1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Did the bears jump the gun on Tank Johnson ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Jul 3, 2007.

?

Did the bears jump the gun on Tank Johnson ?

1. Yes

32.1%
  2. No

67.9%
  1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Was curious to see what people here thought.

In my opinion they did.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It certainly looks that way.

Though you have to wonder why he got pulled over if he wasnt drunk. At least he didnt get shot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

I stand by what I said on June 25th. Tank Johnson basically was waived because he was driving his car unimpaired at an "unacceptable" hour.

That is a raw deal. :tdown:

4. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I dunno, I feel like he put himself on the line, saying he was going to win Person of the Year, and he's a boyscott from here on out. With his track record he needed to be inside his house before midnight. The guy is making millions and millions of dollars, and he can't even last two months without making the papers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bull.

He said he was going to become a model citizen and that his goal was to become "NFL Man of the Year" .... being out at 3:30 am, speeding, and having a BAC of .072, is not exacly keeping his word to the Bears and Goodell on how he would conduct himself. He was 2 sips of beer away from a DUI.

He had enough chances. This was not just a single incident, but the final straw in a series of problems that Tank Johnson has had.

Raw deal my ***. He got what he deserved. Tank Johnson didn't grow up after saying he would.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    QFT

• Like Like x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

At least he pulled over.:bolt2:

8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Pastabelli column

Bears told Johnson they'd have zero tolerance

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    this on its own is not a big deal and if it was this and nothing else, then Johnson was screwed.

Its everything on top of it because you can't seperate this event even though he was under the limit and even though he really didn't do anything.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Raw deal? I don't think so.

Tank was given every opportunity to become a model citizen, especially AFTER doing jail time. He failed. Whether or not he was over the legal limit doesn't mean dick in this case. He had yet another run-in with the law and the Bears said SEE YA.

Breaking the NFL's code of conduct DOES NOT mean having to break the law first. Every player has to abide by that. If they don't, then it's good bye.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Are you kidding me? Pick up a player that's done jail time and was picked up by the police AGAIN? Not no, but HELL NO.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He was drinking and driving, he just wasn't legally drunk.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

Is it illegal to drink and drive? :icon_shrug:

Are you saying that after 1 beer I shouldn't drive? What about 6? :icon_huh:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And? It is not illegal to drink a beer then drive. It is when someone drinks too much and drives. What dirrfernce does it make if he wasnt 'legally' drunk?

The fact is he wasnt drunk. So why was he pulled over? He could have been driving erratically, changing lanes without a signal, guilty of being black in an expensive car, a lot of things.

The Bears jumped the gun on this period. Would you appreciate losing your job for being pulled over and accused by the media of being drunk, only to later find out you were not legally drunk?

Make you feel much better losing your job would it?:icon_huh:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I did just say that!

16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Driving 40 MPH in a 25 MPH zone is more than enough reason to get pulled over.

He lost his job because he was out of chances. He knew he had a zero tolerance policy, yet he opted to disregard that and go out, drink, and then drive.

I saw that other thread (and other forums) where people here think driving 40 in a 25 is no big deal. I totally disagree. I have yet to see a 25 zone that didn't have a reason for it.

The Bears absolutely did not jump the gun. They told Tank what the rules were (see above Pastabelly link). He could not get in ANY trouble again. He was lucky he didn't get canned after the last incident, but the Bears gave him one more chance.

He was not legally drunk, but impaired enough to not drive the proper speed limit. He made the wrong choice. He paid for it.

BTW: He didn't blow into the straw at the time of the arrest. He gave a blood sample later, back at the police station (or hospital). How much time elapsed from when he was pulled over until when he gave the sample? Was that enough time for his BAC to downgrade by .008 .... the difference between the .072 BAC he was measured at and the .08 that would have made him "drunk" ???

He was drinking and driving. That was enough to cue the zero tolerance policy the Bears had enacted on him, and to can his *** from the team. He absolutely deserved it.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Once again, the NFL has a CODE OF CONDUCT that ALL players MUST FOLLOW. It DOESN'T MATTER if they have broken the law or not. Why is that so hard to understand?

And if you think that big corporations don't have something similar in place, think again. For high profile positions like CEO, CFO, COO, VP of whatever, they make it very clear that ANY action that has the potential to put the company in a bad light, they can terminate your contract. They might have to pay out your salary or award stock options. But they can be rid of you rather quickly.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And this code of conduct is broken by being pulled over by a cop? So if they pulled you over because you have a broken tail light that violates the code of coduct?

How is that? So your saying you could be fired because a cop pulled you over and you had one beer. WOW dude, you are pretty forgiving. I would be right pissed off if someone pulled that crap on me.

What did he do wrong? What is so hard to understand about that?

Edit: Just saw the guy was doing over 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Idiot.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    If it were a broken tailight WOULD WE EVER HEAR about it? NO. Would the Bears have heard about it? NO. But because he was pulled over, and the police had reason to haul him in and check his BAL, that IS enough for the Bears to say, "we've given you enough chances, BUH-BYE".

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Tank could very easily have been playing Madden at a buddy's house; I've done that until very late at night. It doesn't necesarily mean he was out clubbing.

And like I posted before, there are plenty of streets where the speed limit might be 25, but everybody goes 35 or 40. We don't know those circumstances.

Johnson is already being punished for the multiple offenses with the suspension. The guy gets a speeding ticket and loses his job. It still doesn't seem right to me.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And I fully disagree with you on this point. That is not enough. If they check it and it is above the legal limit THAT IS ENOUGH. Just taking someone in and finding they are legal IS NOT ENOUGH!

Speeding in a 25 mph zone is enough. But not being taken in to just check his BAL. Nope sorry not enough.

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Conc -

It's not this specific incident that got him canned, but the cumulative effect of many incidents and having a zero tolerance policy on his conduct (to retain employment) after he was released from jail.

I think you are trying to separate this incident from his past, and that is not the circumstances with which he was under. If this had been his first problem, then he would not have lost his job.

There are many jobs where this incident would disqualify a person from working for their current employer. When I worked at Halliburton, they had a zero tolerance for DUI's. Get one and get fired. Didn't matter who you were. The senior well engineer where I worked got fired after getting a DUI.

Also, anyone who possesses a CDL (Commercial Driver's License) can not blow even a .001 and retain his/her license. Federal DOT guidelines have a "zero tolerance" on drinking and driving, so even if a CDL holder blew a ".072" in a regular automobile, he/she would lose their right to drive a commercial vehicle.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Yes it is enough as it counts as yet another run in with the law, something of which Tank said publicly HE WOULD NOT DO.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shamrock again." :tup:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Bull crap! He did the time, yes there is a zero tolerence policy for him. Being pulled over by the cops should not violate that. Unless a clause is written in giving him a curfue and he broke it, being out late isnt a violation. Nor is having his BAL checked. It is pure BS to jump at something like that, you either give the guy a fair shake or you dont. Dont play stupid political games for the media.

He sped in a 25 mph zone. I am fine if the Bears want to say he is fired because he got a speeding ticket. But they didnt did they?

Have you ever gotten in trouble, and had that follow you? The smallest thing you did was over reacted to. Well that is what is going on with Tank. You can sugar coat it all you want, but if you were in his shoes you would not be so hard line, would you?

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Are you serious. That is stupid. How many times have you been or seen someone pulled over for no reason and let go.

That is just stupid man.

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One of the reports said he was "speeding and driving erratically." That is enough to take him in for a breath test (probably refused) or a blood test to check BAC.

What am I sugar coating? All of you that think it's okay to speed in a 25 zone and believe that barely being under the legal limit for alcohol are the ones sugar coating the actions of Tank Johnson.

If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't had been drinking and driving. If I wanted to drink, I would have done it at home, or find a designated driver. There is no way I would put myself in a position to get fired.

Tank Johnson made the choice to disregard the zero tolerance conditions he was under to retain employment. It's not just a "speeding ticket" but the fact that he WAS drinking and driving. It didn't matter whether he was legally drunk or not because of the conditions of his employment based on his past actions.

It was the final straw for the Bears, and they were correct, and within their right, to release a player that didn't know how to avoid trouble.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Bears took a stance on Tank's behavior & he put himself into a situation that opened him up for their policy to be applied. That's the simple part.

What I have a problem with is the do-gooders on here who act as if they've never driven a car with a BAC close to or over the limit. Is it safe? No, but most of us have done it.

40 in a 25? Again, not safe behavior. But I'll gladly kiss the a** of anyone here who hasn't been guilty of speeding, regardless of the posted limit or whether actually caught. :winkiss:

Tank's cumulative actions got him canned. He doesn't appear to be exhibiting very good judgment & that would prevent me from wanting to see him in a Chargers uni.

I'm not going to judge or persecute the guy for this incident. He screwed up in the eyes of the Bears organization. He's paying the price.

:icon_beer: