1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

On the Eve - B&G's Three Things

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 15, 2009.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Well, another Preseason is upon us. We've had quite a ride this offseason; Sproles has been franchised, the injury train (Gates/Merriman/LT) has finally pulled into the station and let the passengers off, and the Defense is all Ron Rivera's. Needless to say, expectations are high.

Despite the sinkhole at Charger park, us fans have gotten a pretty good read on the happenings and battles of our favorite team in the dog days of camp. Whether it has been Twitter, 1090/1360, or internet forums like our beloved BoltTalk, the word we've all been dying to read has filtered out to us. Of course, this has led to much excitement about the team, and the hype machine is rolling along like a Sherman Tank.

Tonight, we get to see that Tank get some mud on those treads. The Seattle Seahawks are coming to town, bringing their own expectations, and their own strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps they aren't the Superbowl Favorites (tm) that the Chargers have been made out to be, but the fact remains that our boys run up against another real NFL team after months of banging heads against nothing more than each other and the chalkboard.

That means, folks, we get our first good read on how these guys shape up against real competition, at pretty damn near full speed. The question in my mind thus becomes: Knowing what I know about the Chargers this offseason, through OCS and camp... what would I like (and not like) to see out of them tonight?

1. Mistake-free play from the quarterbacks.

In camp, the QBs have had an up-and-down level of performance. Some practices they've looked pretty sharp, and others feature an interception fest, which makes me quite nervous. Pundits and fans have attributed this to Rivera's defensive schemes meshing well with the great athletes we have on defense.

The homer in me would love to agree, but I'd really like that to be borne out tonight.

I'm not expecting huge production from the QBs. All I want to see is them making good decisions, throwing crisp and decisive passes, and definitely NOT turning the ball over. If it IS in fact our defense that has turned it up a notch, then PR and the boys should find that competition has dropped off a bit against the Seahawks.

On the flip side of that, I would like to see our Pass Defense really step up and force some knckdowns/interceptions. We've got a deep secondary here, with multiple position battles going on in the defensive backfield. That means that pass D shouldn't drop off too much when the 2's and 3's go in.

2. A Vintage LT Jump Cut.

LT says he's at 100 percent; heck, he's said he's in some of the best shape of his life. If that turf toe is truly healed, I'd like to see him make the move that has become LT's signature over his career - that lightning fast, two yard lateral jump cut that leaves defensive players sitting on their butts.

People say they've seen it in camp, and it's encouraging. But I would like to see it at full speed against guys with a different jersey on. If I see one of those tonight, that's when I get REALLY excited about this season; because that jump cut is what turns LT from the pretty good RB he was last year, back into perhaps the greatest RB of all time.

As of this moment, Norv hasn't let on whether or not LT will play tonight, but I suspect he will.

3. Gartrell Johnson move the pile.

We missed Mike Turner and Lorenzo Neal last year. We were left with really no way to gain the very difficult short yards in those crucial situations that mean so much in this game of inches.

AJ drafted Gartrell to remedy that situation. I would like to see Gartrell get in there late in the game and move some piles. I would also like to see how his energy level is as the game wears on and the hits accumulate, and for that reason I hope the coaching staff keeps him in there for a good long while.

---

Well, there you have it - my Three Things for this first preseason game of the 2009/2010 season. If I see: Consistent, mistake-free QB play; LT be LT; and Gartrell get three yards and a cloud of dust; I'll be pretty happy. (Of course, I'd like to see that continued as long as possible, but I'm not trying to be greedy here.)

Either way, thank Providence it's football season. Personally, it's good to be back watching, analyzing, and writing about football here on BoltTalk once more.

What about you? What would you like to see tonight and moving forward?

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Great write up B&G,

My three things,

1. No injuries

2. I would like to see the offense come out and march down the field and score. Twice. It seemed like last year (and could be way off base) we were always slow out of the box. Put the screws to the opposition quick, Ala Air Coryell.

3. This should be #1, I want to SO see (well, read) about the defense laying waste in the first two series.

:bolt:

GO BOLTS!

:bolt:

3. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well

the offense sucks

how bout the D

:icon_party:

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and so far

the D sucks as well

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dropped pass

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I look at the first string lines. It all starts with the basics.

Can the lines physically handle the other team?

Last two preseasons they did not and then they struggled in the regular season. (And I remember taking some heat in the preseason for mentioning it.)

So far the starting Oline has turned in a workmanlike performance. Not great but had some good moments.

The Dline sort of got pwned. But I think we were missing Big J and some of the other front 7.

Three more games to sort things out.