1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Other teams with less than 50% fan attendance

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by House of Hayne, Jan 4, 2015.

1. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    just found out from a Cowboys season ticket holder
    That 2 games this year they had more opposing fans than home fans
    The 49er game
    And the Texans game
    I thought we were the only ones

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    In our case, I really think that lovely San Diego weather genuinely is a factor.

In the case of Dallas, I think that the stadium itself is a draw...
    I hate the Cowboys, but I'm going to go to that stadium at some point, and check it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Insert Transplant city excuse. You're right about Dallas though in of itself wouldnt be a bad problem to have.

• Old Old x 1
  4. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Opposing fans just tend to be louder. I'd guess that neither of those Dallas games had more than 25% actual road fans, although that might have been a plurality if you consider "Don't care, just here for the sweet corporate seats" to be a separate category.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    San Diego weather and the large population of military.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Calling it an excuse doesn't make it not true.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't recall the 70's and 80's having this problem and Dego was more of a transient city back then, than it is now.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Football tickets also didn't cost half as much back then as they do now, even if you adjust for inflation.

And there wasn't things like Stubhub and ticketmaster making it much easier for people in other states to buy tickets before a local fan can.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Unprecedented interest rates and much lower pay scales didn't make things any easier. All these ticket/booking agencies and the new high speed computer systems were supposed to reduce cost. I haven't seen any prices really go down yet.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Yeah, it's all very frustrating. But that's kind of the point.

If the ticket price is higher it makes fans think more about buying a ticket.

And think about it...if you're planning a trip to somewhere you're already footing a large bill, so the football ticket is only a trivial matter relative to the entire package. And it's something you're planning ahead of time.

Meanwhile, Joe Schmo fan already in the city is either just going to go to the game or not go to the game. The ticket price is the key decision factor.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Old Joe's blood, sweat, back and money is how the NFL grew into the wonderful organization it is today.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    That may be true but it's still where it is today and old Joe isn't capable of stopping the juggernaught now that they can get money from TV deals, merchandising, and Old Joe from another state rooting for the other team.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The attendance problem will still be a issue whether we have a new stadium or not. Doesn't help that Kroenke is gonna build a stadium up in L.A either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    If no new stadium is built in L.A., the attendance issues will remain. The only way to fill those seats (old stadium or new one) is to bring a winning team into the mix. Winning (And by this I mean a championship-caliber team) changes everything.

15. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    No one will be playing in LA anywhere other than a new stadium.

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    I guess the real question is this:

What makes a team a championship type of team? Money? Quality of talented players? Big and loyal fan base? A state of the art stadium? A ring/or lack of a ring? All of the above? None of the above?

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Ticket prices--adjusted for inflation--were lower back then...

but there were also only 52,596 seats for football... (even less in baseball configuration)

ETA: Wikipedia says 70,561 in 2014...

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    I just don't understand why we can't remodel the Q. It's not like there is a winter in San Diego where snow and wind effect construction. It's nice all year around, you have 6+ months to tear out stands, old seats, make cosmetic changes, new scoreboards, etc.

Green Bay has done it.. In Green Bay. Miami is currently remodeling their stadium as well. It would draw more fans to check out the remodeled Q.

Sadly, think the Spanos just want a new stadium. Whether it's here in SD or LA.. Unfortunately.

19. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    The sad part was we had a plan for a new stadium at the q site but it was shot down by the city because they wouldn't foot the bill to redo the off ramp
    But the entire thing was paid for but the civic improvements
    Our city sucks
    Not holding my breath when the vote comes in 2016
    Sad but true
    It hurts
    We need a Super Bowl win to get it

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    It seems funny that the only time I saw the stadium filled to the brim with Chargers fans (70,000+) was the day we beat Pitt for the AFC Championship on our way to a Super Bowl date.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Being that I was still a pup and minimum wage in CA around 74 was only about 2.00/Hr, folks that worked part time or in dead end jobs had a rough time making admission to a Chargers game. My bacon was saved since I was able to attend and complete school by Christmas of 75, still had to enter the work force starting at the lower rugs on the ladder of life.

I'm not disputing that it was less expensive to attend a football game but so was milk and bread, folks were still using that two bucks an hour to survive and trying to save in such high inflationary times in excess of 20%. I was merely pointing out that Old Joe, the backbone from which the NFL grew was being left behind at a faster pace than his wages grew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I don't know if the game was sold out or not, but I think I can count on one hand how many Jets fans I saw at the game I was at earlier this year.

I'm pretty sure that was the least amount of opposing fans I'd ever seen at a game I've been to.

Maybe I missed em all though.

23. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    The jags game was less fans than the jets

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The current state of the Murph and the surrounding parking lot doesn't make fiscal sense to remodel. Tearing it down and building a new venue is also a challenge due to the toxic waste left behind from those awful tanks in a far corner of the property. A new stadium once every 50 years isn't an unrealistic desire. Not to mention, regionally we need the upgrade as well, this goes beyond football. If you think a facelift is enough to make the current venue usable you obviously haven't spent much time there... and what we the fans see is NOTHING compared to how bad it is below and inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Just fyi, the Q was leaking on our heads after the rains the week b4 the Broncos game. 3 days later.

Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Listening to the f##cking Broncos fans boo throughout the playoff game today made me happy about our fans here. We might have a diverse crowd in our stadium, but generally we don't act like a bunch of self-entitled hicks.

• Like Like x 3
  27. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +182
    Scrap the Q.... Play 2 yr @rose bowl

Built a brand new stadium @ Q location...

my 2 cents

28. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    The ground is so poluted they can't rebuild without major help and a few years of recovery before they can rebuild

29. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    I guess that means our tailgate spot is polluted as well. Then again, I've seen plenty of tailgating friends get polluted at our tailgate spot...

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We aren't Jet, Raider, Bronco, Patriot fans to start with ergo we are already 50% less of a dick than their fans could ever be