1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

One area needs improvement...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now before some of you get bent out of shape... it's been a great 9 weeks and we are starting to look like the team we're suppose to be but if we want a Lombardi... we need to slam he door when we get the opportunity and stop keeping the opposing team in the game.

Eagles, Browns, and Cowboys... we got a big lead and should have put those teams out of their misery in the fourth quarter. Instead, we let them back in the game and at some times almost blew it.

Gates doesn't drop many passes but the one yesterday that became an interception cost us the opportunity to slam the door on the game.

Then on the Bengals last drive... same prevent defense. We were giving up 7-12 yards on each play. One HUGE problem... we were only ahead by 3 points.

Rivera... please stop with the prevent defense towards the end of the fourth quarter. Especially with a 3 point lead... that doesn't make a bit of sense!!

We all enjoyed yesterday's win... it was a great one!!!
    Now the playoffs are approaching... Super Bowl or Bust!!! :bolt:

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I don't disagree with you. All those 3rd and longs need to be stopped. However, I am starting to wonder if we have the personnel to go get the QB this year... Is Rivera doing the best he can with the players he has? Maybe... I think we need Shawn to flip a switch and get some results for us to top the competition in the playoffs...

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I agree. The defense is killing me. Bengals have a top 10 defense. Their offense is the problem. So while our offense was putting points on them much possessions our defense were letting them convert. I blame our ILBs and our OLBs. I rarely seen any ILBs cover like they should.

The bubble annoys me as well. Push them up to 5 yards, get a hand on them at least. They should ALWAYS be touching them.

As for an area that needs improvement the refs. Seriously ignored holding calls for days, face mask penalties, PI, at least call holding past 10 yards. That punch in front of the refs pissed me off. Nothing for that.

In the Raven's game as well. I swear the refs hate calling PI or any penalty when stopping the Chargers. They know if they call it we would score too many points.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I know the defense is not that great but I can't really blame them since they're down 3 interior linemen and are playing with a bunch of castoffs

I think we'll se a bend don't break defense and the offense will have to win the games

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I does seem that we don't have a player that can consistently get to the QB.

I remember back in the day we had a guy, what was his name?

merryman, mummyman? mommyman?

:icon_huh:

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Oh don't worry, he just needs to do five thousand more squats before his knee is better... **** the docs and their advice... just lift more weights! :unsure:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Merriman looked to be hobbling pretty bad on that foot yesterday. I'm not giving him a free pass on some of his past exploits, but if he's hurt, he's hurt. He can't just flip a switch on that.

Cooper is a liability at ILB - he takes poor angles, gets to plays late, tries to arm tackle far too often, can't shed blocks very well, has poor ball skills, & then struts around like a peacock when someone else makes a play. Playing Dobbins & Siler together would stiffen up this D quite a bit.

Re-watch yesterday's game & tell me what Cooper contributed, aside from the things I listed above.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He made Cro's pathetic play actually seem not too bad! :lol:

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Remember, we were also up 24-13 against the Bengals, and let them score 11 points in the 4th quarter.

10. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I think there are a few reasons we dont put teams away when we have them down. 1. NFL teams just dont give up they fight to the end- and most of these games have been against very good teams(maybe not the browns- but theyve proved since then that they are not that bad)- its hard to blow out any nfl team. 2. Maybe norv just doesnt have that killer instinct when it comes to putting teams away and not letting up and 3. Honestly i dont think our def is that good- esp against the pass esp with all the injuries weve and its mainly due to the lack of pass rush and poor tackling. But, the important thing is that we are continuing to find ways to win and pull games out. Hopefully we will get healthy and get better as the playoffs start. And u my as well get used to the close games because all the teams in the playoffs are good.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    maybe Palmer was throwing away from him. Ultimate respect

:lol:

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm thinking the semi-prevent defense they're playing has something to do with it but it's a winning scheme so I'm not going to complain. We're a wall in the red zone for the most part so bend, and bend a lot, but don't break.

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Harrumph, harrumph!

14. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

NORV NORV NORV

If our coach wasn't testosterone defficient he would tell River to stop ****in callin prevent!!

15. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think we're talking about prevent, more like simple "cover" schemes. It's pretty predictable and even a mediocre quarterback can rip into it effectively. Still, it kills the clock and the potential for turnovers is higher when in such a scheme. The only problem I see is it literally forces a defense to show weaknesses, like poor tackling or a lack of physicality in the corner backs.

If that doesn't translate to goal-line play then I'm almost a fan of it. However, it usually means we give up a few field goals and with a team like Cincy, Indy or New England that is all it takes for them to beat us these days. We bend but don't break and we certainly haven't been breaking.

Letting the opponent have a figgy is not a win but it is a sign of a conservative coach on damage control (do no harm) and with the flaws of this team, I'd even say that is exactly how we have to use our boys. Jes' sayin...

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :lol:

Yeah, OK ..... Had your Geritol this morning? :icon_tease:

[​IMG]

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It's pretty simple to me, we're over correcting to stop the run. We've struggled all year to even get in the way of good runners, and now we're forcing our corners to go man up on every play so we can stack the box.

I thought we did an excellent job containing Cedric Benson, the one guy that really worried me. And lets not forget there were a couple inexplicably dropped INT's, one by Jammer, one by Ellison, both allowed the Bengals to continue drives and put points on the board.

18. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    EXACTLY. So maybe it's not Coverage and just weak man-to-man. I don't know - Cro and Jammer definitely play off the receivers more than get in their faces when we're up. But 100% it's because we're over-correcting to contain the run.