1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Defense Isn't the Problem

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 25, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    So far this year we have been behind in the first half for almost every game, and surprisingly our defense isn't to blame. It's our offense. We do have a great offense but c'mon, they've practically invented new ways to turn the ball over for every game. It may be misfortune or it may be play calling, but no matter the cause we still have the problem.
    Our defense has kept us in games all throughout this year. We could've been down by 30+ points in the 1st half of the patriots game easily. Our defense time and time again has stepped up when we needed it to and played consistently well. A perfect example was the 4th and 1 this last game when they stopped Green-Ellis for a 2 yard loss. I was so pumped and the team was too but a foolish false start decreased the likelihood of making the FG and we missed it.
    On the offensive side of the ball, it's either a train wreck or a thing of beauty. The problem is we keep digging ourselves into big holes early from mistakes and even the best offense in the NFL (ours) can't dig us out of those holes. IMO, it begins with the play calling. It has been horrendous to start games and that is why we can't establish the run. We can't get going early and we always fall behind due to mistakes, forcing us to pass. When we established the lead in the first half against Jacksonville, it opened up the run game. That game we had around 180 rush yards (I think). Teams that run more win games, but we keep making foolish mistakes that get us losing and force us to pass. I don't think we've ever run on 1st down and then on 2nd down right after, and that is just foolish play calling.
    Guys, we aren't far from being a championship team. We may have to wait this year out to see if we make the playoffs and if we do miraculously, let's just hope that we establish the run and that we dont make mistakes.
    Even if we scrub it this year, part of being a fan is living through all the good and bad times of your team and still supporting them. That being said, Chargers til I die!!

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Norv's playcalling is stifling the offense along with the stupid turnovers. We are missing our top playmakers on the outside so we don't simplify and go to a power run game. Nope. Keep chucking it down the field to a bunch of rookies who don't know how to hang on to the ball. Only bright spot on the receiving crew was Crayton. Even Gates wasn't that involved until the last quarter. The special teams are still anything but special. D has been solid.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the D wasnt solid in Oakland, they had them pinned almost the whole game then when it came to crunch time, we folded and let tme drive the field.

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    D and O have both been great with regular tinges of the awful! No Consistency at all! Passing yards have been consistently high...but that means nothing at the end of the day

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't know why threads like this are still popping up, we are a rebuilding team what's the problem? (lol)