1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Okay okay.....Is Vaughn Martin for real?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 26, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Vaughn Martin (DT)
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 331
    College: Western Ontario (Canada)
    Bench Reps (44)
    40 Time: 4.96 (remarkably fast for someone his size)

Also praised by coaches for being relentless and nasty, and being a physical specimin.

If this is for real how the hell is this guy not a top 5 overall pick?
    Were the Chargers the only team to scout him?
    And if they knew he was this good why did they wait so long to take him?
    NFL.com scouts compared him to Grady Jackson, if these reports are true I'd compare him to.......god, ok maybe just Albert Haynesworth.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Time will tell. But there have been some really good linemen taken int he later rounds.

Sometimes it is the school isnt big enough, sometimes it is the player doesnt get invited to the combines or doesnt have a good pro day...

Who can say. Lets hope for the best!

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Martin has never played American football. He went to school in Canada, where they play with a field that's ten yards longer, 12 men on the field, and only 3 downs.

He's amazingly gifted physically, but is extremely raw in technique and experience. That's why he was drafted so low.

Give him a year or two to learn and develop, and I think we'll have one hell of a player.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Apparently quite a few teams scouted him.....

I'm just thru listening to his interview on pick cam. WOW just WOW, he blew me away. He sounds like a coach, if this guy can perform half as well as he is intelligent we have ourselves a gem.

Sounds like a real smart guy, ready to goto work. I can see him getting close to Jamal and learning from the master.

Go get em Vaughn!!.

:tup:

5. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Teams were probably hesitant to take him because he played college ball in Canada, and Canadian Football rules are a bit different then American Football (they line up a different distance from each side compared to American rules, which makes a big difference when it comes to pass rush and defense) which means he'll have to adjust and re-learn the rules. There's also a question of whether he faced any real competition playing in the Canadian league versus the American leagues.

He's 6' 3" so he's not as big as Haynesworth, but still numbers-wise he does look very impressive, and we sure as heck can use another big, bruising specimen to take Igor's place (or at least groom to fill that position for the future).

6. mizzouchargerfan

mizzouchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I believe Jimmy Raye said quite a few teams were at his workout, but a guy that big who benched 225 i think 45 times, I guess it was the competition that scared off everyone else. I hope he turns out to be a Michael Turner steal type pick.