1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

On a positive note...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltz_from_Oz, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    It seems there’s far too much pessimism floating around on this forum about our chances this season, without anyone really taking a look at the rest of the schedule.

Once we get past Green Bay, with the exception of the Broncos, we play bottom of the barrel teams with losing records, most of whom are cooked for the season – Ravens, Bears, Jags, dolphins, KC x 2 and Raiders x 2.

Meanwhile…Denver still have to play the Packers, the Patriots, Bengals, and away to the Steelers (who will have Big Ben back) and the Colts (who will have Luck back). Peyton is already throwing lame duck passes and its not even winter yet, and they have no running game to lean on. The Denver defence, who has bailed them out several times this year are NOT the ’85 Bears. They can’t rely on a game defining pick 6 every week.

There is no excuse for SD to not have a record of at least 10-6. We should fall in to that by default, which should be good enough for a wild card spot in a poor AFC. Once again the Division title should come down to the Broncos games. I'd still put money on us making the playoffs purely due to strength of schedule. IMO the Division title is up for grabs as well.

• Like Like x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok. I applaud your way of looking at it. I hope you are right... I just don't feel it right now...

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    13-3.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Isnt this how Norv Turner always managed to keep his job year after year? Step 1: Get pummeled by above .500 teams throughout the season
    Step 2: Show up to the stadium against the Raiders and other guaranteed W's at the end of the calendar.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    That sure is one way of looking at it and then you remember (1) who is coaching this team (2) that Donald Brown is in the 53 (3) that the O line are the softish bunch of pussies ever and (4) a few guys on the D are stealing a living.

7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    As to point (3), have you ever seen our defensive line? My money would be on them in a "pussyfest" versus the OL. We only suck at run blocking and pass blocking. We are dead, butt naked last in stopping the run.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I would make us underdogs against BAL, KCx2 and in the game at OAK. KC can run the ball, even without Charles, which is why they own us. BAL can run the ball, is simply better than we are and is at home for that game. OAK profiles as being about even with us in terms of overall ability, which is why I have our games with them as a split.

I knew we would suck versus the run and even predicted before the season that we would be a contender for the worst run defense in the NFL when we did absolutely nothing worthwhile to provide an immediate fix to the completely obvious problem.

I also expected us not to have a great pass rush as we didn't do anything meaningful to fix that problem ether.

What I did not expect was for Telesco's big OL move (Franklin) to be a flop, for the OL not to be able to run block or pass block, and for Flowers to regress as he has.

I did expect Watt to be a flop and did not even think he should have been so automatically assumed to have been a lock to make the roster. In fact, his inclusion on the 53 man roster was probably a mistake.

We will be lucky if Rivers survives both games versus DEN without being injured as DEN has the best pass rush and best DC in the NFL.

Originally, I had us as a 9-7 team, but it now looks like we are more like a 6-10 team (which makes the trade up to get Gordon even worse because our lost 5th round pick will carry greater value).

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hey, we have a plan and we'll reevaluate the film correct the errors and become unbeatable....... next season.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I fear no amount of bottom feeding teams will be able to help San Diego unless its coaching staff and injury situation get fixed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    We are a bottom of the barrel team. Until this ****** coaching staff show that they can actually put together a successful game plan, it hard for me to pick this team to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Charles is the only thing the Chiefs have going for them. I think we are favorite in both matchups, Dolphins just have our number. If we sweep the division and tag on Jags and Bears we are looking behind Pittsburgh for the 5th wild card. A 6th seed has us at Denver, assuming Patriots and Bengals finish 1 and 2.

LOL all this goes to **** if we can't beat bad teams.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    There would be nothing more 'Chargers-like' than to go to GB and win mind you....

not that I am one bit optimistic of course

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I disagree with your take on Kansas City in particular. They are arguably the most talented team in the division. Don't let their record fool you. They have played against three undefeated teams, including two on the road. Also, they should have won two of the games that they ended up losing. They are a more talented team than we are and remain so despite the loss of Charles.

I don't see us beating Oakland twice this year either. They seem the same as us in terms of overall ability. They have a win and a loss against Cleveland and Cincinnati just like we do. They beat Baltimore. They only lost in Chicago on a last second FG and were driving in Denver territory to take the lead just over half way through the 4th quarter when they gave up a pick 6. Cincinnati is the only team that spanked them. Oakland is a much better than they have been in recent years. They aren't the "free win" that they used to be.

On the positive side, I also disagree with your take as to Miami. The last time we got them in San Diego, we beat them. They do not look good at all and have only generated 1 sack all season long. That is the one team against whom Rivers should have time to throw. And because of that, that is the one team on our schedule that we should annihilate.

15. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I fear what we saw on Monday night was evidence that McCoy has lost the locker room. The lack of effort in chasing on the interception and the deep pass TD's was deplorable. It's a sign of some players not caring anymore. Thats when the leadership in the locker room should take over, "out" those guys and hold them accountable - if not to the coaches, then at least to their own team mates. Flowers should be made an example of and dropped down in the depth squad. In fact I'd dump him to the practice squad if it means he loses his game day pay. The loafers on defense should be rotated out this week. None of us expect to win against GB anyway...so now's the perfect time to send a message and draw a line in the sand.

My point is a coaching staff with half a clue should fall in backwards to a 10-6 record. It wouldn't even be a pat on the back to do it. All our opponents are basket cases with gaping flaws bigger than ours (believe it or not) - with Denver not being that far off either courtesy of "noodle-arm" Manning.

Miami has imploded - sacking their coach and their QB having running arguments with the practice squad, who are openly mutinying against him
    Ravens have no running game this season and were lucky to win against Pittsburgh, courtesy of their FG kicker missing several getable kicks
    Bears and their pouting QB have nothing of note, which makes the Raiders losing to them even more embarrassing to the Raiders.
    Raiders are improving - but are up and down on any given play, let alone any given game.
    KC despite the talent were waning badly before Jamaal Charles got hurt.
    Jags are the Jags - nuff said

On any power ranking on any site (NFL, SI, ESPN) all those teams are ranked below us. Most by some distance too. And IMO Denver are living in a false paradise as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    since we're discussing the positives...Rivers is on pace for 5100+ yards this season

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't consider that a positive at all. It just means we're completely one dimensional.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Here, you can borrow these from Elton...

rose_colored_glasses.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Go ahead and grab your LA gear... vag's. But when the Bolts are in
    the playoffs remember this post.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I thought we had Minnesota in the bag after a close loss to Cincinnati too. Any given Sunday in this league, especially with the Chargers. I mean we scraped by Matt Stafford and Josh McCown, lost to Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater and Mike Vick. This team, at worst should be 4-1. Aside from Dalton, we should be beating the likes of Bridgewater and Vick at this time in their respective careers.

We should be 10-6 at minimum if we don't continue to have offensive line injury woes. If we can get to the bye at 5-4 we'll be in good position to win 5 of the next 7. However, 5 of the those next 7 games are divisional games.

21. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am not sure if I could disagree more with what you said.

We are losing because we are not as talented as other teams--period. It has nothing to do with the coaching.

In case you missed it, we can't run block, we can't pass block, we can't stop the run (dead butt naked last in yards per carry against), one of our starting CBs has regressed to the point of being a liability in pass defense, and we can't cover kickoffs or punts. The only truly elite player we have on the entire roster is our QB. We have a small set of above average players and players with plus potential, and two good sized sets of average and below average players. Overall, we are a below average team in terms of talent.

It will take great coaching to get this lack of talent to finish with as good of a record as 8-8. 6-10 or 7-9 seems more likely.

We will likely be 2-4 after this week and are good for two losses against Denver. Getting to those 6 losses is very likely. I agree that Denver is nothing great on offense, but they are the best in the NFL at rushing the passer and their secondary can cover receivers, which makes them a really bad matchup for us. Also, we can't run and they are good against the run anyway.

To get to the 10 wins about which you are dreaming, therefore, we will likely have to run the table against KCx2, OAKx2, CHI, MIA, @BAL and @JAC. That is 8-0 in those games. That is not a layup against any set of NFL opponents. No coaches would "fall in backwards" to that result.

As for your analysis of those opponents:

MIA--Yes, they have imploded and yes, we should beat them. In fact, this may be a blowout opportunity for us.
    @BAL--This is a road game for us. BAL just beat the team the team on the road that beat us at home. All of their losses are by 6 points or less. Two of their losses are to undefeated teams. Contrary to your assertion, BAL is currently a top 10 rushing team in terms of yards per carry. I would favor BAL at home against us.
    CHI--They played a game and half with their backup QB. Their losses are to GB, ARI and @SEA. I think a lot of teams would have lost those three games, especially when forced to use their backup QB against ARI and @SEA. They have the same record as we have and against better opponents than we have played. Because we are at home, I would make us a small favorite. The game would be a pick 'em game on a neutral field.
    OAK--They have the same record that we have and have played two undefeated teams. We are about the same as them in terms of overall ability, so I would favor each team in its home game versus the other.
    KC--They have played three undefeated teams, including two on the road. They also lost two games that they should have won. They are better than we are and are a bad matchup for us as a ball control team that can run the ball (even without Charles) and a team that can rush the passer. I would favor KC in both games against us.
    @JAC--They have lost to three division leading teams, two of which are undefeated. If we are playing their schedule, we are probably no better than 2-3 versus their 1-4. But this is an away game for us. I would probably make us a very, very small favorite in this game.

As I said, I could easily see us going 4-4 or 5-3 in those games that you think it will be a snap for us to walk through with an 8-0 record. I think the team would be doing well to finish those games 6-2, which would make us 8-8 at best.

From what I have seen on the field, I do not think this was ever going to be a playoff team. We were lucky that the Steelers were without Roethlisberger or the result against them would have been much worse and we were lucky to get the win against Cleveland without having to at least go to OT where anything could have happened. We were not close against MIN.

At this point, I think our 2-3 record accurately describes what kind of a team we are. This isn't a situation like Kansas City where a 1-4 record is totally misleading based upon schedule and fluke results. We really are a 2-3 type team.

22. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I stopped reading right here..

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Everybody's got a game plan......
    ...until they get punched in the face. :ninja:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't disagree with everything you said, but I do believe this team is more talented (on paper) than they were the last 5-6 years.

Remember when Michael Harris was starting at LT? And Tyron Greene, Patrick Crayton, and Jeromey Clary? When Richard Marshall, Reggie Walker, and Cam Thomas were key components of our defense?

I'll never forget the season Denario Alexander had,vsigned off the street and overnight becoming our #1 receiver.

I would take this roster over those any day.

25. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Yea Chain, I'm not going to go into details here especially after your long essay that I honestly havent gotten around to finishing yet, but I do disagree with you when we talk about this team and having no talent at all. We may not be really deep and injuries are definitely showing that, but we do have a talented team.

QB- Rivers
    RB - Gordon and Woodhead,
    WR/TE - KA13, Floyd, Stevie, Pee Wee, Gates.... We do lack a deep threat which could open up things more, but I would still consider those 5 legit players at that position.

OL - I would put them at avg to good minus Watt. What hurts is every game we are not just plugging in 1 or 2 players like some teams do, but 3-5 players.

I think our offense is more than good enough especially with Rivers at the helm. Playcalling and lack of creativity kills us and we usually dont show our offensive potential until we are down in a game.

How we started that game against Pitt in addition to the lack of coverage skills they have shown this season points more to poor game planning and execution. I understand balance, but I think we should have gone more pass heavy earlier on to open up the score on then and then settle in to the run game a little later on. Penalties from that Oline really killed up in down and distance.

On the Defensive side, we have players and playmakers. Everyone is down on the team, but that Monday game was clearly a game we should have won. How many pic opportunities did we have and couldnt capitalize on? At least 2 were easy pic 6's at that. Factor in we didnt play so great but only gave up 10 points in the first half. 2nd half were our offense couldnt get their **** together for reasons I care not to state again we allowed a retardedly low amount of total yards prior to the last 2 drives. On the 72 yard bomb. Vick was flushed out and pretty much running for his life and Flowers bit on the double move. No pass here, Flowers is not playing great right now. And then you have the last drive that we do the cardinal sin and give Vick a free lane to exploit down the middle.

Although the Defense lost that game for us in the end, I put that lost on the offense and not providing a bugger cushion because I feel we could have moved that ball into at least FG range more often than not vs. that team. Although our Defense is not good right now, alot of the numbers are inflated due to the amount of big plays that we give up. We will look good on a drive or couple of drives and then all of a sudden give up 1 or 2 big plays that jack the numbers. Everyone will look at the record and can pessimistically say we should probably be 0-5 right now and that we have no talent, but we really can be 4-1 right now as well. And although injuries is part of the game, I think we maybe be at least plus .500 if we didnt have them. We were also in the MINN game early until we let AP gash us for that one long run, thank you Jimmy Wilson and Eric Weddle for poor tackling and angles and then shortly after the wheels really fell off. Also isnt that the game KA fumbled the punt to put the team in a greater hole.

So in short I think our Offense can manage how it is, but to be really good, it needs to be more creative and dynamic. We have started running more spread looks which has helped Rivers and nuetralized the rush some, so we need more of thatn, but we more need to be more aggressive and become that team that tries to put up points instead of the team that wants to keep the game close and hope our Defense can fend off the opposition. So I think it is more of a mindset and coaching that are the bigger flaws than the personnel that is on the field.

** Lissemore is really dead weight

Sorry for the long post, just got tired of hearing that the Chargers are sh*t and have no talent, when we really just keep beaten ourselves.

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I thought that we where grasping at straws here

27. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    LOL... I was talking about Chain's long post and what the hell did I end up doing...

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Warning:

Replying to one's own post is seriously frowned upon and it's a risky act which may cause you lose your mancard ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    You're right. I'm ashamed.:(

30. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]