1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Only ONE complaint about tonight's win.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That that was the last Titans drive in the first half. If it wasn't for those three turnovers... I'd be calling for Rivera's head!!!

Though I still say... "STOP WITH THE PREVENT CRAP NOW!!!" I don't want to see that again!!!

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Only you would find a complaint in a 42-17 win. :lol:

(if it makes you feel any better, I was complaining about that same drive in the gameday thread)

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    some folk would complain if they were hung with a new rope:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

We've seen it too much this season, but only in the last few drives of the fourth quarter. Including last week with only a 3 point lead.

Is there anybody in here who would like to see that continue?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if i'm going to make some complaints about the game, my big one was Marcus McNeil's bad game. Two sacks, beaten a few more times, two penalties (including one that negated a long bomb to Floyd).

But that's about the length and breadth of my complaints, and even then I give a mulligan to McNeil since he's been so good this year

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Right after that TD, Norv & Ron were talking quite a bit. My guess is Norv must have made some comment to Rivera. Not an arguement or anything.

That soft coverage bugs me too.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Not that this is really an argument in his favor (dumb penalty or blown blocking assignment...) had he not held Rivers would have been sacked and that pass wouldn't have happened.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Norv has undergone a serious personality overhaul. He's kicking *** right now on the sideline.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Maybe this will help...

Would anybody here like to see the prevent crap of giving up 10-15 yards each play continue?

yes or no?

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Good to see somebody gets it!!! :tup:

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Prevent defense has always been one of the biggest mysteries to me as an NFL fan.

Pretty much every team employs it in late game situations (or late half) when they have a two score lead, yet it always proves to be ineffective.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

If Titans had the ball in the end of second half and we did that (considering we have a 42-17 lead)... that makes plenty of sense.

Last week... doing that with a 3 point lead was stupid!!!

This week... doing that at the end of first half with a 21-3 lead was stupid!!!
    especialy considering the Titans get the ball first in the second half... that's giving them an opportunity to get right back into the game!!!

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm not sure we were playing prevent, we were bringing blitzes and had the corners playing soft. As usuall or rushers didn't beat their men and our corners were exposed.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm ok with "prevent" or cover-down, or man-off or whatever you call it as long as the other team stays out of the end zone. It kills the clock, gives the other team false confidence that gets snatched away from them once the prevent is replaced, keeps players safe, avoids penalties, and leads to "close" games that are actually one-sided.

There's always the chance that the other team will fully exploit the weaknesses you intentionally show when in such a mode. But if you stand firm in the red zone, prevent all you want. I'm ok with figgies in games like this. Though if this was New England, I'd be less enthusiastic.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I won't disagree with any of this. Especially doing it with a 3 point lead.

16. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I guess I'll be the vote of differing opinion.

First of all, I agree that I hate watching that crap. And it does get very frustrating, to see that happen.

But...(you knew there would be one)

If you're trying to prevent the big play...the best way to stop it is to drop more people into coverage.

As Millen pointed out, correctly, we don't pressure well unless we're bringing alot of people...(corners, safeties, etc...) This is more due to injuries than anything...but whatever, it's the situation we are in.

Ron has done a real nice job overall...BTW, the two ints happened when we were rushing only 4.

People only complain about dropping into loose coverage when it doesn't work, but if we get a pick, from a greedy qb(like Cutler), or a tipped pass gets picked...no one ever says "Thank God for dropping 7 or 8 into coverage".

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    seems to me, that what Ron has been calling is working... doesn't make it comfortable to watch but I've been impressed with how the defense has limited the "big play" opportunities and forced teams to score in 3's vs. 7's...

bottomline is the defense is getting the ball back into philip's hands more quickly and more often which is all that really matters to me - even if it means watching them in a prevent or soft zone scheme.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It didn't work at all at the end of the half, which was the complaint.

That being said, it worked like a charm if you view the game as a whole. :icon_toast: :abq2:

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You lost me.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    which is exactly how i view it :tup:

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    My only complaint was not allowing Volek to throw a single pass. Come on Norv, it's time to unleash Air Volek!

22. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I agree, I wanna see Volek actually run the offense instead of just handing it off to Tolbert and Hester.

Don't get me wrong, watching Tolbert run people over for first downs is great and all, I just want to see Volek get a couple of passing touchdowns in the stat book for the season. Hopefully we get to see that next week.

23. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Agreed, and while not wishing to tempt fate, but god forbid if Rivers got an injury in the playoffs, Volek would come in without having had much game time this season. He needs to get some passes in next week against the Skins.
    Having said that he stepped up against The Colts a few years back in the Conf semi.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    First of all it isn't a prevent, we we're rushing 4-5 guy's and it worked perfect. It ate up the time on the clock and we didn't get any of those last minute injuries. Very smart call especially with a three score lead.

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    My only complaint is that I had to listen to Matt Millan call the game

:tdown:

26. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    All i wanna know is how does hester play at all over tolbert!!! i mena hester is a 3rd pick- and he actually is a 6th or 7th rd pick on talent and effectiveness. I mean he finally gets chance to run ball with big lead and he fumbles! tolbert LT and sproles should only play in playoffs unless an injury occurs. Hester to in to block occassionally.

27. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Srsly...

Tolbert > Hester

And has been for some time now.

Hester = solid special teamer. Keep him there an pay him accordingly.

Tolbert = Sweet hands, short yardage battering ram.

28. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I agree that the coverage at the end of the half was soft and characteristic of how we have been finishing games the past few weeks, but I think it relates to something GOOD about last night's game.

Notice how Rivera's schemes in the third quarter were NOT of the prevent type, and we dominated the Titans on this side of the ball for the rest of the game.

I think Rivera is learning that this team plays better in man coverage with zone blitz packages, and if he is finally starting to learn this, I am very, very happy.

Other than that, yeah, McNeill did not have his best game, but it was far from a terrible game, IMO. Just a couple of stupid false starts and that sack allowed, but Leo was right in saying that the hold actually helped us maintain that drive.

29. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I do see a point to playing soft when up by more than 2 scores in the last half of the second quarter. Playing aggressive could lead to letting the explosive Johnson get a big break downfield, and scoring early enough to risk another drive. Playing soft though makes them take small chunks down the field, chewing a ton of clock in the progress, while basically eliminating ANY chance of the big play. Pretty much it ensures the most they'll get before halftime is 8, while virtually eliminating the chance of a big play or two allowing them to get 10 or 14.

Certainly not as exciting to watch, but I do understand the strategy.

30. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    some pep allways see the glass half empty:icon_shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.