1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Favre asks Packers for release.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Jul 11, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    From ESPN:

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If I'm the Packers I say no. Accept a trade to a team we select, albeit a team with a chance to win outside of the division. Either that or a guarantee that he will sign a waiver that precludes him signing with a list of selected teams that includes everyone in the division or on this year's NFC schedule. Wait-make him take a trade to where Alice said there is no there there-or where Herb Caen said the problem is that when you're there, it IS there.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If I am Aaron Rodgers I ask for a trade if he returns.

4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The Packers would be stupid to do it any way other than what you just stated. Favre can't honestly expect Green Bay to just allow him to amble off into the Vikings line-up or anywhere else that might come back and haunt them. I'm really starting to dislike this mofo :tdown: I do wish I knew exactly what conversation took place last March between Green Bay and Favre. If they actually did PUSH HIM into making a knee-jerk decision...then they have no one but themselves to blame for whatever unfolds.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Pack will not release Favre. It makes no sense. They might trade him for the right deal to the right team, but it will not be the team of Favre's choosing. Brett needs to get over himself. He's not bigger than the system.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If they trade him and he doesn't like the team he gets traded to does he just stay retired?

if I'm GB, no way I let him walk

He's playing them like a fiddle. Make him suffer

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Who is going to start a thread asking for us to sign him?

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It kind of looks like the other way around. That the peckers are playing farve to get a draft pick out of him on trading him.

Packers can't afford farve anymore. Smart buisness. But Farve knows he can still play so he wants a chance to play with another team.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I hope he goes the Bears or Vikings. That would be hilarious.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Do the Cheeseheads own his rights? Couldn't they just keep him if they don't get an offer they like?

put him on the PUP or something!!!!

:tdown:

12. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    This just in; John Madden and Peter King also ask for their relea....

....too late.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    no **** huh:yes:

14. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    yeah they are going to take $12.8-million hit to the salary cap merely out of spite.

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No chance he gets released. They will trade him to the AFC most likely.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm not sure. But I'd have to guess he's still under contract to the cheesheads. It looks like they want to move on and have some salary cap room.

But it also looks like farve wants to play still. If the peckers could get a good trade I'm guessing they'd do it.

17. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Backup To Furious Phil???

A.J. Make It Happen...

:cool:

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Chico is gonna go apeshiit over this. I can't tell you how the town has been buzzin' with Aaron Rodgers=Packers Savior talk. Such high hopes. Apparently he's a really good kid, but he's in an impossible situation which is getting worse by the day.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    A reporter from Milwaukee was just talking about what a great person he was. Rodgers has been very patient and it is finally his time to get his shot. Favre is being a bit of a **** in pulling this crap.

The GB Coach and GM asked him not once but three times after his retirement if he wanted to come back. They even tried to convince him to go 1 more year, but Favre told them he was done.

Now he comes out with this crap? He is taking some serious image hits. Many GB fans are not happy with him at all.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    LOL. Not at ~14.5 Mill.

21. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Favre has two years left on his contract with the Packers.

He can't play unless they release him, trade him, or take him off the reserve/retired list. So he's basically at their mercy.

I agree 100% that Favre is being a media whore.

I should think they will trade him to one of four teams:

Carolina, Tampa Bay, New York (Jets), or Kansas City.

Each team has quarterback troubles, but otherwise has the talent to make it a competitor.

I would think it more likely that they send him to the AFC so they won't have to face him for a while.

An interesting side note is that if he goes to any one of those teams, he will play the Chargers this year again. And it is also interesting to note that the Chargers have never beaten Brett Favre (I don't think). If they have, it's been years.

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mebbe Atlanta, where he began his career.

23. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Favre in purple & white would be a nightmare for the rest of the NFC. Can't see GB letting that happen. Carolina is a better possibility. I don't like the thought of him in KC - he CAN still play if they could keep him upright.

It's a nightmare situation the Packers & Favre is putting them square in the middle of it. I can understand still wanting to play, but Rodgers deserves his chance. I hope that they find a trade partner.

25. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
  26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm nor sure of the rules, but I think the option to allow him back off retirement belongs to the Packers. The PR nightmare people are talking about would occur only if Favre could wedge his way back into the line up on his own. Seems to me they can let him twist in the wind until a suitable deal to a suitable team materializes. Doesn't he have to apply for reinstatement?

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Favre has proven himself as an ego maniac and a fool; him in Minnesota would be an upgrade but let's not forget Minnesota's a run first offense and Favre's never been in that situation. minny's WRs and TEs are also pretty sub-par and Favre's gunslinging "throw lots of INTs too" ways might harm as much as help

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Let Favre go to the Raiders and get creamed...

29. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I bet Davis already needs cotton pads to control the drooling. This is absolutely a deal he can't pass up despite himself, and if Favre is released, he comes up first on the waiver wire among tempted teams to pick him up. If I'm in the Minnesota front office, I'm talking to Davis already and I'm not even trying to drive a hard bargain. I might even be willing to dent this year's cap to pay some of the salary. I might make the trade for Echamandu.

30. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

[​IMG]

My college roommate and best friend who is a diehard Packers fan (the guy actually has the GB logo on one of his molars) wants the the Pack to trade Farve to Chicago for thier first pick plus more if they can get it. :icon_shrug: No matter what this is a PR disaster for Farve.