1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Oliver sought advice from LT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Oliver puts to use pointers from LT

SAN DIEGO -- Looking a little sheepish, running back Branden Oliver walked up to legendary San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson after practice on Monday.

With Tomlinson at practice working for the NFL Network, Oliver made sure to take advantage of the opportunity to pick the brain of one of the greatest running backs to ever play in the league.

“We just really talked about defenses,” Oliver said. “I wanted to know more about how he analyzed defenses. He told me he just watched a lot of film to see how those guys moved around, so he can know what’s about to happen before the play even begins.

“That meant a whole lot. He’s a Hall of Famer. Just to stoop down and give me some knowledge and wisdom, I thank God for that.”

Oliver put Tomlinson’s pointers to good use against the Cowboys, finishing with a game-high 64 yards on seven carries, including a 16-yard touchdown.

“I have to give all the glory to the guys that were blocking for me, honestly,” Oliver said about his touchdown run. “I didn’t have to do much, except stay vertical. The cornerback came at the last second, so it was like 2 yards before I hit the end zone, and I kept running my feet and I got in the end zone.”

Oliver had been one of the more impressive players for the Chargers during the first two weeks of training camp. And Oliver showed that he should be in the conversation for a spot on the final 53-man roster by the way he played on Thursday against the Cowboys.

“He’s a good running back,” said Chargers tight end David Johnson. “Everybody knows, the whole O-line knows that he’ll get loose when we’re out there. We just had everyone working together, and we were sewing everybody up. As a team, we blocked good on a lot of those runs, and all he had to do was run.”

An undrafted rookie free agent out of University at Buffalo, Oliver turned down a chance to sign with Indianapolis in order to join the Chargers soon after the draft. Oliver has been impressive in practice, showing elusiveness, power and the ability to catch passes out of the backfield.

But after Thursday’s performance, Oliver understands he still has a lot more work to do.

“I just have to keep taking it one day at a time and just keep God first,” Oliver said. “I know I am in the right place. I have to keep getting better each and every day. This is just only one game, and you can’t get complacent.

“So it’s more to come, and I’ve got a group of great veterans in the running back room that I’m going to keep learning from, and (running backs) Coach Ollie Wilson. So it’s not the end of it.”

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    He's on the 53.

Love those humble guys with jesus in their hearts.

Feels more and more like this is our time.

Shock the word san diego.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +293
    Dude was on fire last night....calling him a Sprolzy clone.....funny he wears his number too. :tup:

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I don't know why people keep saying that, aside from the number he wears, and that fact that he's short.

Sproles was always a big receiving threat as well as a quick shifty runner. I've yet to see a single ball thrown to Oliver. So far, he just looks like a hard running short back, not a Sproles clone.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +293
    Good point.
    I'd like to see how he handles some screen action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I also want to see how Oliver and Inman do against a real defense, like the Seahawks.

Face it, the Cowboys D is not a true test........ they're :poop:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Oliver was fun to watch no doubt, I didn't think of Sproles when I first seen him, to much power in his running with great vision and quick reflexes. Smart kid jumping at the chance to pick Tomlinsons mind, hell he should have asked for some tutoring in field movements.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    In their defense, I also enjoy soft served chocolate ice cream too.

@Topic

That's cool that Oliver is learning from L.T. We should eventually sign him as RB coach and pick his brain even more. Have Ryan Matthews and L.T ever met? I know that L.T was his idol growing up and in Fresno State.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Oliver runs more like a Turner.

10. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,010
    Wonder if he can return kickoffs like Mike did for us - haven't heard/seen anything on that...

Lots being said about his running and the new TE/FB (who also looked great against questionable competition)... but did you notice the WRs blocking for him downfield? (Tutu)...

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    If you really want to run successfully, your WRs need to know how to block. Hines Ward was a pain in the ***, but he knew how to sustain a block.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Tackling was shiiiiity - being 1st preseason game it bugs me and would be my #1 concern but I'm sure it'll get better, it's just been a recurring theme for a few years running now... would be nice to see our boys wrapping up opponents on first touch instead of watching them slip through fingertips. That's a big thing I'll be watching for in week 2.

RE: Oliver - It's funny - aside from his size (and his number) I didn't think of Sproles either, actually thought of Tolbert for moment. Sproles was like a buck 80 soaking wet and between Donald Brown and Woodhead we have plenty of pass catching ability in our backfield - if he can also do it, sweet, if not no biggie. I loved watching this kid straight up carry the DB into the endzone, he's pretty shifty too. I'm excited to see how he does against Seattle on Friday and hope to get a chance to see him on ST (I'd never trade in the in-person experience but it's much easier to eval pre-season on TV imo)

Both Oliver and Inman have been mentioned frequently as having a great camp - I wouldn't tag either as definitely making the 53 but they're doing something right. I wonder about Vincent Brown... he could be the odd man out if he can't get healthy. Tutu has shown great value on ST as well as chemistry with PR, if it comes down to VB, Inman and Tutu to make final cuts I'd be hard pressed to hang onto VB unless he bounces back quickly.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I'd even question a healthy Brown at this point. When he was a rookie, I was impressed with how he went up and fought for the ball. Since his injury, I see a guy who's slower, less combative, and tentative. I'm just not sure how much upside he has as a player right now.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yes, the tackling was, as you delicately put it: "shiiiiity," but I don't worry about that a lot on the first
    preseason game. Tackling is pretty much a non-issue in camp prior to the first glorified scrimmage.

Sproles at "...a buck 80 soaking wet..." struck me as slightly high...so I just looked, and he's now listed at 190!

And yes, I concur with those who point out that Oliver's shape & style have little resemblance to Sproles.

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 1.05.45 PM.png