1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ooocheela - Jamal Williams is PISSED

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070809-9999-1s9chargers.html

Williams' backup shows more than middling talent

McKinney built for center of D-line

By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 9, 2007

It is the scenario no Chargers employee or fan wants to see, but it also is something for which they must be prepared.
    What happens if Jamal Williams can't man the middle of the Chargers' 3-4 defense?

“I hate when people say that,” said Williams, coming off consecutive All-Pro seasons at nose tackle. “We're deep.”

In fact, Williams said there's no need to “worry about anything” because his backup, Brandon McKinney, is “looking good.”

The Chargers obviously aren't in a hurry to find out how much of a dropoff there would be should McKinney have to replace Williams for any length of time. But Wayne Nunnely, the club's longtime defensive line coach, joined Williams in saying he's encouraged by McKinney's progress.

“I'd have no hesitation putting him in,” Nunnely said. “He's having a great camp so far.”

For various reasons, McKinney is unfamiliar to almost everyone outside Chargers Park. He is young, still two weeks from his 24th birthday. He wasn't drafted, having signed with the Chargers last year as a free agent out of Michigan State. And he played in just six games as a rookie after spending the first half of the season on the practice squad.

“Last year was his first year and it takes a lot of growth coming from college to NFL, just learning the game,” Williams said. “We have a great teacher in Coach Nunnely. He did a great job with the guy.”

At 6 feet 2 and about 330 pounds, McKinney is an inch shorter and some 15-20 pounds lighter than Williams. But McKinney is at least 25-30 pounds heavier than the other players the Chargers have used to back up Williams, Ryon Bingham and Jacques Cesaire. In the 3-4 defense the Chargers employ, it's imperative the nose tackle be bulky enough to hold his ground.

“He's showed me the ability to play the run really well,” Nunnely said of McKinney. “He's very strong. He's short and compact, a lot of power, a lot of strength. He's a physical player, just like Jamal in that respect. He can man the middle of the line and not get knocked off the ball. When he gets double-teamed he does a good job of being stout in the middle.”

An Ohio native, McKinney said he's always been big, first moving past 300 pounds as a junior in high school. But, he quickly added, “I played linebacker that year. That was fun.”

He started 2½ seasons as a nose tackle and defensive tackle at Michigan State, where he earned a degree in social science. Reporting to the Chargers last year, he said he knew a little about Williams but hadn't seen him play much. A few film sessions changed that, and then Nunnely told him to watch Williams on the field every day.

“There's no better example of playing that position than Jamal,” Nunnely said. “You can tell he studies and pays attention to what Jamal does.”

Said McKinney: “He really helped me out. He corrects me on the field and at this point I'm able to watch him and correct him, too. :icon_eek: We kind of go back and forth and coach each other; of course, he coaches me more.”

If McKinney ever needs tips on dealing with offensive linemen, he can check with his landlord, Chargers tackle Marcus McNeill. As rookies the two became friends, and as a second-round pick McNeill was in a position to buy a South County home.

“I said he could stay at my house and pay me rent,” McNeill said. “He's still there. I can't get him out of the house now.”

McKinney said when he was moved from the practice squad to the active roster last year, resulting in a nice pay raise, McNeill upped his rent.

“I raised the rent,” McNeill said. “He didn't pay it, though.”
    :lol:

2. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wayne Nunnely is the ****. Best d-line coach in the league and I believe our longest tenured coach which says something. :tup:

If he is propping Brandon McKinney, then I want to see more of this dude. He just went on my watch list.

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    That is one of the best things I have heard this preseason.

Another AJ FA gem. :tup:

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have been ******** baby elephants over who the hell would back up Jamal. Bingham was not floating my boat and moving him to DE does not seem to make sense to me. The guy is too slow for a DE but then so is Igor.

5. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I agree with you over Bingham. I wasn't as worried as most.

AJ didn't seem too concerned about backup NT at draft time. That told he he was digging someone we already had. Guess we know he that is now.

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

6. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    With all due respect Trumpy, if Mckinney just went on your watch list...then you have spread yourself to thin. This dude has been hitting people since he got on the 53 man roster. I for one, feel comfortable with him spelling JW.

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Can anyone remind me who was the first and only person to pimp McKinney and say that he would make the Chargers roster in SDRon's poll on the UT before '06 training camp even started :icon_shrug:

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Well theres the reason they havent ben drafting DT's and probably wont in the first round next year as everybody thinks we should. Obviously they think McKinney or somebody else can play it.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Did he take any regular season snaps last year ?

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    **** i don't see anything wrong with spelling jamal a play or two with a capable number two. that's called kick *** coaching, jamals a probowler who has nothing to worry about.

12. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Well, yes he did.

2006: Spent Weeks 1-8 on practice squad...signed to active roster Nov. 11 and saw reserve action Weeks 9-12, 15-16 and in AFC Divisional Playoff game vs. New England...inactive Weeks 13-14...saw extensive action in season finale against Arizona after Jacques Cesaire left game injured.

I was watching...:lol:

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yes. I believe it was the final game of the season, versus Arizona.

He knocked down a Leinart pass.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We get to do just that this Sunday. :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

McKinney may make Bingham expendable, leaving roster room for another one of the younger guys to make the squad. Leaves room to carry Siler, maybe. Leonard can safely be stashed on the PS. Siler should make the squad anyway, so dumping Bingham would ease the pressure on Sproles but Sproles will have to show that he can field both punts and kicks cleanly on Sunday or he will become history. We have enough DLine depther even without Bingham. If Sproles goes that leaves room for Applewhite, or the current UFDA apple of my eye, the Illustrated Man without putting them of the PS.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That explains it. That was my birthday. :abq2:

No wonder, otherwise, even though our tailgaters are known for driving a few ***** in the dirt, that one birthday game was off the hook. I think we spent more time in the bar and grub lines than anything and I normally sit and watch - sometimes in double vision but that means twice the fun. :lol:

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    He was killer in Chicago.

17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347

Kuch was killer in Chicago.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not seem to read or find a lot of Nunnleys takes. The dude is generally quiet or maybe I just miss his articles when they hit the fish wraps.

If Bingham goes, I lose no sleep but what gets me excited is that Jamal and Nunnley believe in someone for a change at the back up NT spot.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Amen brother. Everyone else is a fraud, he is the only one who tells the truth. Did you hear Hillary "I'm your girl! I'm your girl!" she hasn't done squat she just yells out stupid catchphrases and dodges the issues and her voting record is piss poor. Did you hear her at the AFL-CIO she said "you shouldn't always say everything you think if you're running for president". What a nutcase. Her stances aren't even democratic she is right wing and she posed for "fortune" magazine. She is total propaganda. Did you see Obama say that he would call the "president" of Canada and that he would invade Pakistan without permission? He is war hungry and he also dodges the issues AND his voting record is poor as well - the dude voted for the patriot act!! What the hell is this guy thinking. Edwards is just so fake as well, what a joke. Denny's campaign has been getting huge support the past 2 weeks. Don't believe the polls they are BS. Don't believe the "unelectable" slogan, that is pure neo-con propaganda. We will get this guy into the white house. I have never seen such a huge international response to a campaign... if the people of the world could vote in a candidate it would be Kuch. He is the voice of truth. End of story.

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Hanestly last year I said Jamal would take McKinney under his wing. McKinney has all the tools Jamal has to work with, he just needed good coaching and motivation to bring them out. He is unfolding as a player. This guy is our NT of the future if he develops a killer instinct.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You used the word Hanestly!

Rep me beotch!

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I remember you pimping him but really did not take much notice. This is the best news I have heard since Jamal got cheap shotted. :tup:

23. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Shaddup gimp :icon_twisted:

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    It is. The dude just needs guidance. I guarantee you if he were in another system he would be dogchit... if he were playing for the Detroit Lions he would be out of the NFL within a year. Here there's so much talent around him and everyone is motivated... it rubs off on you. This guy was unnoticed at Michigan St. but he holds his own in the run game and showed flashes of dominance... he just needs help to bring that out but he's getting it here. I think AJ brought him in because of a combination of his physical skills but more importantly his attitude. Most of these nose guards are fat lazy baztards that want to leave the NFL after their first paycheck and open a fried chicken restaurant with it... McKinney's attitude has always been good he is silent but a consistent worker. It's rare to find a fat boy that "wants it".

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Didn't you also want us to burn a draft pick on the Okie dropout gansta who was a pre-draft phemom since he could do a back flip with his 370 lbs of goo? :icon_shrug:

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Interesting take.

FWIW, nicklebolt is out of control in the Asylum :icon_eek:

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rectallicker says what?

28. sdchrger