1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT-What rule changes would you make?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigcarson50, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Seeing as it is the SLOW part of the year around here (matched only with the time between mini-camp and training camp), I thought it would be interesting to see what rules you guys would like changed.

Such as Mike Nolan's suggestion that PI should be in the refs discression on whether to call a 15 yard penalty (college) or a spot foul (current NFL rule).

Depending on the wording, I would like this rule change a lot.

So here are some rule changes I wouldn't mind seeing. Keep in mind, I haven't thought some of these through to their minute detail.

1. Along the same lines as PI, for holding and illegal contact away from the play, no automatic first downs. I would also include the rare hold of an O-lineman by a D-linemen as a no automatic first down.

2. Go to a 5 or 15 yard penalty for roughing the passer, much like the facemask rule. The little slaps on the helmet should not be 15 yard automatic first downs.

3. Along the same lines (and I imagine this one might be the most controversial on this list), I would allow any INT that happens on roughing call to stand with the penalty marked from the spot of the interception. I don't think a QB should get bailed out of a bad decision because of roughing. I know that it goes against the logic of the ordering of the penalty and the possession change. I don't think that this change would put the QB's at any greater risk.

4. Get rid of the end zone line extended crap. The ball should enter the endzone inside the field of play. Those dives toward out of bounds create a situation the defense is powerless to stop. The defender can't try to make a hit from out of bounds so what can they do?

5. Change overtime--The period of overtime should be at least 7:30 long OR each team gets one possession whichever takes LONGER. Here is what I mean. The overtime period will still be 15 minutes, but the first 7:30 is not sudden death. After 7:30 the overtime is first team to score ONLY AFTER each team has had one possession.

6. Last one. I think that if a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty occurs between plays after a first down has been make, it should be first and 25, not first and 10 as the rule currently is.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'd definetely solidify what is roughing the passer and make a new smaller penalty called 'running into the passer'. Think of it like roughing the kicker is one huge *** penalty BUT they have a smaller 'running into the kicker' penalty' if its much more on the mild side.

The roughing the passer penalties this year were just moronic at times and on a number of ocassions cost a team a game

3. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    The roughing the passer rules need work

Too many games in both College and Pro Football were decided by the roughing the passer rule. I like the running into the QB being a five yard penalty rule, with an excessive 15 yard rule for roughing. I'd also like to see the Pass Interference rules modified under a similar format, because you are getting 40+ yard penalties on questionable PI calls. If a guy is beaten deep and tackles a guy, make it a spot foul, otherwise, a lesser penalty should take hold. Peter King in his MMQB is talking about them moving the kickoff back to the 35 in OT to make teams go further. To be honest, I would like a blend of the collegiate and pro rules to let each team get one opportunity to score under the current rules, and then go sudden death.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I am getting tired of all those damn TV timeouts.

They play enough commercials to last a lifetime after a score, then they kickoff, then they break into another TV timeout. then they start to play.

5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I say the lingerie bowl must be played at halftime of every game, between the cheerleaders.:tup:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    6. Last one. I think that if a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty occurs between plays after a first down has been make, it should be first and 25, not first and 10 as the rule currently is.

In Baseball, anything deemed unsportsmanlike, is an ejection. And if players start getting tossed, they need to have their pay adjusted accordingly.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    althougt I don't know what could be done to fix it.

The situation where the offense has first and goal at the 2 and the defense commits a penalty it's only a 1 yard penalty (half the distance) but, if the offense commits a penalty it's the full 5,10,15 yards

seems a little one sided :icon_shrug:

I also like the "running into the QB", the "INT stands after the roughing the passer" could work since the QB already let go of the ball so the hit does not affect the trow.

Also, I like the college OT way better

One last thing, NO automatic first downs, if the penalty yardege is good enough for a first, fine, if it's not, sorry

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Anything that allows cornerbacks to actually play defense and not just run near a reciever waiting for him to catch the pass so he can tackle the reciever.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The rules over the last decade have been favoring the O. I think they should just put QBs in a pink tutu and tell everyone they have to count to 10 mississippi before rushing the passer based on the current rules...

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Too true.

Look, I don't wanna see guys taking a cheap swipe at Philip, but Jesus Christ, QB's are football players too. Let them get their skulls pounded in just like everyone else. And for Godssakes, take the handcuffs of the DB. Jammer would be all pro if it wasn't for the current O loving coverage rules.

I was watching a show the other day on NFLN about one of the Cowboy teams (those Superbowl champion shows, this one was about when they signed Deion). Deion is considered on of the best db's in league history, and he was raping wr's all the way down the field.

11. daysofcoleco

daysofcoleco BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    And call it the Eli rule.

I think the Feet First QB Slide rule should be scrapped now that they have the Toss the Ball in the Stands if You are Outside the Pocket rule.

12. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    Cheerleaders (women) are not allowed to cover more then 5 % of thier body with clothing, if the weather is bad they are allowed to wear a scarf and gloves.

13. daysofcoleco

daysofcoleco BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    does the scarf and gloves count towards the 5%???

14. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    no, that was only for cold weather, and there are weight restrictions thus keeping the 5% coverage to a minimal amount. :yes:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :tup:
    Do they get put on the superbowl squad if they pop their pasties in the cold?!:icon_eek:

16. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    no, the super bowl squad is selected by Pacman Jones, he knows who all the good strippers are, he can assemble them, make the dollars 'rain' on them , who ever gets the most money wins. :) then again jones would come up with most the cash after beating the girls up. :lol:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would make a rule that offensive pass interfearance was a loss of down penalty.

18. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    This is minor, but I like the college rule where the defense can score 2 points on the extra point attempt if it returns a fumble/interception all the back.

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welcome to the forum!

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Id let the CB's back in the game and take the skirts off the QB's.

Get rid of the tuck rule and arm going forward.

Forcing a fumble is forcing a fumble and stoping the offense is what defense is all about.

21. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I thought of another rule. Get rid of the pushout, it is too subjective. I don't care if you have to get two feet in or one foot in like college, but give the defenders the ability to push a guy out of bounds. Sure it might hurt the offenses a little bit, but I think that sacrifice is worth taking as much subjectivity away from the officials as much as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I'd get rid of the 5-yard chuck area. Make receivers play football all the way down the field. I think 90% of the reason we've seen such inflated numbers from receivers and the rise of the primadonna wideout is that CB's can't touch 'em without risking a flag. Obviously holding and PI should still be penalties, but this whole thing of penalizing a CB for some bumping 7 yards downfield just makes me want to put receivers in skirts and pink slippers....

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Yep, like i said...let the CB's back in the game.