1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Olivea hurt?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Saw this tid-bit in Kevin Acee's mail bag, I watched the game on TV and wasn't really paying attention to when Olivea was out or in, but he has been a huge let down this year.... give him more or less credit if he's playing hurt? Anyone have any thoughts on Clary?

----------------------
    Thanks for all your insight. I went to the game the other day and also reviewed the game later on tape. I saw a huge difference in the offensive line after Olivea went out of the game. He was really struggling to block anyone on running or passing plays. If you watch carefully, he was beaten every single play. Clary did a GREAT job, burying his man several times. Is Olivea hurt or did he simply just loose his job? Sounds like instead of calling out what a bad job he did, it is easier to say he is injured. They scored 29 points once Clary went in.
    Greg / San Diego

Answer
    Greg, you might be on to something. There are conflicting reports about Olivea's health.

Team says he is not hurt. He says he is.

Look for Clary to continue to play.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    [​IMG]

Olivea sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Either way, let's see what Clary's got. He played pretty well on Sunday.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Olivea has had problems with his back, which can get chronic. You can play through pain with a lot of things, but the back and the foot are the ones that can limit you the most, short of serious sprains and tears.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Trumpy is gonna get a ***** when he read this.

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hell, even I did. Seriously though, Clary can hold his own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am glad someone finally said something about Olivea because most know how I feel about the trenches and the right side of our O-Line. If you don't, then let me repeat myself for the bazillionth time, it SUCKS BALLS.

I think it is disgraceful when we have a pair of backs such as LT and the Burner and our O-Line plays like a bunch of pussses (this reads to the newbie I want our whole right side of the O-Line NUKED from the face of the EARTH).

Effing A.J. needs to **** me out some fat athletic slobs because pretty soon, windows will get busted, cars get burned, seats will be torn out from their anchors and heaved at the owners box and that is just to get warmed up.

Enough is enough. Fck this **** and to those who want to hide behind LT's record last year can bite my dangler. Yeah you too. :yes: :icon_finger:

Until we get better in the trenches, stay on the edges of your seats.

I truly hope Olivea gets better so we can trade his sorryass next year.

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Olivea's ego is the only thing that is hurt. He is a bad tackle, and will be fine as a backup. Clary has more upside, and can put some more size on his frame. Get him experience now, and let him gel with the group over the next few games. Now to fix the RG position. I've seen Goof get shoved on his *** by a DT way to much this year.....

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Move Olivea in at guard or start Mrzucowski
    Wonder if Olivea has any value to trade, and frankly Goff I think would make a great backup.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I'd like to see either one tried at the position, and I agree with you about Goff. It is nice to have veterans who have played the game in the backup role. They can mentor some of the younger starters, and you know that they can fill in effectively if needed.

11. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Our line is not playing like they did last year, and more than even the coaching I think a whole lot of our problems can be credited to getting punked of the line.

We need to get it and knock the crap outta people, and getting clary in the mix seems to be a step in the right direction... Hardwick had a great game, combine the momentum of him being back and a young explosive "i really want to keep this job" clary in the mix and we can get our running game back where it belongs.

Shane, hasn't been cutting it, maybe because of his back, maybe because of his vag. who cares its clary's turn and so far so good. GoFF is a good veteran and if we bring in a rook at some point he will be a great resource.

AFC watch out, this team just may end up peaking all over your faces come playoffs! :yes:

GO BOLTS! :bolt:
    TIME to crap all over KC like the raiders just did...

12. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    We need Otah, or the kid from Oklahoma that is a JR as our RT: Otah may not be there when we pick........Gosder Cherilous might be as well, any one of those 3 can be a stud RT we need: we have bandaided that position long enough, move Olivea inside keep Clarey as a solid back up......but Norv we need Clary for the stretch run, not Shane and his bad back and short arms:abq2:

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I am disappointed 'Alphabet' hasn't made it into the starting lineup by now. I'm guessing he just isn't as good as we all hoped he was cos surely he should have beaten out Goff by now. Wonder why we have held onto him when he has not made the grade?... :icon_shrug:

Clary certainly looks more athletic ala McNeill. But he sures needs to add some bulk, I've seen him knocked back too easy as a result, get him to drink some real beer and eat some big pizzas and so build that gut. :tup:

14. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    stupid question: whose "alphabet"?

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Maybe Hardwick is one of those guys who's so committed to football that he didn't need to give anything up. :icon_shrug:

16. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Could be that Hardwick is a smartass.

17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Driving the Nail home, dude. He woke the line up when he got back.
    :yes:

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Damn, if I knew Clary he would be beefed up by now. I'm talkin' Ez Take Out Burger, Pizza the Hut, Hometown Buffet, Burger King, carne asada fries and burritos.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Clary's already a big enough guy

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    6-6 306 is big enough. He just needs time to develop technique and and more strength. Footwork and leverage do more than sheer size. I favor Lineman being trained in ballet. Centers the body even when moving in space. Superb conditioning and leg strength, with the flexibility to avoid pulls and strains. Some day some trainer and line coach will try this and then their guys will wreak havoc.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This is what really bothers me. We all see that Olivea is really a guard. Probably would be a really good one. But for the last couple of years they've tried making him a right tackle. Why can't they see it. And we may need to land a very good o-tackle if Clarey looks like he's not gonna be really good. Be nice to have a really , really good o-line. REally nice for the years just ahead.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Really.? :lol:

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I did post alot of reallys in there. Sorry.

Personally I hope if one is available they'll find another very good o-tackle. To be able to give rivers more time and open up more holes for ladanian would help alot.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Mruczkowski :tup:

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Looks like he has been moved 'outside' to the bench...... :lol:

Seriously though this is an amazing move. For an organisation that defines the word 'stubborn' to do this mid season is incredible. Many of us have talked about Olivea's limitations as a tackle yet AJ gave him that fat contract (no pun intended). Many have hypothesised that his best position is guard. Maybe he needs this kick in the ***.

There is no doubt Shane is a nasty type but he has gotten beaten alot by a speed rusher (often the weaker of the 2 on the other team also). I like the look of Clary in terms of height, lean-ness and wingspan. If he gets it and realises he is a few good starts from the type of contract Olivea has instead of league minimum then the only way is up. :tup:

Trumpie will be delira!.

26. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
  27. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Good move.

Olivea has had trouble at tackle for a long time now. Clary's got tackle size and he did very well against the Ratbirds.

I'd bet Shane would do a whole lot better inside.

28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Put him next to Hardwick, who will make him or break him.