1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Buzz Bissinger Freaks Out at Will Leitch

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Apr 30, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Holy cow!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8000300655329341832&hl=en

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9fCfgTjlWU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9fCfgTjlWU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Awkward......

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The content of that though is right on the money.

Bloggers tend to sensationalize things National Enquirer style to get those web hits, without actual full analysis of what they are putting up.

Braylon's statements regarding things were directly on point.

4. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    If you get a chance read Leitch's new book, "God Save the Fan" It's a great read and nails ESPN for what they have become. He also points out how much power the NFL PR machine has on killing stories.

BTW Costas hates blogs too because he believes sports reporting should only be filtered and dispursed by elites like himself, Bissinger, Peter King, ect.

For me, it's kind of funny to watch the old media elitists panic in the face of competition. I can't wait to see Peter King melt down.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    sounds like the old debate of freedom of speech...
    John Stuart Mill implied nothing should be suppressed, and the truth will rise to the surface and Herbert Marcuse implied some people have to be shut up for the good of society...

these forums (all of em) are alot like that... some people can get away with saying anything and some get banned....... :icon_rofl:

so,..... which of the 2 guys was profane???? :lol:

(so is this tooo deep or completely missing the point... :icon_high:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Oh, I don't mind people putting out their own stuff, as long as it's valid and analyzed properly, not full of BS conjecture.

The Matt Leinart example they used is a perfect example. I'm no fan of Leinart nor any USC product, but there were people commenting and blogging negatively about Matt based on a single photo of him drinking at a party.

They said **** like "Maybe he should work more on being a NFL QB and not drinking and partying all the time." All the time? They didn't bother to take the time to think about it in context. Braylon's statements that the people who criticized Matt didn't know WHEN this event took place. Was it in the offseason? Likely. Was it on a Friday or Saturday night? Likely. Instead, a bunch of Internet forum idiots and bloggers made the blanket assumption that he does this all the time, even during the season and during times when he should be practicing. Their statements about Matt support that.

So, I have no problem with people blogging and doing their own 'reporting', as long as they do it responsibly, and not try to sensationalize **** or quite literally, a single snapshot, and turn it into some massive thing to make themselves (the bloggers) seem more important.

Otherwise, they'll just become another Hacksaw or PFT, pretty much taking up useless space and not credible in the least, but they feel fine at criticizing everything and everyone just for those web hits, often degenerating into little more than rumor mongering and making baseless accusations. Where's the value in that?

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    There are plenty of valid criticisms of blogs, among which you guys pointed out--they overgeneralize, sensationalize, repeat rumors as facts, etc. etc.

But the problem I have with traditional media is that they hurl these criticisms at internet and self-published writers without realizing, or caring, that they do the exact same things themselves time and again. Not to mention the fact that traditional media outlets tend to react towards internet writers and bloggers with elitism and condescension--"How dare you question me? I work for CBS/ABC/NY TIMES/ESPN/whatever!"

I'm reminded of the whole Dan Rather scandal with CBS and the fake memos that came out just before the 2004 election. When online bloggers first questioned the veracity of the documents, CBS's first, and for a while only, reaction was to insult them, call them guys in their underwear in front of their computer screen, and insist that their "high journalistic standards of review and integrity" assured that the documents were in fact genuine. Of course, subsequent investigation revealed that there had been no such high standards of review, and that CBS had even gone so far as to lie about what their own experts had told them.

Unfortunately, this is how most established media outlets see the new media. They are like feudal lords amazed that their subjects would dare question their wisdom.

8. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree there. The "traditional" media has pulled some major boners of their own regarding 'facts', yet don't like to get called on it.

For me, when looking at a news "source" or columnist, I look at their reporting history and how accurate they've been when stating things. If they aren't very accurate, there's no point in reading what they've got to write. They've become another National Enquirer thing at that point. Although, the Enquirer is still flourishing after all this time even with 99% of their crap being BS because obviously millions of people still read their crap (to our eventual idiocracy).

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is one "traditional" media person I put a lot of credit in, since he's usually accurate. Note, I said usually, not always. He's right about 90% of the time, which in today's "report it first, verify it later" Internet-enabled times, is extraordinary. His biggest thing remember was reporting before the 2006 season was done that the Raiders planned on replacing Art Shell as the HC to which the Raiders angrily responded against Schefter. Adam just smiled after hearing of their response and just said "their response doesn't actually deny what I said, just criticized that I said it. All the Raiders have to do is deny that it is true. We'll know by the start of the 2007 season who is right and who is wrong." Turned out Adam was right since the Raiders hired Lane Kiffin.

That's the type of reporting I respect and listen to regularly. Too bad all bloggers and Internet reporters/writers don't strive for that type of credibility. Instead they take a single photo or phrase out of context and let their imaginations run wild.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That was really interesting. Buzz is wound a little too tight and Will Leitch is really just giving his opinion on a blog. It's up to the readers out there to differentiate what is real news or just tabloid stuff. I think most fans can tell the difference. Leitch is just providing mindless sports entertainment really. Buzz is from the old school of sports journalism before the internet and I see his point. But you really can't do anything to stop it. With the advent of the internet, ANY fool can write anything they want and somebody will believe it. Man, it looked for a second like a fight was going to break out there for a second. I'm surprised there wasn't any fists flying. Now THAT would have been entertaining! :lol:

10. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

You mean like ABC or ESPN with an image of Philip Rivers jawing at Cutler (sic).

This is a perfect example of what bothers the elites like Costas, Bissinger, King, Kornholio, etc. Somebody has the unmitigated gall to question their bullshit. They have contempt for us fans. We should not be allowed to have our own opinions.

Also, if you re-listen to the clip you'll see that one of the things that really pissed off Bissinger was the fan's comments on Sean Salsbury being released by ESPN. Were your thoughts on the matter that much different? For me it was spot on.

11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Oh that part I agree with you on. The other part of the dialogue (or heated discussion :lol: ) where they talked about blogging and 'reporting' without thought of verification and repercussion is where Braylon's comments were exactly correct.

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Agree 100%.

EDIT: John Clayton is a guy on ESPN that is usually spot on. I also like Schefter.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    :icon_eek:

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I kind of agree here. But this is definitely a freedom of speech issue. I'm sure Costas and Bissinger are all for freedom of speech until someone says something they disagree with or find distasteful. Before the internet, those that with a different viewpoint couldn't easily get a wide audience. Now they can and Costas and Bissenger don't like it.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Bloggers are mostly going to be doing opinion pieces because they don't (with possibly a few exceptions) have the access that traditional media does.

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I generally hate blogs, because they usually read like a high school newspaper. It's on the reader to differentiate between fact and entertainment. It's not that hard imo. That said, some are fun, and we are in a new world order these last ten years or so. Give it another 25 years and the establishment is going to be ******** themselves.

The same technology that they want to whine about is also saving lives and exposing injustice everywhere with things like police brutality and criminal behavior. You can't have it both ways. Think about how far we have come in the last ten years, and knowing the rate at which technology doubles... Do the math.

Bloggers still bug me, but I like the fact that everything deemed "news worthy" by the media isn't necessarily what the people find news worthy. Check this clip posted by jdog on LLV with Jesse Ventura. It's a freaking classic, and his point about it must have been the reporters decision to spend a month and a half talking about Anna Nicole Smith is why blogs aren't going anywhere.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lUhVFpwhgE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lUhVFpwhgE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

17. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Bloggers and internet news is fine. It can be just as biased as mainstream news and often times is the only way to learn about some stories. There are a lot of stories that fall through the cracks, whether intentional or not, that gets picked up by the internet community.

Mainstream news is owned by corporations and influenced by them. Anyone who pretends they're not biased is fooling themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree there. Blogs aren't "evil" by nature, no matter how much the traditional media may seem to think so. There's only two issues I have with blogs in general:

1.) Those blogs that try to pass off rumor and innuendo as the truth. Especially those that do the "Well, I have a friend who has a brother who knows a source familiar with (sports team) and he told me that so-and-so did this-that-or-the-other. So get ready, the **** is going to hit the fan!" Really? You couldn't be any more vague and superficial than that?

2.) Those that allow comments on their opinions but allow the really hateful, spiteful ones pass without care or warning. That seems to be the main point Bissinger was trying to make towards Leitch. That Leitch allowed all those comments from readers on his blog that really slammed Salisbury, when such wouldn't be allowed on TV or radio or even traditional media websites. It's one thing to say, "well, I'm glad that Salisbury isn't on ESPN anymore, because I never really cared for him" and another to say "Hooray! That mother#&#&%&# is off the air! Dude can suck a big fat donkey dick because he's a mother#$#$#^$# a-hole! I hope he gets some sort of terminal disease that really hurts and then he dies horribly because I hate that fuc$#&%&#!!!!!!"

Bissinger likely wouldn't have cared much about posts of the former, but the latter, that are pretty much over the line, are what set him off. Leitch didn't care to scan the comments made and allowed those on his site. Traditional media sites do scan those comments made after their articles and remove/disallow the really inflammatory and profane ones. Bissinger criticized Leitch for not doing the same with his site.

19. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Where did this come from?

If I were Bissinger I would ask for a new lawyer.

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It was the part where Bob Costas was talking about comments posted on Leitch's DeadSpin site regarding Sean Salisbury.

Leitch didn't make those comments. Those were comments from readers about Leitch's article regarding Salisbury. However, Leitch allowed those comments to pass and didn't remove them. That seemed to be Bissinger's main point. Traditional media sites wouldn't have allowed them, because all they were about was a bunch of idiots mouthing off, and they didn't add anything useful to the discussion.

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Slug, you missed the BS going on here when supposedly kowledgeable posters here, based on what CBS decided to show as it became clear LT could not play in the AFCCG, decided to start a stooopid thread that LT pussed out. To fuel the flames, the word of still unnamed "fans" (talk about pussing out) that they saw LT sulk on the bench the whole game was taken over teammates, coaches and LT himself.

Seems like an anoalogy can be drawn there to here.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I think I was around for that. That and this thing I caught up on regarding Merriman (a few weeks ago) are what I'm talking about.

People just saying any random thing off the top of their head or jumping to conclusions based on just 5 seconds of video or a single photo, or even what some beer buddy told them and trying to convince people it's the truth. The Rivers' "atta boy baby!" thing on MNF regarding Cutler is another example. :tdown:

23. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    No, I get that it was in the comments section, it's just that I read the comments sections on deadspin articles (I find them funny) and I never saw anything that flat out mean-spirited.

24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Ah. Well then, that is interesting. I'd like to know where Costas got those comments from then.

25. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Me too.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, don't even get me started with those posters BFISA........:icon_evil:

27. Kwak

Kwak ....