1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Mike Singletary Fired

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The San Francisco 49ers announced late Sunday night they have fired coach Mike Singletary after 2 1/2 seasons at the helm.

Singletary Fired

Singletary was informed of the decision shortly after the team returned from St. Louis, where the 49ers (5-10) were eliminated from NFC West contention after losing 25-17 to the Rams. Singletary become the 4th NFL coach to be dismissed this season, joining Wade Phillips (Cowboys) and Brad Childress (Vikings) & Josh McDaniels (Broncos).

Could Singletary or Phillips be our next DC if Ron Rivera becomes some other team's next Head Coach? :confused:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Fire Norv right now, promote Ron the last game and see how it goes
    If Ron is successful/fits the job well, hire Mike for DC

/pipedream

3. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    RR cant even run the "D" without having 12 men on the field noway he can run the whole team

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    How will we know if we don't give him a look? I think all the ineptness comes from Norv tbh.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    You guys that are calling for Sing as a DC do realize that Singletary has absolutely no playcalling experience whatsoever and has shown no ability during his HC tenure to make in-game adjustments, right? What aside from having the personality of R. Lee Ermey leads you to believe he would be an effective defensive playcaller?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Because he was a successful DC before he was a HC.

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Time to make a sweeping change that will make the palyers sweat!

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    With the lockout looming and AJ's dilusion that Norv is a "brilliant coach" (direct quote) I actually think its pretty doubtfull Norv gets fired, even if we get embarrassed again next week.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He was? With who? He was a Defensive Quality Control and Linebackers Coach for the Niners, that was promoted to Asst. HC, then became the interim HC when Mike Nolan was canned. Nolan was calling the plays the entire time prior to Sing being the HC of that team.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The 49ers are a organization that wants to win. The Singletary wasn't the answer yet the chargers believe Norv is after 4 seasons(Going to 5). Unbelievable.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Spanos gave Norv an extension after going 13-3 and losing in the playoffs last year. They're on the hook for the next 3 years wether he coaches here or not, and considering this is a cheap organization I doubt they'll want to pay 2 HCs.

12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    . Being one of the best linebackers ever?

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

Can tgey stand 8 blackouts. Next year?

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Would that make Marino or Elway an automatic shoo-in as an OC?

I like Singletary but he obviously isn't ready for prime time just yet. Gruden is a putz, Cowher won 1 SB in what? 15 yrs?

Dream away but the truth is that neither Norv nor AJ are going anywhere. They follow the line of the FO too well to upset that apple cart.

15. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Stop saying that. I'm sick tired of hearing that if we got Cowher it would take him another 15 years to win with us. That's a complete and utter joke.

Just look at the QB's he had to work with.

Neil O'Donnell
    Mark Brunell
    Mike Tomczak?

Are you telling me these Qb's are as good as Rivers? I know AJ and Norv aren't going anywhere because this team is committed to "Just getting there". They have no balls and no goals of being a competitive organization. So as long as Spanos gets he's money who the hell cares?

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    All the Chargers need is a top flight defense and all with be fine in Chargerville.

17. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    My thoughts exactly. How many years are we going to suffer with this guy. The day he was announced as the HC I knew we were in trouble.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    How many times has Singletary gotten into the playoffs? How many division titles has he won?
    i'm not backing Norv but that combined with his borderline insane behavior was justifiable grounds for a quick exit.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Singletary never had anyone in that organization tell him "NO" or "STOP". Everyone was too afraid of him to tell him anything.

Hell, they didn't even have the balls to fire him face to face. They did it when his plane was in the air.

The Niners won't win until they get a real General Manager in there. Jed York is a putz.

20. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    He's goal was to get that team to the playoffs and then some. He failed. The 49ers don't stand for being "just ok" they want to win and Singletary was not the answer so they fired him. Norv has failed to do what he was brought into to do which is win a SB with this team. Yet we allow him stay. You know why? We are complacent with being "ok" and "just getting there".

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So by your logic every HC not named Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, or Tomlin should be canned right now... or as soon as they failed to "win a Super Bowl" again this year. So long Mike McCarthy (and he's accomplished less than Norv has in a similar tenure). So long Mike Smith (if they don't hoist a Lombardi this year). No Lombardi, Andy Reid, you're headed for the unemployment line.

I'm not saying that I'm wholly enthused about Norv as a HC, however - though it may be asking for more than the current regime is willing to do - I still believe with certain tweaks elsewhere on the coaching staff, this team can still win a Championship in spite of Norv. Do I want that to happen? A rather bittersweet no because that would mean many more years of Norv, and I don't want to be another Tampa Bay Buccaneers or St. Louis Rams where we win the big one but then fall off the map completely within another 2-3 year span.

But the logic of "you're hired to win a Championship, if you don't do that then you should be fired" is a little too blunt. I realize there are other circumstances and points to be argued, but as a stand alone argument it's pretty limp and lame.

22. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    No, no its not. Are you telling me Norv was brought in to do something other than win a championship? This isn't about other teams its about Norv and what he was brought in to do. If he was brought in to just win AFC West divison titles then he has far succeed. But that's not what he was brought in to do. I'm sick and tired of settling for second place or division title. SuperBowl or Bust is the mantra and for 4 consecutive years Norv has been a BUST.

23. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Perhaps you haven't noticed all the coach firings this year? Expectations are set, you deliver or you don't. It was made VERY clear Turner was brought in to take the team to "the next level" - I'd say in 4 years he's failed to do that, in fact, the team too often looks listless under him.

24. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Let's revisit the quality of the roster ole Norv was handed when he arrived shall we? It ain't what it once was, but this year's roster against the schedule was a whole bunch better than .500.

25. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Really? Because they sure haven't shown it over the last 7 years and counting. :lol:

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I don't think Ant was trying to make an argument in favor of not firing Norv. In fact, he even said as much in the post you quoted.

I'm pretty sure all he was saying is that it's a hell of a lot more obvious in a situation such as Singletary's when he has lost as many games as he has...in such a horrible division no less.