1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Olivea getting in some time where he belongs- RG

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    As ive been saying hwere he should be and will end up..........and underoath said he would never be moved :lol:

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/eight-sit-out.htm

Eight sit out practice

Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size small medium large RSS feed

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    Since quarterback Philip Rivers couldn’t be in the huddle Wednesday, he tried to have some say over what was going on in it.

“He coached a lot,” Head Coach Norv Turner laughed. “He’s trying to get me straightened out.”

Turner went on to say that Rivers was unsuccessful in his attempts to change the coach’s mind and allow him to practice Wednesday.

“Philip wanted to practice today,” Turner said. “It was really our decision, (Head Athletic Trainer) James (Collins) and myself to not practice him today. I’d expect him to practice tomorrow.”

Rivers’ left leg was wrapped and he wore a knee brace as he watched practice with Turner Wednesday. On Monday, the Bolts’ starting signal caller was sore but said he believed he’d play Sunday against the Lions. Rivers was unable to meet with reporters following practice because he was getting treatment on his sprained knee.

Turner said he’ll wait until Rivers gets back on the practice field before making a prognosis as to whether or not his starting quarterback will play.

“I would never answer that until I see him practice,” Turner said. “The fact that he wanted to practice today didn’t mean that he was able to. I’d be able to answer that better after he practices tomorrow and we see what he can do.”

Others not practicing Wednesday included linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee), guard Mike Goff (foot), tight end Antonio Gates (back), defensive tackle Jamal Williams (ankle), defensive end Luis Castillo (ankle) and fullback Lorenzo Neal (fibula).

Turner said that both Scott Mruczkowski and Shane Olivea spent time working at Goff’s right guard position Wednesday and the head coach expressed his confidence in backup quarterback Billy Volek.

Earlier Merriman had been ruled out of Sunday’s game against Detroit. Turner has classified the two-time Pro Bowler as week to week but was encouraged by what he saw from him Wednesday.

“I think Shawne has kind of surprised everybody,” Turner said. “He’s up moving around pretty good. It’s not been that long and he’s feeling pretty good. I think it’s one of those deals we’re going to have to evaluate it on a week-to-week basis.”

Turner said he expects at least a few players who missed Wednesday’s work to be back on the field Thursday. He also promised that despite the importance of Sunday’s game, he’ll be smart about when each individual makes it back.

“We need to win,” Turner said. “We’re not going to risk anyone’s health, and a guy who goes in and isn’t ready to play physically isn’t going to help you win. That’s why you have the guys we have on our team. We’ve had already examples of guys stepping in and helping us and making plays. This Sunday, maybe the following week, we need some guys to step up and help us win.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The 7th round feel good story has ended. The dude needs to be traded or outright released.

underoath was "supremely" confident or some ****.

The experiment to make fans feel good for the underdog is finito. Done. The love affair is over. Divorce time. :yes:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Has anyone else seen the sideline shots of Olivea on TV during the games? He seriously looks like he has major butt-hurt. :lol:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    sucks,

he's my adopted Bolt

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe being butthurt will translate into playing harder at RG. If not, don't let the door hit your *** on the way out, Shane.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you all know my boy has been hurt all year right??

I think its way to early to throw him under the bus

:no::no::no:

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    PS. Dude is signed through 2012 so I'm not the only one who thinks he can bring the goods!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'd prefer
    "Don't let the door hit you but be sure to hold it open for whatever a trade for your worthless *** will bring"

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    CUT LEAF!!!

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

They can cut his *** and take the hit.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK, that's it!!

Thumper, will you please mask that unmentionable's name henceforth? I can't bear to see his name here again. :no: :icon_sad: :icon_banana:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Let's us just wait and see what he does at RG. If that doesn't pan out then we can get rid of him then. We have nothing to lose by experimenting with guys who might have been unsuccessful merely because they were in the wrong spot. Plenty of time to cut him during next summer's camp if he falls on his face. If he works out, then we have Goff's replacement already here and we save a draft choice for something else-especially since we don't have a full compliment of them.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'm pretty high on Mrzucowski and I think we should see if someone would like to trade to acquire Olivea - maybe the Lions would want a decent guard/tackle at a reasonable price or we can get a pick back from the Dolphins

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I am all for letting him take his shot at OG.

I was just poking fun at Gramps since Olivea is his AaB, for stating that he is signed thru 2011. He is a free agent in 2012.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_evil:

you'll see

my boy will come back

from his back

:tup::tup::tup:

:lol::lol::lol:

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    If he and murch duke it out in camp, his trade value will increase. Right now it ain't much since he's been benched. I hope Erik Robertson is in the mix, too, next summer. If all three pan out, we have amazing depth and trade bait either for choices or a key player. Olivea may not be the ideal tackle, but his mean streak might mean his body type is a far better guard. We might be getting a look at that for a couple of weeks. He's already under an extended contract and if he can be good at guard then trading him shouldn't be in the cards. I really am curious how he will perform lining up right next to Hardwick. Those two might feed off of one another.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I have fallen off the Olivea to RG bandwagon.

I also think he'll be gone in 2008. I don't know what his problem is, but it's not talent, and something is wrong with him.

18. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    My eyes burn at the mere sight of that name...ugh. :blink:

That should be a four-letter word on this site. Where are the blasted censors?!?! :icon_wtf:

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Put this (L**f) in the filter, unless it's follow by blower or preceded by fig or let us.

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Yep. Now we need to maximize his value to some other team.

21. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Olivea fell off my radar when he quit on the team during the Baltimore game. He didn't even attempt to block anyone. I don't get it. You can't have a quitter in your locker room.

22. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I predict that he won't be with the team next year. :icon_tease:

23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Trade him to Cleveland for Sean Jones :yes:

24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Trade him for a third or fourth round pick.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Sure, id take that too but id rather have Sean Jones...if that is even possible. Jones is a SS and a pretty good one who hits well and has good size. Id rather have Weddle at FS.

The Browns probably wouldnt do it but i liked Sean Jones when he was at Georgia so this is my dream. You never know, their starting RT now is Ken Shaffer. Nothing special there.

26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Olivea is nothing special at tackle here. You're right, they probably won't do it.

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    That's a tough sell. I know circumstances are different, but Oakland got only a fourth for Randy Moss.

28. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Somebody will pay a fourth for a starting right tackle that is under contract. They can use the "change of scenery" excuse to say he'll play great for them.