1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 9, 2011.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
  3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Well, Oakland's defense just got a little worse. Somebody is going to have to pony up a boatload of money to lock him up...Probably not the Chargers.

4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    HC fired- Best DB gone- Chaos in Oakland- brilliant

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Makes you wonder if there is something more than cornflakes in Uncle Al's cereal bowl...

Pointy

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Denver is a high possibility. I keep hearing Champ is unlikely to re-sign.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    LOL! Cheers!

Two of the best individuals in the organization gone.

Say what you will about Cable, he had the Raiders playing tough football. And when you don't have an all star cast-***-QB (edit: jesus christ, the profanity filter doesn't even let you use English now? wtf???) what's going to get you wins is physicality and effort.

And Nambdi? With the way that the Raiders waste money and draft picks you'd think they would at least pay up for the one guy they knew was a slam dunk.

If I can't count on the Chargers (which seems like the rule rather than the exception) the least I'd like to see is the Raiders ******* up a good thing. LOL!!!!

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This would be a great free agent pick up by the chargers. But if I know aj like I do. He won't go after him but he will get a great pick in first round(ala Buster, English). But I see a team like the Patriots getting this guy.

9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I knew this idiocy would show up sooner or later

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think Seymour is inclined to re-sign either.

11. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Ahhh...I see now. AJ Fan? Yes?

12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Irrelevant. Everyone always says he doesn't get big free agents, but how often does that strategy (see: Oakland, Washington) work? I knew someone would come in here starting up on the "AJ doesn't get free agents" talk

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Please explain why this would be a great free agent pick up by the Chargers. I mean, why do the Chargers need to spend money on him vs. any other team in the NFL?

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    You love jumping to conclusions, don't you?

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    BIG NAME!

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Hell of a player too. One of the best corners in the league. We don't need him but he'd be a great addition. Still would prefer either tamba Hali or Lamar Woodley instead

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Yes, Hali would! No pun intended...

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think AJ should cause an escalator in a smokescreen signing war on this one.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    isn't he pretty good? isn't that reason enough? or am I missing something in this converation

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I think the meat of the question was asking why we should commit the salary it'd take to bring him in for a position that isn't as much of a need as other positions are.

I don't think anybody disagrees that Nnamdi would be an awesome pick up for the Chargers, but with the salary he'd no doubt demand the question remains: Would we be hindering our ability to improve other areas of the team that have bigger holes than CB?

I'm not providing an answer to that question right now, though. I'm just pointing out that the question exists.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Our front office has shown it is willing to spend (at least on its own players). wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they could do it for a FA

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Being in Denver, I have heard from local radio that he was very upset and didn't plan to stay once McDaniels pull his contract extension off the table. But now with him gone, and Elway running the show, I have heard he and Elway have had discussions about him staying

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Personally, I don't want him getting the big named guys for the reason you mentioned. My problem is that he doesn't touch any. The last time we brought in quality starting quality Free agents, was 2004 when we brought in Goff, Foley, and Godfrey. Since then, the only significant starting caliber starter we have brought in was Burnett and he has continued to have health issues just like he had in Dallas

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Not that I don't share your base concern but you are ignoring Garay here.

25. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Because Jammer is getting older and Cason is a joke. If we can get Asomugha and nice draft pick we can really make this defense that much better. But you don't have to worry about this happening AJ doesn't like free agents so this won't be happening.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The dude was not viewed by anyone, probably not even the Chargers, as a starting caliber player. They took a flyer on him, and it worked out.

27. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    What do you mean you wouldn't want big name free agents? This whole "Build through the draft" strategy has been a failed experiment and we need AJ to utilize the free agent market a lot more this season. That is if we are going to overcome our biggest obstacle in Norv Turner.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What is hard to understand about that statement? Studies have been done that show approx 60% of top free agents, do not ever even get close to duplicating the years that made them a big name. There are 5 Albert Haynesworth's out there for every Julius Peppers.

I would rather get 2-3 of the 2nd tier guys (Like we got in 04) than only 1 top guy

29. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    That's the same philosophy that has brought us many lambordis correct? Its the stubbornness of AJ not signing big name free agents(at least take the risk once in a while) that keeps us at bay from a Super Bowl victory. Well that and Norv Turner that is.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, the philosophy we have used is to outright avoid all free agents. I ams saying go after a few good ones, just not the top ones.

Signing big named free agents didn't help New England, Washington, Oak, or Dallas win a SB in the last decade. New England won theirs with a bunch of no names. When they started signing players, they haven't won.