1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

One Free Agent that can make us the best team in the NFL without question

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 6, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Just managed to do some research and found a player that will enter free agency that could make this team the best, better then the patriots.

Its obvious that we need an upgrade at Safety - alot of us think Weddle can lock down one position but Mcree and Hart aren't cutting it period. So we should get

Bob Sanders

I imagine someone's calling me a moron but here's an interesting fact;
    the Colts have a lot of players coming up for free agency including Sanders, TE Dallas Clark, their two starting guards. This is a team that has most of its money locked up in four players; Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Dwight Freeney and has rarely kept their FA players, especially on defense (Thorton, Peterson, Doss, David, Harper, etc.)

We haven't had a major play maker at safety since Harrison left us. Put Sanders next to Weddle and we would have a pair of safeties that could cover, tackle, hit and intercept anything.

I just don't know financially how we'd do this.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Same way that every team does it. Sign them to a long term contract, and put all of the money in years 5,6, and 7. Then make them redo their contract before year 5, or cut them.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno either, but I tell you what I believe - this would be the greatest event for this team since we locked up LT long-term.

Imagine this - a backfield of Cro, Jammer, Weddle, & Sanders. The missing link. Even Norv couldn't miss with this piece de resistance (sp?).

Get him. If he's available, AJ, get him. Then I may bow.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I would like to have my old Mistral back, too, but I don't think the dude wants to give it up. I would also like to be able to forget my X's, but I don't see that happening either. We have to live with the draft, the way I have to live with my memories.

5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We need someone back there. McCree is decent but plays up and down. Hart is a backup. Sanders would improve us overall.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

You don't think that we're in a position/attitude to deal for someone like Sanders? :icon_shrug:

IDK - haven't done the research - too friggin' lazy, I guess - but don't we have room to go after a Sanders?? :icon_huh:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So I'll bite. Who do you see coming out of college or free agency that we should pursue?

I may not like your personna much, leisure, but I do respect your opinion re: college talent. :unsure:

So who is our stud safety-to-be? Besides Jammer :lol:

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :lol: I have a tendency to agree here.

True, he is hurt a lot but when he is healthy, he is a stud and is a difference maker.......even if he is only 5'8"

Id actually like it if we signed him but just dont see it happening. I think Indy will try to keep him.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He is injured a fair amount but you can't change the fact he's a gamechanger and one of the best safeties in the league. We need another safety, we've got ONE draft pick in four rounds and free agency would be the best procedure to fixing the safety issue. Not to mention we've tried the bargain bin with safeties, it hasn't worked, so lets try the opposite approach and grab one of hte best out there.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Ant... I'm so excited about this pipedream... I wanna hump your leg like a two-dicked dog in heat!!! :lol:

11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I don't know how feasible this is, but if it happened we would have a top 5 secondary, when was the last time we could say that?

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Bob Sanders is the colts best defensive player, there is exactly 0% chance he ever makes it to FA

13. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    a more realistic option could be Gibril Wilson from the giants

14. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    how about we go
    cro and oliver @ corners
    and jammer and weddle @ safty

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    going from jammer to Oliver (and im higher on oliver than any one else here) would be such a HUGE drop off that it wouldnt matter WHO the S were

People need to stop thinking about this, JAMMER IS NOT MOVING TO SS!!

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    We probably have the room, but I don't see why Sanders would be let go. If he becomes a free agent, I'm all for it, but at the moment I can't see why they'd cut him loose.

17. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I agree that Sanders would be a top notch addition to the team, not only in his game but his bad *** swagger that makes the colts D what it is... But all in all this is wishful at best, they won't let him go.

As far as other dudes in the market, there is no way they can be worth what they will get salary wise on the market, Time for AJ to do his damn thing in the draft once again, with the smarts and coverage weddle brings to the table we need to get a big big hitter outta the college ranks...

I did a little research and this kid from Notre Dame Tom Zbikowski had a great career w/ ND and just had a pro boxing match, anyone else know of any good safety's coming outta college???

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Again I don't know how much 'wishful thinking' it truly is. We have a few positives

1. We are a winning program, he'll want that
    2. We have never really gone after BIG NAME guys outside of Chambers and McCardell and we don't have to pay many draft picks. While we are closer to the cap this year, we still have room to maneuver.
    3. The Colts are right up at the cap limit
    4. The Colts have three key offensive players whose contracts expire - their two starting guards (Scott and Lilja) as well as Dallas Clark who has become a major target to Peyton Manning
    5. The Colts have HISTORICALLY dropped past key defensive players. Examples include Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Mike Doss, Nick Harper, Jason David. Only exception is Dwight Freeney who was way too valuable to give up.
    6. There's no way the Colts can sign BOTH Clark and Sanders, and when offensive and defensive players coming up on contracts, the Colts have traditionally resigned offensive players over defensive.
    7. We have an open spot for a playmaker way back there that we haven't had in years.

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    IF he's there scoop him up. I would think the Colts would look at what's available in the draft and then decide who they sign and who they let go. I keep the one I can't replace with a real talent in the draft.

20. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Great points! I was wishful for a wideout like chambers and it happened so it could, and having Sanders would be DOPE:bolt:

I'm all for it, don't get me wrong I'd throw a couple bucks his way to get him here, lol, the only thing that really concerns me is that the colts know what a crucial part of the D they have he is I could see them letting go of players on offense before they let him slip away.

P.Manning can compensate for losses on the O, i.e. no more stokely,
    Where as sanders has that role on the D. He Carries and inspires that squad.

The other part is that if freed up I don't know that the bolts would put up the ends that some other squads out there would be willing to.

Would shooting them over picks/players be a possibility to try and get him be a possibility?

21. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    one midget in the secondary is ok. two is not ok.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What is the punchline? :icon_shrug: :lol:

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Can't dispute anything you say here. I do like Sanders...but the frequent injuries kinda scare me.

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This is a good point. I think you have to expect Sanders and Weddle to get hurt a little more often than most with their diminutive stature. The wee tikes will take a pounding.

Sanders doesn't play small that is for sure. He is the defensive Maurice Jones Drew with the power, speed, and explosiveness making up for his size. He is also such an emotional leader. Even if he is only playing 10 games a season I think we need a guy that has that much confidence and swagger in the secondary. If he is healthy for the playoffs that is all I would care about.

One must dream from time to time.

25. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I don't disagree that Bob Sanders is an impact player, however, I don't think he can singlehandedly make us the best team in the NFL. The Chargers haven't hit their ceiling yet as far as potential. They've shown flashes. Consistency through continuity in personnel, whether on the field or coaching is the key to making this team top notch.

Bob Sanders would be certainly be an upgrade and our potential would be greater with him on board.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    How would Indy have the money to sign this guy when they're already paying Dwight Freeney and Peyton Manning a kings ransom?

I'd say we have a shot at Bob Sanders, but in 3yrs we might end up paying for it by not being able to re-sign another important cornerstone on our team like Marcus McNeil, Antonio Cromartie, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, etc....