1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our line could be in trouble next year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Dec 28, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Dont worry! AJ will fill it all in, in free agency!

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :roflmao:

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    In AJ we trust.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    :cautious: :confused: :rolleyes: :p :D :roflmao:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Well Aj did bring in Colin Baxter to prepare in case Hardwick would leave SD

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Anyone else read that article and get the feeling that this is just Acee trying to make himself look relevant and important to the UT - after seeing the writing on the wall that his ticket to being "the guy" in terms of Chargers beat reporters could be in jeopardy if AJ get the boot, since he is AJ's special little media buddy?

Read the quotes from Nick, very few of them actually suggest a strong consideration of retirement; all but perhaps one of them are Acee speculating on a whim and spinning out of control in doing so, off of comments that otherwise are pretty normal and innocuous. This could be a ploy to try and coax a fatter contract out of the team, but I doubt it. Though, I'll say this much... if he does retire it makes what to do with our Top 15-20 pick a whole lot easier: There's a heck of a lot more value in taking a Top 20 center than there is in taking a Top 20 RT or an LB without a ton of upside. And the top center in the draft (and a bloody good one at that with a great program pedigree) should be declaring shortly following next Monday's Rose Bowl in Peter Konz (yes, he's coming off an injury but Wisconsin isn't going to be the big time NC challenger they were this year because they won't have Russell Wilson and their QB depth behind him isn't great).

At this point I'd say McNeill may be the most likely the retire (the stenosis simply isn't something that goes away, he was born with it and it's starting to have effects on his body with great frequency now). Dielman's kind of a crapshoot; he's a tough SOB, but it really is going to depend on how much he got rattled and whether further examination determines the seizure was a result of second impact syndrome (I think that's what it's called). If it was just one isolated incident, I like his chances of at least making the effort to try and come back. If it's SIS, that's where things start getting really iffy.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Give Baxter a full off-season and camp with a competent OL coach and a good strength and conditioning coach/regimen and he could well be ready to start assuming his body holds up. His technique was sound when he was at Arizona - particularly his handwork - it was just glaring obvious in the preseason that he was struggling with competing with "pro strength".

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If I recall correctly a Nick Hardwick who walked into the starting center job for the Chargers as an undersized rookie (295lbs) and had some issues with pro strength as well. I'll note that Hardwick handled things better with his experience as a wrestler & i'll also note that i'm not comparing Hardwick and Baxter in that line. Just thought I'd note that first year centers can have some trouble adjusting from college to pro

I'm feeling a little more confident (not much) in Gaither if McNeil splits. BUT that still means LG/RG/C need to be upgraded immediately and that doesn't include someone FINALLY getting rid of Clary

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'll note that Hardwick gets his *** kicked by big DLmen. If Baxter is a Hardwick knockoff, no thanks. Also, from what I've seen, the guy has a ways to go. Seems like we expect all the low round/udfa ol guys to stick. Course, Hardwick was a third rounder...

Anyway, I'd bet Hardwick and Dielman come back (assuming we re-sign Hardwick). Gaither stays. And we can finally go get that RT ;)

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Sounds like he's setting up negotiations to me.

I'll be surprised if Dielman hangs em up, to say nothing of Hardwick. These guys love the game, they won't quit.

McNeill otoh is facing a higher % chance of permanent spinal damage, so I could see his friends and family leaning on him to call it a day.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Unfortunantly that much turn around won't make it an easy decision for the brass to dump Clary.

And unfortunantly we won too many meaningless games to be in the Reiff, Martin, Kalil range in the draft without trading up.

And unfortunantly we could still lose Vincent Jackson and/or Antonio Gary, both of whome will be looking to cash in.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    For the billionth time, BEEF!!!!!!!

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That is why he has been waxing poetically about young Spanos all season. If AJ does go he will just switch partners.

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Tyronne Green will be the center in SD (if not in 2012) real soon.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think so. Baxter if it's anyone currently on the team.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Why is our line in trouble? Ohh yeah, we didn't draft BEEF. Real BEEF, not this Canadian Community College BEEF.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It's either going to be Baxter or Mrzucowski. I think we actually might be in ok shape if all three leave. Baxter/Mrzucowski could compete for the center job, we could keep Green at LG since he's played well and Gaither has done a fine job since joining. Gaither-Green-Baxter/Mrzucowski could be tolerable enough to finally get rid of Vasquez and Clary on the right side. Either way we definitely need an influx of young OL beef in the draft and FA.

The good news is that this will be an outstanding FA class for guards especially: http://footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/ol.html
    Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks and Vernon Carey are great players that would help us immeasurably.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Vasquez will be fine w/o Clary. They show no confidence in each other but I believe Vasquez has the tools to be a good RG.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sold on Vasquez. I have also heard that some of the other players on the OL dont like Vasquez because he gets lazy and blocks his player into other players while they are engaged with a rusher leading to lower leg, ankle and foot injuries.

That said, I had high hopes for Clary, because at times he is a real solid lineman. This season though he blew chunks.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Agreed about Vasquez, really haven't seen anything from him in individual matchups with DL or LBs to suggest he really could be anything worthwhile. Clary has been an abject disaster this year, which any of us could have told AJ last year. Both need to be replaced

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hey, no fair!!!........... Gaither already has the nickname "Big Lazy".

Let Vasquez earn his own nickname for cryin' out loud! :mad:

23. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

So it's Official ? After 3 underwhelming seasons we can forget this nickname then.

[​IMG]

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think a simple show of hands should be enough to pass that resolution. ;)

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Wait! Is that Clary in that photo too? The Revolver? He is on Vasquez's right...

26. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Nah, if it was "Jumpy", he'd be holding a pop-gun that dropped out a "false start" messege on it.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I still say Green can be the center. Baxter is a backup at best. If Dielman were to miraculously come back and 61 retires Green beats out Mooch (which could be the end of Mooch). I agree I am not sold on 65 and as for 66 I think we all concur on that one.