1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

On the Clock: San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

March 31, 2009 9:30 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    Team needs: Safety, inside linebacker, defensive end, right tackle

Dream scenario: San Diego is working from a position of strength. Yes, the Chargers have needs, but they won't be pigeonholed into selecting any one position. Because San Diego doesn't have a second-round pick, it could potentially trade down from the No. 16 spot down 5-7 picks (maybe to take advantage of a team trying to catch a falling star such as a quarterback) to pick up a second-round pick and still be able to find a player who could help right away. Expect the Chargers to seriously consider USC linebacker Rey Maualuga and LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson if they are on the board. If Alabama tackle Andre Smith, who is slipping down the board, tumbles all the way to No. 16, San Diego could take him and move him to right tackle, giving it a nasty offensive line.

Plan B: If there are no trade options available and Maualuga, Jackson and Smith are all off the board, the Chargers will still have plenty of options because of no pressing needs. They could look at Ohio State inside linebacker James Laurinaitis to solidify the linebacking crew. There is also some thought that the Chargers could pull the trigger on a running back, even though they have nearly $13 million in 2009 salary tied up in LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles. The team is visiting with both Knowshon Moreno of Georgia and Chris "Beanie" Wells of Ohio State prior to the draft. The Chargers are clearly looking at their post-Tomlinson life, but seeing them draft a running back would be a surprise because of the lack of an immediate need. Still, whatever San Diego does, it should be able to help itself.

Scouts Inc. take: "I believe San Diego's biggest need is strong safety, but there is no one available who'll be worth taking at No. 16. The Chargers may address that need later in the draft. Some people say they may no longer need an inside linebacker after signing Kevin Burnett from Dallas. But I think it would be hard for them to pass up Rey Maualuga if he was there. Maualuga is a great two-down player and Burnett is a very good coverage linebacker who can help on third down. I think that would be a good combination there." -- Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.

Who has final say: A.J. Smith enters his seventh draft as the Chargers' general manager.

2. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Maualuga"s pro day at USC is tomorrow and he needs a good showing to prove that his perfomance at the combine was just a bad day. Either wise he may fall to the latter part of the first round.:bolt:

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Andre Smith's tits scare me.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Andre Smith's road grading ability should scare anyone he's up against.

Seriously, add him to Forney and you've got a powerful run blocking right side.

A picture caught as he's moving shouldn't be the end all determination that he's not worthy to be a Charger.

Draft Board for me is
    1. Andre Smith
    2. Rey Malauga
    3. Michael Oher
    4. Tyson Jackson

5. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    is that real?

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

Maualuga's pro day will be better, however if you want him (which I do) you hope that his pro day is maybe a little better not much or else he wont be there at #16

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Tell me this is a photoshop job!!!!!!!!.

WOW.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Nope.

The dude is plummeting in the rankings because he's a fat a.ss lazy fu.ck.

Pretty simple. Avoid at all costs. He'll be someone else's problem by game 1.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    can we stop talking about Rey Rey when he runs a 4.85 and comes up lame... :lol:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    then it'll be Andre Smith mania :lol:

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

damn, now I know why I was blasted for taking him so high in the Bolt talk Mock draft :lol:

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of the choices given in that article, I'd have to pick Rey. He could be a great rotational ILB with Burnett or another LB with good coverage skills.

Just seems to me that a 1st rounder should be a 3-down guy, but the game is changing in that aspect. Look at the 2-3 back rotations in the league. Look at how the Giants rotate pass rushing DEs in & out.

Depth is where it's at. That should come in later rounds. I want my 1st rounder to at least be able to be an impact player for all 3 downs.

If we don't move down & Rey is there at 16, I couldn't pass him up.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    HELL NO to Andre "pass the twinkies and soda" Smith

I don't wanna see ANYONE on the team built like me, because I know how much I work out...