1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Opportunity may knock for young receivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, Oct 10, 2008

It’s been a while since wide receiver Malcom Floyd has seen the ball thrown his way, but should he get an opportunity Sunday night, he’ll be ready.

“We’ve got so many talented guys on this team that you just have to be patient sometimes,” Floyd said. “Depth has always been a strength of our team, so if one guy can’t go someone else has to step up.”

Bolts wide receiver Chris Chambers, who is tied for the league lead with five touchdown catches this season, missed a third-consecutive day of practice Friday with a sprained ankle and is listed as doubtful for Sunday night’s game against the New England Patriots.

The veteran said he’s felt better every day and he’ll test out his ankle in pregame warm-ups Sunday night, but the Chargers have spent the week preparating in the event their big-play guy can’t play.

“We’ve practiced all week without (Chambers),” Turner said. “We’ve got some other guys ready to go.”

Turner said he’s unsure who would start if Chambers is unable to play, but Floyd and second-year receivers Buster Davis and Legedu Naanee would see their roles increase in Chambers’ absence.

Davis has four receptions this season, all for first downs, while Naanee has one catch on the year and Floyd is still looking for his first opportunity. Last season, Davis caught 20 Philip Rivers passes and Naanee hauled in eight. Floyd caught seven passes, but none after Week 6, although he led the club in receptions this preseason with 12.

“We’ve all three got a lot of confidence and we know we have to step up,” Floyd said. “This is a big challenge for us as a team this week and we have to do our part. I’m excited. Hopefully we’ll get some chances to make plays.”

Tucker also doubtful

Linebacker Jyles Tucker (hamstring) spent Friday’s practice working on the side with a member of the team’s athletic training staff. Like Chambers, he’s listed as doubtful for Sunday.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson (toe), cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip), wide receiver Vincent Jackson and fullback Mike Tolbert (ankle) were full participants Friday and are probable for Sunday.

For New England, running back LaMont Jordan, linebacker Eric Alexander and wide receiver Kelley Washington are doubtful, while running back Laurence Maroney and cornerback Lewis Sanders are questionable.

Stream it live

If you can’t get to a TV Sunday night, you can still pickup the Bolts-Pats game on NFL.com.

The live NFL.com and NBCSports.com coverage will come from NBC's TV coverage of Sunday Night Football. Complementing that stream will be a number of extra features to enrich the viewing experience including additional camera angles, in-game highlights, picture-in-picture technology, live statistics and other interactive elements. Sunday Night Football Extra will also include in-game studio updates from the NBC Football Night in America team and NFL Network talent.

To tune in online, click here.

Check that

The NFL reviewed the scoring of a third-quarter play from last week’s game in Miami and awarded linebackers Shaun Phillips and Antwan Applewhite with a half sack each.

The play was originally scored as a rush for Dolphins running back Ricky Williams. But Williams, who took a handoff from Ronnie Brown out of the “wildcat” formation, lifted the ball like he was going to throw it. By NFL rule, if a passer is tackled for a loss or no gain, it’s considered a sack.

Phillips now has a team-high four sacks. The tackle was the first sack of Applewhite’s career.

Boom!

NBC’s Sunday Night Football crew was on hand at Chargers Park Friday to prepare for this weekend’s broadcast. John Madden, Andrea Kremer and company spent time visiting with Bolts players to gather information to present during the game. On Thursday, Kremer taped a one-on-one interview with LT that will air prior to the game.

More milestones

LT enters Sunday night needing just 19 rushing yards Sunday to reach 11,000 for his career. Tomlinson also enters Sunday’s game with 119 rushing touchdowns and can become just the third player in NFL history to reach 120.

Light it up

The Chargers enter Week 6 ranked third in the NFL in scoring, averaging 29.6 points per game. Scoring is up around the NFL this season as teams are averaging a combined 45.0 points per game. Since 1970, the highest average for a season is 45.0 points per game.

Chargers.com

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Floyd, Buster and Naanee have an opportunity to showcase their talents. don't blow it!

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If they do, it will because Norv didn't coach them well enough.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes they do, & I for one am expecting big things from these guys on Sunday night. :tup:

I hate the term, but IMHO, this one IS a must win to restore the teams' confidence & stay in the hunt.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Us Bolt fan's may be pleasantly surprised by one of these young guy's standing out and making a name for himself. The Pat's can't really game plan for someone they have no tape of, they my get their pantie's pulled down and I've seen it happen before.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Go Go Malcolm!!!

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'm on the Naanee bandwagon myself, but I'll be ecstactic if any or all of them come up huge!!

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If one of them can become a game breaker I'll be loving it, if they all do great that would be a nice problem to have.:tup:

9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Oh they are all bueno :) but Malcolm is so big [6'5"], he reminds me of VJ but without weinie-arming catches. I would love to find out why he's been MIA, if anyone knows? I like VJ, but he will give up on making a catch if he's going to take a hit - which bugs me :tdown: I never understood why Malcolm wasn't higher than VJ on the depth chart.... maybe I missed something :icon_shrug:

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Hey did cuddles really say whats in your siggy? If he did he's has topped a level of douchebaginess.

My new douchebag rankings.

1.Jay Cutler +2;(3)
    2.Tom Brady -1(1)
    3.Bill Belicheck -1 (2)
    4.Deon Sanders +1(5)
    5. Champ Bailey -1 (4)

11. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    LMAO.......True

12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Yes, yes he did.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Are there visions of sugar plums dancing through Kassim's head?