1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our biggest advantage over the other AFCW teams...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Rivers comes to mind for most people....but that's too obvious...and while QB is easily the most important position on the field, IMO our depth is the biggest difference in why the Chargers are a 13-3 perennial playoff contender....and the other 3 teams have a ceiling of 8-8.

Look at the changes made with the other teams....They are drafting almost exclusively for starters. The Chargers already have capable starters....even with their holdouts...so they draft guys in to compete. None of our rooks are guaranteed a job (even Mathews...although he is expected to have a big impact). We can plug guys in who can play across the board.

The cupboards are pretty bare after the starting units for the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders....the moves they make are pretty cosmetic...If a key starter goes down at any position they are F'd. We've had more big injuries than anyone the past 4 years and have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs in every one of those years.

I think we had another great draft that will further deepen this team and may actually produce 2-3 starting caliber players on defense...The difference is we won't be relying on those guys to be THE playmaker at any position...They are rotated with our existing guys.

I keep reading about how the Raiders in particular have closed the gap on us. Really? Because they got Jason Campbell and Marcus Stroud and finally had a sensible 1st round pick? All of those guys are starters...and Campbell will help....but what happens when people start going down or need a breather. It won't be pretty.

Good luck "closing the gap". Our talent was supposedly on the decline last year and we were 13-3 with no contribution from Shawn Merriman, LT completely done, and Big Jamal out for the year.

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The only place we lack real depth is the O Line. With MM out, Dombrowski moves in as an unknown quantity at Left Tackle. If any one of our starting linemen goes down, we start scrambling. Tra Thomas most likely will back up at LT, but we don't know for sure how he will perform-notwithstanding that I think has still has some gas in the tank. We are in good shape everywhere else. If we were to trade Merriman, I would be looking for a very serviceable lineman.