1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Open the flood gates - Raging Waters is coming...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Jul 21, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 21, 2008

Not a rookie and not a veteran but something in between, Anthony Waters finally will be set loose this week.
    Rookies, quarterbacks and players coming off injury will practice for the first time this morning at Chargers Park in advance of the official start of training camp on Friday.

Waters won't be practicing today, because there was nothing medically wrong with him at the end of last season, and he technically has a year of experience in the NFL.

But with Waters having never played a game and not having been entirely healthy in 2007, this training camp will be the first time he can really begin to prove himself.

Waters will be one of the most intriguing figures in this Chargers training camp because of that idleness, because his role could be enhanced early by the four-game suspension fellow linebacker Stephen Cooper will serve in September, and because he just might be scary good.

“I am so ready,” Waters said recently. “It was hard watching last year and wanting to be a part of it. It's very frustrating. You want to be out there, but you know you're not 100 percent. I did everything except play.”

A torn anterior cruciate ligament in the first game of his senior season at Clemson dried up expectations of being a first-round pick, but Waters worked hard to ready himself for a pro day workout. The Chargers took a chance on him in the 2007 draft's third round, and Waters expected to be healthy enough to see game action last season. The Chargers, too, held out hope for a while, though Waters was always considered a project.

Ultimately, his knee and the team's depth at inside linebacker kept him inactive all season. He practiced daily, went to every meeting and studied film but never dressed for a game.

There is a difference between being able to get through a practice and being able to play at NFL speed and NFL strength on Sundays.
    “I didn't have any limitations in practice,” Waters said. “But I was still hobbling around, sore at times. My knee was having its days. I didn't get healthy until about the midpoint of the season. I did everything I had to do in practice and the weight room. I had to mentally prepare myself in practice. At one point they were talking about letting me play. I had to stay focused.

“I really, really wanted to play, but there was something inside of me telling me, 'No. Just be patient and wait.' ”

An ACL at less than full strength limits a player's starting and stopping ability.

“Certain plays, I knew I could have made a play, but trying to get my knee going, it just wouldn't,” Waters said. “I wanted to do it, but my knee wouldn't let me get that turnover, that speed I needed.”

During workouts in the spring, Waters showed how much progress he has made – mentally and physically.

“He's starting to show what we thought he would,” inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera said last week. “He's a big body (6-3, 238) that can run. That's one of the things he impressed us with in minicamp. He ran really well.”

Said coach Norv Turner: “I see him as fully recovered. He's got a lot better understanding of what we're asking him to do. I'm excited to see him playing in preseason games. I think he's one of the guys that really gets going when the action starts.”

The memory is still there for those who saw Waters play in two exhibition games last year of a kid who liked to bash and was good at it.
    “I was impressed with Anthony when he played in the preseason with how aggressive he is,” Turner said. “And he was far from 100 percent.”

Now, with a year of seeing what is required of an NFL player and learning the Chargers defense, Waters is demonstrating signs that he could be a future starter. Perhaps that won't be this season, but someday soon. And his presence will provide not only depth but pressure.

“There are starters who are going to feel the heat from young guys,” Rivera said.

Waters is ready.

“It's still like being a rookie all over again,” he said. “I haven't played since the preseason. It's starting all over, but I have a head start on the playbook, so I feel a little more comfortable in the defense.”

*** his speed is impressive... no doubt in my mind, the doood's a stud and our starting ILB... on Sunday, the pads go on and he'll go off...

2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Everybody's talking about that third cornerback spot but I am really pumped to see this guy waters. :tup:

I don't know if I can handle another AJ reach becoming a superstar...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Bring it on brotha!!!

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Waters is a thumper. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a starter by next year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    fixed it for ya... :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    AJ Smith saw something he liked with Waters, even with the college injury.

In AJ we trust.

Here's to Waters tearing it up in TC and preseason and becoming a force. :tup:

7. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    According to the "draftniks," Waters was projected as a first rounder until he blew out his knee. Just like Cro, another ACL nugget! I'll have my eyes on him when he's playing to see if he brings the wood like they said he does.

8. Shakaboltz

Shakaboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    It will be interesting to see how well he recovered from that injury. We still got Tim Dobbins!:huh:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Waters will be starting before Coop returns. Then we'll have to see who wins out between Coop & Wilhelm.

And there's Siler & Tucker looking for playing time, too. :tup:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    My thoughts are this: How many GM's have put themselves in a position to draft players that are obvious physical risks this high in the draft? How many have actually had this sort of thing pan out? We have an entire linebacking corps that anyone of which could start on one team or another. There are a large number of teams out there who would start any one of our backers. Cottrell has the players to go to a true 4-3 if a situation dictates at any point in a game against any opponent. Greed would make one want to keep them all, but before the next draft, AJ has the surplus to trade into advantageous positions to find Jamal's successor.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    phuque... :icon_evil:

Waters' knee scoped
    LB Anthony Waters had arthroscopic knee surgery Friday and will likely not participate in any drills until at least August.

The injury was described as being similar to the cleanup of cartilage Philip Rivers had before the AFC Championship Game at New England.

Waters had the knee wrapped and was limping only slightly this morning as the Chargers opened the first stage of training camp.

Posted by Kevin Acee at 12:05 PM

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I am really excited to see this guy play, but I just read this on the UT Blog.

Not good. This guy needs the playing time.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It's still several weeks until the first preseason game.

Waters will be ready. Yeah, we might not see as much of him during TC as we want, but preseason is where he'll show his abilities.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Heads Up - Casey's doing a Daily Blog...

Morning update
    Posted Today at 01:44 PM by caseybolts
    The rookies and select vets were on the field this morning for two hours, but something other than practice gathered the most attention.

Antonio Gates was running and cutting on the side and looked really good. I'll have a full report on the site momentarily. He said he doesn't have a timetable for his return yet and Norv indicated he wouldn't join the team for drills for at least the first couple weeks of training camp. But Gates will continue to push himself as he estimates he's at 65 to 70 percent physically.

Also, Norv announced that Anthony Waters underwent an arthroscopic proceedure on his left knee last Friday. It's the same knee that he injured during his senior year at Clemson. Norv said there was just a little "twinge" that they wanted to get taken care of now so he'll hopefully be ready for the first preseason game. It's an estimated 2-3 week recovery period.

Norv was asked about Cason's status but wouldn't speculate. He commented on what a great spring Antoine had and simply said he hopes to get him here soon.

Of the vets here, I recited an old list this morning. It's all the rookies and first-year players as well as all the quarterbacks, Buster Davis, Legedu Naanee, Mark Jones, Brandon Siler, Carlos Polk and Cory Withrow.

There were a bunch of other guys in lifting or working out on their own today. It looks like everyone is really ready to go!

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Bum deal for Waters, I was really hoping he'd be that guy in the middle that would knock you into yesterday. I still have hope for him but damn he could be a force in the middle.

16. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    fixed it for ya:tup::yes::tup:

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

well that sucks, hope he's a quick healer

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Then the report that Gates was seen trotting through the hallways a month ago without a boot were accurate. He'll be ready for game one. Waters will have outpatient surgery and will be walking within 24 hours. Holding him out will be pure precaution. All they did was vacuum the small debris out to prevent irritation. He'll be on an exercise bike two days after surgery, on the weight machines three days later and trotting around as soon as they pull the few stitches necessary to close the wound. Once he gets a couple days to work out a little stiffness, he's good to go. Wuckies.