staff would let him back on the field.
    He finally got his wish Wednesday, rejoining team activities on the final full practice before Friday's exhibition against Minnesota.
    "I caught my first ball in live action in quite some time, and it felt really good," Royal said. "It's one thing to be watching and another to be in the huddle. It makes you feel more a part of the family. I'm happy to be back."
    The Chargers didn't allow Royal to go all out in an attempt to ease him back in, but the optimism surrounding the veteran's potential in this offense soared back to offseason levels.
    The strong foundation quarterback Philip Rivers built with Royal during the OTAs remains after the long layoff, with enough time remaining to get in sync.
    "Philip and Eddie got that chemistry real fast," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "Eddie is a bit more the style receiver that we're used to. He's very comfortable with our system and our routes and Philip was very comfortable throwing the ball to him."
    Despite such praise for his offseason and his ability to look sharp after being out so long, Royal still feels like he's playing catch-up. He won't play Friday or much at all in the Aug. 30 preseason finale at San Francisco, but Royal believes he can make up for lost time on the practice field.
    "Philip and I started working on something good in the offseason and laid a solid foundation, but you have to keep building on that," Royal said. "You always want to keep working on the timing and the little details that take a while to perfect.
    "That's what practice is important for. Every route I run and ball that I catch is valuable when you're trying to catch up after an injury. Since I missed some time, I want to get out there and do the little things that the other guys have been working on throughout training camp."
    Despite Royal's claims, Turner said his new receiver looked pretty good on his first day back.
    "He's playing like Eddie Royal," Turner said. "He's fast and he changes directions as quick as anyone I've been around. He had a big smile on his face all through practice. I know he was excited to get back out there."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Royal’s Return Has Chargers Ecstatic

Link
    Eddie Royal[​IMG] lined up in the left slot, ran a few yards up field and turned on a dime. As he caught the perfectPhilip Rivers[​IMG] throw and cradled it in, a roar of applause echoed throughout Chargers Park.
    These cheers weren’t from the thousands of fans at Qualcomm Stadium urging on their heroes on a Sunday afternoon. Instead, it was spontaneous adulation coming from his teammates thrilled to have their dynamic wide receiver back in the fold.
    “We haven’t had him out there at all in camp,” said Rivers. “So we all just gave him a little roar to know how happy we were to have him back.”
    Royal suffered a leg strain on the first day of training camp making the team extra cautious with the 5-foot-10, 185-pounder who was one of the Chargers’ biggest offseason acquisitions. The fifth-year pro says the injury was a difficult one to overcome, but now that he is feeling 100%, he looks forward to a strong season as a member of the Bolts.
    “It was a tough injury for a receiver, especially for me because a lot of cutting and quick movements is what I do,” he said. “I just really wanted to get it to where I’m comfortable out there and I feel I’m there now.”
    Head coach Norv Turner has been steadfast in his unwavering enthusiasm of Royal, unable to contain his excitement over the lightning quick jitterbug of a receiver. As a result, he was more than pleased to have the explosive weapon return to action today.
    “It was good to have him back,” said Turner. “He looked real good. He’s Eddie Royal. He’s fast and quick and when he’s healthy, he changes directions as quickly as anyone I’ve been around. And he has a big smile on his face because he’s been wanting to get back out here.”
    Another person with a big smile on his face was Rivers, who knows what a special talent Royal is and what he will mean to this offense in 2012.
    “Eddie is obviously going to be a big part of it for us,” he said. “Unfortunately, he got nicked up early in camp, so it was good to have him back out there and get him into the flow. He’s going to be smart with it though so we can have him for the opener. I’m excited about what he brings to the table.”
    The enthusiasm and support that Turner, Rivers and the entire team has shown Royal has meant a lot to the receiver. After practice, he spoke glowingly about each and every one of them, expressing just how much he appreciated their encouragement the last few weeks.
    “It’s been great having the players and the coaches and everybody in the organization behind me and backing me,” he said. “It really made me feel like this is a family, especially with it being my first year here. The support has been great.”
    Royal is not expected to play in Friday night’s game vs. the Minnesota Vikings, but hopes to get some action in the team’s final preseason game next Thursday against the San Francisco 49ers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chargers get 8 players back to practice
    [​IMG]
    Chargers center Nick Hardwick (concussion) returned to practice Saturday, solidifying a Week 1 starting offensive line that will be

The Chargers won't have Vincent Brown in Week 1.

They probably won't have Ryan Mathews or Jared Gaither, either.

But as far as preparing those who will see the field during the season opener, Saturday's practice was a productive one.
    Eight players, including two starters, returned to participation. All missed the final preseason game and a range of anywhere between a few days to a few weeks of practice leading up.
    "We had a lot of guys get an introduction to our first regular-season game," coach Norv Turner said.
    On offense, starting center Nick Hardwick was back from a concussion suffered Aug. 21 during a joint practice with the Cowboys.
    He took mental reps last week and said it was smooth transition Saturday onto the field.
    "I've played a ton of ball," Hardwick, 31, said, "so it's a matter of going out and turning it loose and letting your body do what it knows how to do. Shut your brain off, and don't think too much. You know what you're doing. You know where the guys are lined up. Just play ball."
    With Hardwick healthy and rookie left tackle Michael Harris poised to start for Gaither, the Chargers have a full practice week ahead to prepare their Week 1 starting line.
    Due to injuries, it'll be the first time since the Aug. 9 preseason opener they've played together in a game.
    An addition at tackle is still expected to be made.
    As it stands, starting left guard Tyronne Green is the top reserve option. Guard-center Rex Hadnot would step in for Green in that scenario.
    "I'm the employee. They're the boss," Green said. "If they need me to go out there to tackle, I've got to go out there. Just play it to the best of my ability."
    Tight end Dante Rosario (leg) and running back Curtis Brinkley (thigh) also returned.
    On defense, cornerbacks Quentin Jammer, Marcus Gilchrist and Shareece Wright made it back from hamstring injuries. The Chargers have been actively evaluating the market for depth at cornerback, too.
    They didn't express interest in Drayton Florence, who reportedly came to terms Saturday with the Lions.
    Outside linebacker Melvin Ingram (thigh; out since Aug. 24) and safety Darrell Stuckey (concussion; out since Aug. 9) practiced.
    Stuckey and Hardwick passed a concussion test earlier in the week, clearing them for participation.

Link