1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

One more question - Who talks to PR during the game?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Nov 12, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't remember seeing anyone with a headset on last night.

and

Why doesn't PR EVER call an audible at the line?

Doesn't he have somebody screaming in his ear?

HE NEEDS THE GREEN DOT ON IS HELMET!!!!

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Rivers DOES call audibles. You just don't see it on TV.

Rhis part of a QB's game is very difficult to master, because it requires a great ability to read the defense, and confidence in yourself and players to execute the play. Rivers doesn't do it nearly as much as a guy like, say, Manning, and this is almost certainly because he is still learning this part of his game. Remember, it took until the 2005 season for Brees to get decent at calling audibles.

He not doing it terribly often, though, and there are several reasons for that:

First of all, for some reason, it's taking the Chargers a lot of time to line up for the play, so many times by the time they are set, there is no time to audible, or they won't get the play off.

Second, it just isn't that easy. We say the QB needs to "read the defense", but in reality that's a really hard thing to do, especially when the opposing D is intentionally trying to throw you off by shifting, feigning a drop when they're really going to blitz, etc. You can watch all the film you want, look at all the pictures you want, but all you get from that are tendencies, and that's all you can go on. If you notice that from a certain formation they blitz 60% of the time and drop back 40% of the time, do you change the play based on that? You'll only be right slightly more than half the time. And sometimes the opposing D will use those tendencies against you. Case in point: Last week against the Vikings, Rivers noticed a certain Minn LB had a tendency to drop back at certain times. He saw that LB again looking like he would drop back, so he audibled out of a pass play and into a run play. It turned out the Viking LB was playing him, blitzed instead and dropped the RB in the backfield. Remember that play? It was the one when Turner came in to spell LT.

In Peyton Manning's case, he's been in the league for 10 years, so he's one hell of a lot more experienced at it than Rivers. Also, at this point in his career, he's basically a co-offensive coordinator and is often times the only guy who calls the play.

So in sum, calling audibles are really hard to do, and takes time to get them right. A hurry-up no huddle offense would help Rivers and the offense immensely, because it would give him time to call his own play and get into a rhythm.

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    FFS .. If he was making more audibles at the line, you'd be on his *** even more than you are now.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Missing th point

Shouldn't somebody be talking to him?

I fugging understand he hasn't been in the league for ten years

All the more reason somebody should be helping him!!

Every time I see him come to the line he might as well tell the defense what he's gonna do because I CAN SEE IT FROM 2500 MILES AWAY!!!!

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

thanks for the reply

very helpful

I understand completely

6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Of course they are talking to him through the headset. The way it works is Turner decides which play to call, tells Charlie Whitehurst, who relays it to Rivers via headset. Turner doesn't like to be the guy who talks to the QB, instead he has one of the other QBs do it, that's why you don't see him wearing the headset.

7. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Norv had a headset on at some point last night.

8. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    You seriously can't tell by the TV that he is making audibles? He does but obviously not nearly as much as Peyton as previously mentioned. It makes me wonder what you are looking at because it is pretty damn obvious.

9. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I want to know where the communication break down is with the challenges. Those were two of the worst challenges I have ever seen. Especially the first one when there was ample time for our guys to review as the Refs had to get together to discuss the inadvertant whistle.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Well we did hire Norv for continuity.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Norv had his headset on teh whole game that i saw...and Rivers does have a green dot. I dont think ive seen a QB NOT have one.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

So THAT'S what AJ meant! Thanks for solving that puzzle, Powder!!

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Upon futher review,

I see Norv with a headset

my bad.

Those late games are past my bedtime!! :lol:

PS. Hey Red, If your trying to call me out for a pissing contest, forget it. Gramp doesn't role that way

:icon_tease:

14. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112

I don't do pissing contests .. :no:

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup:

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

If I had to guess Norv was influenced by the fans at the game, both times he challenged the fans were calling for it. Although he should know better than to listen to the fans.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is supposed to be Norval's strength. I sound like a broken record. Rhythm is practise, practise, practise. Practise requires discipline. Norval is a great tactitian. He can scheme with the best, but he can't seem to master the force of will to instill the discipline to make it work. He's and idea guy. Ask him to design a plumbing system. The toilets will flush with a pint of water. Just don't give him a wrench.