1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ouch!..... Whizzer dissed by Leinart

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Matt Leinart: Warner, not Whisenhunt, got us to a Super Bowl
    Posted by Michael David Smith on January 15, 2014, 10:27 AM EST

Matt Leinart played for Ken Whisenhunt for three seasons in Arizona. Leinart was not impressed with his coach.

Asked on FOX Sports Live whether Whisenhunt will succeed in Tennessee, Leinart expressed skepticism, saying that Whisenhunt is wrongly credited for getting the 2008 Cardinals to the Super Bowl. According to Leinart, it was Kurt Warner who ran the offense that season, not only on the field but in meetings, where Leinart says Warner devised the game plans and Whisenhunt did nothing more than go along for the ride.

I don’t think it’s a great fit, and I don’t think it’s great timing, and here’s why,” Leinart said of the Titans hiring Whisenhunt. “You look at his tenure in Arizona — only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team — I was a part of it. Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in and implement 20 to 30 new plays which he would say ‘I want these in my game plan.’ We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner’s offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8.”

For his part, Warner said on NFL Network that he thinks Whisenhunt will do a great job with the Titans. Warner added, however, that he thought the Lions — who also wanted Whisenhunt — would have been a better choice for what Whisenhunt brings to the table.

“I’m excited for my old coach Ken Whisenhunt and the job down in Tennessee,” Warner said. “I think I’m a little bit surprised like my most people; you felt like a better fit might be in Detroit just because of the pieces that he had, specifically the quarterback he had there.”

Leinart said he doesn’t think the Titans will succeed with Whisenhunt because Jake Locker isn’t the answer at quarterback. Asked directly if he likes Whisenhunt, Leinart laughed incredulously and answered, “Do I like Whisenhunt?”

I’d take that as a no.

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    I assume Wizz will not ask Leinart to be his QB coach? :confused:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    What has Leinart done recently? That would be NOTHING.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I always find that response amusing. Whether the guy was a good player or not, has nothing to do with whether his comments were accurate or not.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    It does if you're a 1st round pick QB that didn't put enough work in to make it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    LOL.... no, it doesn't. Being a bad player has nothing to do with whether his story is accurate or not.

People said the same thing when Kevin O'Connell came out with his criticism of the Jets locker room. Being a good player, or not, has nothing to do with one's truthfulness.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    If you're looked upon as not doing what it takes to become your team's #1 QB, your words have no credibility.

You might want to look that up. Hell I'll use it in a sentence for you.

Matt Leinart has no credibility to make such remarks about Ken Whisenhunt.

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    With the QB murderers' row of guys like Derek Anderson, John Beck, John Skelton and oh yes, Matt Leinart that followed Warner it's frankly a wonder the Cards managed to win 5 games total in three seasons.

And I'll bet Leinart's agent's phone is ringing off the hook these days. :rolleyes:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    But Leinart's unsuccessful tenure in Arizona and his personal relationship with Whiz might have something to do with him bashing Whiz. It's not like Leinart is some kind of objective source.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Bullshit. Were you in those team meetings? No?....... then you have no way of knowing.

Sorry, but until someone else (in the know) comes out, and directly contradicts what Leinart said, you have no real basis for questioning his story.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I look at it the other way. If Whiz was so bad, you'd have heard about this from more than just one former player. If Leinart is the only one saying this, then chances are it's just sour grapes. Unless someone comes out and corroborates Leinart's story, then you have no reason to believe it.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I would more ask what is his motivation for making up a story about Whisenhunt that another player could easily shoot down. If it's bullshit, wouldn't one of his former teammates say so?

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Why u mad bro?

Amazing how you'll take the word of a washed up QB that was known to dog it his entire lame career. And who would it take for you NOT believe Leinart? Other players? Someone on the coaching staff? The janitor who cleaned up after them?

Leinart = no credibility.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    The thing that I am curious about is that if Leinart's story is bullshit, why didn't Warner dispute it in his comments?

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I'm not mad, I just find it laughable that your opinion of Leinart means anything. If you know someone who was with the Cardinals (who can dispute the story), then fine. Otherwise, your opinion of Leinart is meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I wouldn't go as far as to say he has "no credibility." The fact of the matter is that Leinart has been in that locker room and sat in on the meetings, whereas none of us have not. This by itself gives him some semblance of being a reliable source.

Now, whether or not he's pushing his own agenda here... that we can speculate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Rice did the same thing to poor old Norv.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Leinart's career basically flamed out under Whiz. So it's entirely possible that he had some ill feelings there. Kurt Warner had nothing but good things to say about the Whiz hire. So who to believe?

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    If Leinart is correct, then Warner got to do exactly as he pleased........ why wouldn't he like the Whizzer? I've yet to see where Warner has disputed Leinart's claims.

21. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    haha are you serious?
    People who are lazy are also liars .... solid point

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Not to diverge too much from the Cardinals angle, but Whisenhunt is also credited for developing Big Ben. But, when you look at his first two years under Whisenhunt, you see a guy who frankly was wearing training wheels. That Steelers team won a Super Bowl despite Ben's play, not because of him. He never got close to 3,000 yards passing in either of those two seasons. They were a running team, and Ben was "managed" to keep him from making mistakes (less then 300 attempts). I guess that's one way to develop a QB, but you can hardly say that Ben had breakout years under Whisenhunt. Ben's stats post Whisenhunt are much more impressive.

I'm sure Whisenhunt has some good qualities, but I don't see where he's really a guy who develops QBs. Warner was already a veteran QB when he went to Arizona. The other QBs after him did not pan out. If Titans fans are looking for an instant turnaround, they may be disappointed.