1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OL Joe Barksdale visiting Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, May 18, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Please let them sign him

Dunlap-Franklin-Watt-Fluker-Barksdale:abq2::abq2::abq2::abq2::abq2:

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    He needs to be able to play RG as well if he can't beat out Fluker, which I think is a longshot. You wouldn't want Fluker to be switching to RG after a long camp battle at RT with Barksdale and then behind on RG duties or on the bench, which would be unthinkable.

So one of these guys needs to see significant time early on at RG for this to work.

4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Barksdale and Fluker seem like the same player to me. Both strong in the run game but lack the foot speed in protection against speed rushers. Not sure what we'd be gaining by signing Barksdale unless we are moving DJ inside. Then we would upgrade RG and basically remain the same at RT. Although our run game could be real sick. It's been reported Barksdale turned down @4 million/ year from Tennessee. That seems fair to me, not sure what he's looking for in the ways of money, but if he wants more than that I'd probably pass

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    [​IMG]

We have ourselves a pretty big line now

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Don't think our pass blocking will be good

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Might not be that good, but it'll be better than last year. Adding Barksdale & Franklin to this line, along with retaining Dunlap should make it a marked improvement.

Run block wise, the right side should have some power there, and with the addition of Melvin & return of Woodhead, our run game should be much improved, hopefully opening up the pass game a little more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Barksdale is so much better than Troutman its not funny. They'll line him and Fluker up at RT and RG, see who handles each spot better. My money is on Barksdale playing RT because his feet are a little better than Flukes, but Fluker has lost weight this off season and been working on his feet and quickness, so who knows. Plus, dude was cheap and fills a need. Classic TT after draft signing. Low money, low risk, high chance of making a difference on this team.

• Like Like x 3
  11. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    NFL.com is saying they believe Fluker will kick inside with this signing and is a potential pro bowler at that spot.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I'm not sure the battle for RT isn't really Hairston vs Barksdale. Not sure I'm confident in any of our options at that position, but bumping Troutman is a must.

13. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    I think we all assume Troutman is being relegated to back up duties, just comes down to how well Fluker has worked this off season to correct his deficiencies. Can he hold on to RT, or move inside and be a bad *** RG. I think Barksdale will blow Hairston out of the water for RT, but honestly, if either one of them is better than what Fluke was last year, and they have Fluke inside them to handle the inside rush, we are going to be a top 5 offense.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Looks to me like a paid tryout to make the club. I would like to see something good come out of all this maneuvering.

15. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    • Like Like x 3
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Having the ability to allow one of our guards to give help to the OT (at least off-the-snap) because we're not starting a new center every-other week will probably help a lot too.

McCoy has made no secret, though, that he wants to run-early and run often - if we can actually get consistent gains on early-down runs this season, the necessity to pass or to operate out of shotgun as much as we did last season won't be there. Fairly certain that McCoy is trying to build, offensively, what San Francisco was finding success with - except, you know, with a QB that's actually capable of making more than one-read... and has to because he doesn't have the long-speed of a gazelle. Granted, we don't have anything close to the defense San Fran did during that span, but it is what it is.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I like the moves we're making. With a little luck the injuries won't be anywhere near as bad this season. I'm hoping that having a running threat will mean there just won't be so much pressure on the line from a passing perspective. Might cover up some perceived weaknesses.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I know nothing about this guy (as is the case with most offensive linemen) but it'd be awesome if we found another King Dunlap on the cheap.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The Rams fans I know are rather upset they didn't put up more of an effort to re-sign him. He'd had to play RT largely out of necessity - because Rodger Saffold could never stay healthy - but even when Saffold returned from injury, Barksdale maintained the position and forced Saffold to kick inside to RG (where he did quite well).

He's one of those guys who slipped from the early-on projections of Day 1-2 selection once it was determined he didn't have the stuff to man the blind-side at the next level. Better run-blocker than pass-blocker, where his short-comings have largely been awareness issues. Those definitely improved in his time St. Louis, but still come back to bite him every now and again. His technique is on par, if not better than Fluker's, and his feet aren't quite as heavy (that said, his punch isn't quite as heavy either, so there's a trade-off one way or another).

20. Ski

Ski BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I like this signing. I think part of the reason Fluke didn't play as well at RT last season was because he was trying to cover the tackle and guard positions. He couldn't trust who played guard. Either way, I think the O line issue has been addressed.

21. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    I agree that our O Line has been addressed and Barksdale should be as good as anyone we could have signed in the third or fourth round. Now that we've signed an OL, and a free agent TE, I expect Tommy T to sign a D lineman to compete as well. Then just pick the best 53 and go.

22. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I have been all over TT's case with some of his offseason moves, but I like the signing of Barksdale. I think that should make us better at RG and maybe even RT too depending upon who will ultimately play RT and who will ultimately play RG. Now the pressure is on Fluker. It should be an interesting competition for the RT spot.

This does help make up for not getting a RG/RT in the draft. Good move by TT.

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Any move that puts Troutman on the bench is a win for the franchise.

24. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    On the bench? I'm looking more for out the door! But baby steps I guess...

25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I thought Troutman showed promise at LG in 2013, but he's just terrible at RG. Also, he was not well conditioned at the start of camp last year, which counting his redshirt rookie season was year three for the dude. Being ill-prepared and poorly conditioned is just a bad sign at that point since he knew there was an open spot at RG. If you are a guard on a Joe D' team you play both spots and backup center if needed. Does anyone think Troutman is a suitable fill-in for any position other than LG? I don't, so I think the odds he's cut are rising rapidly. I think Sirles is closing in on him anyway, but with this latest move. I have doubts he makes the team unless he's a new man. Doesn't help him he's previous regime pick either.

26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Sounds like the visit ending up with the Chargers having a house guest that is staying for a while.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I agree, but ultimately - with the way that this team and organization has seemed to operate under McCoy/Telescopo - someone's going to have to beat him out for his spot, because they do place an intrinsic value on "starting/real-time experience," when it comes to back-ups.

Obviously, Troutman is making that an easier feat for the likes of Robinson, Sirles, Watts, Huey, and Beckwith (of whom we likely keep 2, 3 at most spots total with Troutman factored in there) to take his spot from him. I haven't seen anything to confirm it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckwith getting some snaps at center in the preseason to see if he can bolster his case with versatility there.