1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT Charles Brown @ pick #28?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If he drops to 28, will A.J. pick him?

[​IMG]

Pass blocking: Lanky build with plenty of room for additional growth. Long arms and shows good quickness off the snap. Shuffles back in pass protection with bent knees, ready to slide inside or out to mirror the defender. Significantly improved his upper-body strength as a senior, using a more effective punch to stun the pass rusher. Gives good effort, and showed improved upper-body strength to sustain blocks. Can become fundamentally lazy and lean on his opponent rather than sliding his feet, even allowing much slower defenders beating him inside.

Run blocking: While he flashes nastiness with an explosive initial shove, he remains largely a finesse blocker who relies on positioning and athleticism. Only marginal using leverage and leg drive as a short-area run blocker. Shows an explosive burst to make the reach block or cut block when sealing the edge.

Pulling/trapping: Shows good quickness off the snap for combo blocks. Gets his hands into defenders and is agile enough to release and get to the second level.

Initial Quickness: Good initial quickness and depth in his kick slide in pass protection and when attacking the defender in the running game.

Downfield: Good quickness downfield as a run blocker. Can get to the second level and adjusts nicely to the moving target. Flashes some nastiness with an explosive shove to knock the defender off the ball, but scouts would rather he latched on and kept his feet chugging to make sure his man doesn't recover. Shows good effort to sustain blocks and will hustle downfield.

Intangibles: Former tight end who impressed in his first season as the starting left tackle in 2008 and showed greatly improved upper body strength and aggression in his second starting season. Might be just scratching the surface of his potential.

2. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    If OT is in play at either 28 or 40, I would rather see Roger Saffold in a Charger Uniform.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Unless there's a massive run on tackles, Brown will be there at the end of the first. But we need a NT and a RB far more then a raw OT

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I doubt that we see OL drafted before the 7th if then.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    The only way we go for a RT is if one of the top 5 guys falls to us, and the only one who MIGHT (althought i seriously doubt it) is Bruce Campbell, and if hes there and Cody/mathews arent, we better take him!

Im sick of Clary and think he is the weaklink on this offense, even last year when LT decided he didnt care anymore and didnt try, clary was still worse.

6. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    You do realize that Clary was our top rated run blocker of our entire O-Line last year. The right side of our line was the 2nd best run blocking line in the NFL behind the Jets.

But I guess your personal observations and biased opinions are much more acurate than the stats.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Where do you get those stats because Vasquez was horrible at run blocking

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Show this stat !!!

I would like to see it.

And Clary was out for a few games and he was our top rated blocker? WTF ?

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Any thread talking about linemen has the "TrumpetMan seal of approval" :tup:

The rest take up space and do not mean dik.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    [​IMG]

"Official Trumpet Man Seal of Approval"

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    QFT:icon_rofl:

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Yeah and stats say that Mike Tolbert was one of the best RBs in the NFL last year on a per touch basis, means absolutely nothing to me

Clary was clearly a weak link last year, and has been for a few years now. If we can get any of the top 6 OTs (ill include Brown, ill take anyone with arms that long with his skillset), they would present a major upgrade over Clary.

13. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Here is your link as posted by PREA over on the CMB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

You will notice that we were 18th in overall run blocking and 5th in pas blocking in the top section. In the mid section it breaks down the run blocking by direction and under the right tackle column we were 2nd as I stated in my first post to the Jets.

Here are the ranks for individual players at all 3 line positions, OT first

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

You will notice that Clary was #24, McNeil was #50, and Dombrowski was #57

Here are the guards, Vasquezis #28 and Dielman is #59

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

At Center Mrcuczkowski was #8

These were the stats that I posted about.

Clary was the best Tackle, Vasquez was the best Guard, and actaualy our best O-Lineman stat wise compared to his peers was our center.

If you guys have other links from other sources feel free to post them.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is what happens when you use stats and do not understand what you are reading or you make certain conclusions which are misleading.

You said "The right side of our line was the 2nd best run blocking line in the NFL behind the Jets."

That is not true.

The stat column you are looking at is for the right tackle ONLY.

What you fail to consider is our RIGHT GUARD rank is 25th. You need to combine both scores. Then do an average to get another result for general direction running efficiency.

The right side of our line is NOT #2 when running in that direction. That is misleading. Very misleading. :yes:

Tell the mensas at the Chargers Main board that if they need an education to come here because what they are preaching is stats for sheep. :bolt:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I will go this far, any stat or person who says Clary was better than McNeil or that Vasquez was better than Dielman, is a complete joke.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Sid Gilman once said and it rings true even today is that "stats are just a bunch of numbers looking for an argument"

Clary was playing better and his back up held his own. We need another 6'7" tackle who can move. I do not think Clary has any room left to improve. I suspect this is his ceiling. That is not good enough.

17. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I disagree, big time. I think Clary was the most consistent O Linemen last year.. Hands down.

Everyone busts his balls, but if you watch him play he's honestly not bad. I'll take Clary over Brown, but I may take Saffold over Clary. I am not real big on Brown.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He isn't good either, and is easily the spot on the line that needs the most improvement

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was on Clary's *** early & often last season, but the fact of the matter is that he played well enough that EVERYBODY'S sphincter slammed shut when he got hurt. :yes:

Trumpy has a couple of good points - Clary has likely topped out talent-wise & Vasquez was a rook. Vasquez may make the Pro bowl (FWIW) this year - I **** you not. He's a very good guard.

Dielman needs to come out of the blocks hot this year. Last year he was MIA until well into the season. Hardwick got hurt early - Mruc held his own & then some before it was over.

You want an upgrade? Look at Hardwick. Sorry Nick, but we need more *** in the middle of that line. With more teams going to a 3-4 with a 330+ lb. guy over center ...? :icon_shrug:

And Dombrowski is our swing guy, flute-tooter. :yes:

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It's going to be a great camp battle.

21. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The center/guard split is the A Gaps on either side of the center. The B Gaps is th one that is between the guard and tackle. The C gaps are outside the tackle. There is a seperate column for outside runs.

So yes the B Gap is affected in run blocking both by guard and the tackle.

Did you look at the player evaluations at all.

If you don't have any other stats to disprove these then your thoughts are just your opinions.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    There won't be a battle. Hardwick is and will be the starter. :yes:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I understand gap assignments and especially the part how stats can either make you look like a genius or a snake oil salesman.

Posting that the right side of our line is second only to the Jets is pretty much smoke and mirrors.

I did look a the player evals. I had not seen that site before so thanks for the link. :tup: It is interesting seeing the game broken down in that manner.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Anyone comfortable with Dombroski at Left Tackle is eager to see Rivers and Volek on IR.

Ski is a good backup at RT but he is not a starter in my book and at Left Tackle which is more demanding on those football skills, you are asking for the kiss of death. :yes: My hat was off to him for holding his own last year. I do not want him gone. He has more ceiling to improve versus Clary the way I see it unfolding. We need a LOCK DOWN right tackle. I hate having to see a TE having to help our weak link because it make us run predictable.

Stop the madness.

Think beef.

25. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I have no problem with drafting an OT high in this draft. I thnk it makes allot of sense for two reasons, one is the new guy could be in the mix at RT this year and second if McNeil decides to leave next year he could move over.

I think Saffold would be nice at 40, or if we pick up an extra pick a couple of other guys I like are Veldheer and Ducasse. Ducasse projets long term more as a guard but he is a very solid run blocker.

I also like Kyle Calloway later in the draft but I think he is only a fit at RT.