1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Only one stat important to Chargers’ D

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 16, 2009
    The Eagles gained 462 yards Sunday afternoon in a losing effort, and the latter was all that was important to Chargers defenders.

Headline:
    Byline: Casey Pearce
    Lead:
    Body: The number in the box score jumps off the page: 450, as in number of yards Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb threw for Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium.
    But when Chargers linebacker Stephen Cooper[​IMG] looks at the stat sheet, he never gets to the second page where individual numbers are displayed. The only thing important to him and his fellow defenders is what’s on the cover sheet of the stat package, the one that displays the score.
    “They got yards and stats are fine,” Cooper said. “The biggest thing is we got the win. That’s all that matters.”
    In San Diego’s 31-23 win Sunday, McNabb posted the second highest passing total of his career and led the Eagles on four scoring drives that covered 77 yards or more. The performance came as no surprise to the Chargers and actually believe it played into the outcome.
    “We let them put drives together, but the focus was to try not to let them score that 50, 60-yard touchdown,” defensive end Luis Castillo[​IMG] said. “They didn’t and we won.”
    Entering Sunday’s game, the Eagles were tied for the NFL lead with 11 pass plays of 40 yards or more. Jason Avant did have a 58-yard gain after slipping a tackle on a short pass, but Philadelphia had to settle for a field goal on that drive.
    Wide receiver DeSean Jackson has scored on six plays of 50 yards or more this season. He entered the game averaging 20 yards per reception but averaged only 11.4 on eight grabs Sunday with a long of 22. McNabb’s two touchdown passes were for five and six yards.

“We knew that as long as we kept everything in front of us we’d be fine,” cornerback Antonio Cromartie[​IMG] said. “We played well as a defense as a whole. We played as a team and got the job done.”
    The Chargers played situational defense Sunday. The Eagles converted just 38 percent of their third downs and ran for only 29 yards. On five trips to the red zone, they had to settle for three field goals which proved critical in the eight-point outcome.
    “Our offense did a great job of putting points early and letting us dictate things,” Cooper said. “We executed our plan today and came up with some big stops when we needed them. We got a win that we needed and when you play well enough to win you’re always happy.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I saw that 460 yards given up on defense, but like I always say, the ONLY thing that matters is if we score just ONE more point than our opponents every game. I'm fine with that. :yes:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm sorry and I have to disagree, I hate giving up big yards at any time. I understand what they were doing but it was also getting a bit to close for comfort. One or two stops and that is a totally different game, there would be no question marks.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Now you are playing the what if game. What if they had made this, or scored that. They didnt. The D kept them from scoring. Teams that have to abandon the run to try and win WILL always get a lot of yards passing. :yes:

Some teams can get 400 yards in less than 10 completions. The important thing in my opinion is how many times did they score a touch down?

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I would agree except the game plan was to keep everything in front of the defense. They did that and we won.

Now, had they planned around getting to the QB and got scorched for a few big plays then lost, well, then I'd be pretty frustrated.

:tup:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yup. no more what if's

:bolt:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Like those dropped INTs bro?

8. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    The important thing is that we won! BUUUTTTT...giving up all those yards makes it that much more harder, we end up losing the field position battle. It does help that we have Scifres that nets 10 more yards than the other punter. I am ecstatic that we won, but in playoff games against teams like the Steelers, this is going to hurt us :) But I am just being picky, Defense is looking a lot better and stops in the redzone are good:tup:

GO BOLTS

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Scoreboard.

Burnett and Cooper need to learn how to catch.

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Stephen Cooper holds onto that INT in the endzone, and McNabb doesn't throw a TD pass the next play.

The game winds up San Diego 28, Philly 16 then.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    And if Burnett had made the INT, they never would have been throwing into the endzone.

2 dropped INTs on 1 series...

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

:yes:

Although Burnett I can excuse, because he was hit down low by teammate Alfonso Boone as he tried for the INT. But Cooper, dude, that was a big matzo ball ripe for the picking!

EDIT: OOps. It was Siler, not Burnett.

So, yeah, Burnett should have had one too.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Burnett was hit down low by his own teammate as he was trying for the INT. That I can sort of excuse.

EDIT: OOps. It was Siler, not Burnett.

So, yeah, Burnett should have had one too.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Siler had an almsot INT too - he just got hit right before he was able to tuck the ball away... so close! but i loved that they were creating those chances for themselves... next step is to capitalize :yes:

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Conc, I never said if. We had at least three possible pick's, those are back breakers not IF's. None of those things happened and we still won, for that I am happy. I'd just rather have them beat without question and no late game heroics and come from behind victories against us. All's good in Chargerville, we came away with a W and have knotted up the division, on to Denver and busting some Donkey's. :tup:

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    but youd be ******** bricks huh lol

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    When Kaeding lined up for that FG towards the end, a nightmare "what if" ran through my head, shades of 2005.

Kaeding's kick is blocked with 30 seconds to play, the Eagles pick it up and run it back for a game-winning TD. Eagles 30, San Diego 28. :icon_eek:

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Slugo, I wasn't what ifing but I do understand what your point is. I have seen many things happen to out Bolt's. Does the Holy Roller ring any bell's. Anything can happen and if you've been a Bolt fan for long you should know it.

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I was 8 when the Holy Roller happened. My father was a Bolt fan at the time and I distinctly remember him screaming and cursing when it happened. :lol:

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    To be fair to our defenders who dropped ints - they weren't the only ones dropping McNabb passes, maybe the guy is just throwing frozen ropes out there.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The style the D played yesterday is predicated on taking advantage of the other team's mistakes and the Bolts D missed a few opportunities. If Cooper had held onto the INT in the end zone when it was 28-9, the final score would have been alot prettier. But he dropped an easy INT and the Eagles scored on the next play. If we pick off that pass, along with a couple others we could have had, our defensive strategy would have worked to perfection.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

The Eagles got infected with "Raideritis" after their game against Oakland. :lol:

Both teams had their WRs drop passes from their QBs yesterday. Lots of them. :yes:

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    My Bad. I thought it was Burnett on that play.