1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

One more Anti-Norv rant (if you can stand it) The lament of years lost to a bad coach.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NW Bolt Babe, Dec 26, 2010.

1. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    I've said it all season long, Norv brings the team into the season, unprepared and not ready to roll, unlike the other premiere NFL teams. Other teams open up, ready to rock and kick butt the whole season long. Teams like the Patriots and Indianapolis. There I said the "P" word.

The Chargers have all the talent in the world and have for the last 4 years and really beyond. What has Norv done with them? Shown up every September and October ready to give up multiple games. I've read around the net that it's his strategy to end the season strong and he's been darn lucky the team has played to absolute perfection every November and December, but that is a fool's bet to depend on that. So the Chargers look the fools this year.

Every team suffers injuries and the Chargers had more than their share right up front. Luck saved them in that they continued to dig up unknown after unknown to fill the gap, thankfully so until VJ returned. However, today, Tolbert is knocked out early and though Mathews stepped up admirably, he is a different player than Tolbert and couldn't pummel through like we know Tolbert would have. Norv crapped out.

If they had just won one of those oh so close losses or if Norv kicked the heck out of Special Teams after their first disaster instead of staggering around 4 more weeks with spotty results, just one or two more wins, over teams the Chargers should have decimated, and the season is saved. That is not the case because it's Norv's core philosophy is to allow the team to jell later. Well, that is a is piss poor attitude. Winners want to win. Period. From start to finish. They don't plan to allow for losses. EVER. They show up ready and prepared, to WIN.

So the bottom line is not just this lost season, but of all the previous seasons Norv has held the position. Years they made it to the playoffs only to be lose because the team has shown up flat footed, confused and not ready to play even in the post season. It was inevitable that this moment would arrive. This humiliation.

Norv should return to Offensive coaching and leave head coaching to someone who has the big picture in mind. A coach who coaches to win from down one of game one. I've had enough of him and really the years lost to Marty as well with his "play not to lose" strategy. If the Chargers had been lacking in talent for the 2000's, then it would be understandable. But with the enormous pool of great players the Chargers have seen go through their ranks never to get to the Super Bowl, its almost been a lost decade. How can a coach get a team to the big game if he doesn't believe EVERY game counts? With that kind of attitude, it's no wonder they haven't gotten there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Nice post I agree with you, except I liked Marty power running football, play action offense. Also his D was more fierce. Oldschool football had us at 1x #1 power rated and ranked going into the playoffs as the #1 seed hard not to love that. Also he helped us have the NFL record for pro bowlers from 1 team his last year...

How many pro bowlers do we have now that Norv is HC in his 4th sad year?

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    To quote Norv...."Its only week 3, theres still a lot of football left to play..."

Oops. Looks like Norvel will learn the hard way that every game counts, and you have to prepare for 4-12 teams in September the same as December.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    FU Norval, and FU AJ for selling us on your bullshiit

5. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks!

I agree, Marty had some good points. I just objected to the "play not to lose" section of his playbook. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to not give 100%. Just good enough, is never good enough.

6. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Yeah, big oops! Every year too!

Indeed, there is not a game on the schedule that should be treated any less important than any other.

That boiled it down! :)