1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OK, one week until rookies report...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jul 16, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Now can we start seeing some signings? as far as I know only Chandler has signed.

P.S. will Oliver get the same contract as Chandler?

• Like Like x 1
  2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Has any 1st rounder signed yet???

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm not sure but I think one has, maybe Olsen with the bears :icon_shrug:

4. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Since the rookies come out of a pool of money do we get extra since we picked Oliver? Or do we have to fit him in with the same money??

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    We have to fit him with the same $$$. :yes:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Both.

Since the rookie pool is a salary cap within a cap, the rookie pool from next years 4th rounder gets credited to this years rookie pool. That way we end up having enough money to sign the dude. That is the way I understand the mechanics.

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    12 days... :yes:

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    27 DAYS - GAME 1

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    26 more Shotgunning training days left!

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hmmm... I read this quote from this article...

And assumed that our rookie pool was the same this year whether or not you take a guy in the supplemental draft. But re-reading it I guess it doesn't really make clear whether your rookie pool increases or not.

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Staley #28 w/ 49ers
    Olsen #31 w/ Bears

This helps slot Davis for us, get it done AJ!:yes:

12. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    How do our traded picks to Chicago play into this? Did that reduce the money in our pool, or can we use that to help sign Oliver?

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The rookie pool has to increase by common sense. I have read many conflicting stories about this and the more that I think about it of course it does. The Pasta Belly article you referenced is one of them. The dude does not know WTF he is taking about....

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It would seem that it is logical that it counts on this years pool, or more people would use earlier picks to obtain some of these guys.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Here is some more info I just dug up......

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Consider my understanding supplemented

Turns out the mysterious NFL supplemental draft is more mysterious than it appears, even for the national experts.

Contrary to a number of media reports -- including the one I cited yesterday from the Boston Globe's Mike Reiss and ESPN.com guru Len Pasquarelli's preview -- a team's rookie salary cap does adjust if it selects a player in the supplemental draft, according to an e-mail I just received from NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

Want to get really technical? Have at it, Greg.

"The amount is equal to the formula allotment for the corresponding choice in that league year's college draft. In the subsequent league year, after formula allotments have been established for each selection position in the college draft, the amount of the formula allotment for the selection used in the prior year's supplemental draft is deducted from the club's rookie allocation."

Translation: The San Diego Chargers and Baltimore Ravens will have extra wiggle room for negotiating contracts with Paul Oliver and Jared Gaither, respectively, and the amount alloted to sign them is deducted from the next year's pool after the new rates are calculated. Keep the interest.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

THE REAL MEDIA WAS WR-WR-WR-INCORRECT ABOUT SUPPLEMENTAL ROOKIE POOL

Several readers have asked us to address the conflict between our Thursday night report that the teams who exercise picks in the supplemental draft will receive additional space in their rookie salary pools to account for the extra picks and reports from the "real" media indicating that any team that uses a supplemental pick must find a way to pay the guy from their current allocation.

Our response to the e-mails we received on this topic was simple: "We're right and they're wrong."

Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that, indeed, the others (including our pal Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com) were mistaken to suggest that no extra rookie allocation would flow to teams adding more picks via the supplemental pool of players.

As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Pelissero (man, this business attracts a lot of Eye-talians), "The amount is equal to the formula allotment for the corresponding choice in that league year's college draft. In the subsequent league year, after formula allotments have been established for each selection position in the college draft, the amount of the formula allotment for the selection used in the prior year's supplemental draft is deducted from the club's rookie allocation."

The rule reflects basic common sense. Really, why in the hell would anyone think that any other rule applied? If you use a 2008 pick now, then you receive an extra rookie pool allocation in order to get the pick signed. Since you also lose the corresponding 2008 pick, the total allocation is necessarily lower in 2008.

The other rule (i.e., the incorrect one) would potentially force teams who intend to pick a guy in round one of the supplemental draft to relinquish the rights to one or more draft picks in order to get the supplemental first-rounder signed.

With all that said, the team that uses one or more supplemental picks still must comply with the overall salary cap; the availability of additional rookie pool space does not result in additional cap room.

***The last paragraph explains the "salary cap within the cap" concept. The rookie pool cap goes up but the overall cap stays the same.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    My hed essplode :icon_eek:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ahhh it is simple really.

Next years rookie pool will be decreased by whatever we pay the dude and credited to this year's rookie pool.

The Salary cap is ~$110 Million. Within the overall salary cap is the rookie pool's cap or a cap within a cap.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Very nice trumpie :yes: :tup:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Even the so-called national experts, as we just saw, do not get it right and make **** more confusing than is intended.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    HAve we figured out how many rookies we can beat with a baseball bat yet?

21. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    This isn't surprising. A few years ago when Mike Williams was rumored to be hitting the supplemental draft, I found two different sources (including Mort @ ESPN and someone else) that gave two completely different explanations on how the supp draft worked. One said it was a lottery, the other based on next year's draft order.

Pasta belly is usually pretty accurate. However, there are a plethora of others that don't get it right far too often. For those who've ever read Clayton's bs, you'll find stat errors regularly in his articles, and that's pretty sad considering ESPN keeps stats on their own website. :icon_shrug:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I will normally just open up the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) and read it for myself.

Clayton looks like that Professor dude in SouthPark with Mr. Hand.

23. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Mr Garrison? Before he had a sex change or after? :icon_rofl:

You'd think the far majority of sports reporters would take the time and do the same. But it's all about breaking the story before everyone else. :tdown:

24. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

RAVENS, CHARGERS WILL GET EXTRA ROOKIE POOL ROOM

Several readers have asked us to explain the procedure for getting players selected in the supplemental draft under contract.

Although the Ravens and Chargers will lose a fifth-round and fourth-round pick in 2008, respectively, for their selections of tackle Jared Gaither and Paul Oliver, respectively, the players will be paid out of 2007 cap dollars, and the rookie pool maximums for both teams will be adjusted to reflect the addition of these players.

And, as one league source explained it to us, the process of adjusting the Ravens' and Chargers' rookie pools will give agents a rare glimpse into the manner in which the NFL management council values individual picks. Usually, the rookie pool numbers are handed out in a lump sum, with no per-pick allocation.

Okay, everyone can wake up now.

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Well then, that was a well needed nap.:tup:

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I wasn't sleeping

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

What's Sleep? :icon_party:

28. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

How about the "real" media and these other idiots just read the damn CBA?

CBA Article XVII

Article on Bengals.com after the Bengals took LB Brooks in the 2006 Supp draft:

The media is completely lost on the Salary Cap, CBA, player evals, and X's and O's ....