1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Schaub signs new deal with Texans for 6 years, 48 million

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Mar 22, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    20 million in the first three seasons and 7 million guaranteed.

That's a ridiculous amount of money for a guy that has 6TDs, 6INTs and a 52% completion rate.

The Texans are the Lions South.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah that's the answer in Houston. <please note sarcasm>

It looks like they are setting David Carr up as the scapegoat, but if this means he gets out of Houston, it may be the best thing for his career.

I like Schaub. I think the ATL would have been good to at least give him a legit shot to compete against Vick for the starting QB job in Atlanta, but that was never really gonna happen.

The problem in Houston was that Carr never got any protection. How has that changed? Schaub is going to be in the same situation. He may do a bit better than Carr at first just because he is fresh and hasn't become shell shocked yet, but if the Texans don't fix their o-line and give Schaub some protection, it's not going to matter who their QB is.

For Carr though, he'll get another shot somewhere. I still believe Carr is a quality QB. This is probably just what his career needs. Look for Carr to have a huge comeback this season or next if he ends up in a good situation on a team that has some semblance of an offensive line.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Thats what I'm thinking. Who could wind up with the most upside to the schaub trade is Carr. Having him start over on another team. Supposedly CArrs brother posts on the houston texans forum and he's been saying the raiters have been talking to Carr. Which disturbs me a bit. Carr isn't really that bad.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that's a moronic contract

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Yeah, you'd think part of the idea of getting Schaub would be that you could pay him a bit less than your typical starting QB because he's yet to be a starter. But they went out and paid him like he was an upper echelon starter.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm seriously a little concerned about the over abundance of excessive contracts this season. All these chumps signing for top dollar is going to drive up the market price on basically every position in the game. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about how the salary cap increases from year to year, but wasn't this year a substantial increase? Is that why so many 2nd tier guys are getting such ridiculous salaries?

With all these chumps signing for big money the actual ballers are gonna start squeekin' for pay raises. Hope we can keep up. :unsure:

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    They wont drive much up for long. Infact they will be cut before their contracts get too long in the tooth, or be renegotiated.

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great post Thump. :tup:

It is more than just the O-line. The Texans can't run the ball either, the passing game has no chance to succeed. Schaub is NOT an upgrade over David Carr. This will be proven in due time.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I kinda feel bad for D Carr, I too think he's a decent qb but he got a raw deal in nhouston playing behind a **** line. Schaub is gonna fare the same i fell in houston unless they find a way to fix that joke of a line.

I hope Carr doesn't go to Oakland, not because I'm afraid of him, far from it, I just like the dude and would like to see him have a chance at success.

BTW, that contract is outrageous.