1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

One unsigned RFA is at OCS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Kevin Acee
    Thursday, May 20

As are the Chargers' Big Four restricted free agents, Travis Johnson was schedule to be unrestricted this offseason but was instead caught in the NFL's labor morasse.
    And like the Big Four, Johnson has yet to sign his RFA tender.
    Yet, unlike the Big Four, Johnson is at Chargers Park today.
    "Why wouldn't I be?" the affable defensive lineman said incredulously. "We all want to get paid and provide for our families. But it's not all about the money."
    Johnson knows perfectly well why he wouldn't be here, but his point is that it's best for him to be on the field with the Chargers.
    Johnson, who was given an original-round tender and will be due $1.226 million when he signs a contract and if he makes the team, has been at every conditioning session over the past month and at all three coaching sessions this week.
    Where Johnson differs from the four other restricted free agents (Malcom Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill and Shawne Merriman) who have not signed their tenders is not just in the approximately $2 million less than them he is scheduled to make in 2010 but in his position with the team.
    The four that are absent have been with the Chargers at least four seasons, are established starters and will remain so even if they don't show up until the middle of training camp (they will all almost certainly be in camp on time).
    Johnson arrived in San Diego late last August via trade from Houston and then played through a groin injury that only began to feel decent in mid-December. The Chargers brought him back because he played well at the end of the season and the price was right.
    "That's one of the reasons I'm here," Johnson said. "The Chargers did right by me, bringing me back even though I played hurt last year."
    Johnson, a first-round pick in 2005 who was floundering with the Texans for various reasons, knows too that he is facing a big year in terms of determining his future. He has to do everything he can to make sure he's ready, playing well and playing a lot.
    "They've been here," Johnson said of the Big Four. "They know the system. I feel like I'm still learning every day."
    As for the tender, not signing it is not a big deal.
    Johnson signed a waiver that would guarantee his salary if he is injured in a team activity. The only reason to not sign the tender now is the slim (microscopic) hope that a new collective bargaining agreement is reached inside of the next month.
    "I'll sign it later," Johnson said. "It's not like there's pressure. But God forbid something gets done with the CBA."

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With everything that TJ has gone through with his daughter, I find this attitude to be especially impressive.

Good luck this year, Travis!! :bolt:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I really like this kid and won't be surprised if he becomes a dominant player for the Bolt's. Good things happen to good people and he is deserving of great blessings.

4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    This guy was simply dominant his senior year at FSU (contract year), he will do well again and greatly improve our run defense. He has all the motivation in the world, and I think his talent will show through in 2010.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have high hopes for this guy. just hope he can stay healthy since that has been his biggest issue

6. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I will be very happy if he can become a solid DT/DE for the Bolts. If he becomes a dominate player he will exceed all of my expectations.

7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If he has fully recovered from his groin injury I see nothing but upside for him. Dude played in pain last year both physically and mentally with his daughters illness. I wish nothing but the best for him and he ain't no scrub.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's shown a great deal of improvement on his attitude and his focus, maybe he really did need a change of scenery. And yeah especially considering his daughter his attitude is even more impressive. Kudos to him

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree and I really like the guy. I just hope he can stay on the field for 16 games. The more of him, and the less of scrubs like Boone, Scott, and Garay, the better

• Like Like x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If he can play mean and nasty everything else will take care of it's self. Castillo is a big teddy bear, OG and Martin still have a ways to go. This club needs some fire on defense, the kind that will blacken your eye and split your lip. If TJ can ignite that fuse and get things going who knows what will happen.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That is great to hear, especially after all he's been through. I hope he can stay healthy and make an impact. If he can't, to hell with attitude. But I guess I really should stay positive - that man has the best attitude and motivation.