1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Linebackers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Moses, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Curious to see what people think of our main LBs.

Was reading earlier that Melvin Ingram's 9.5 sacks are tied for 11th in the NFL and third among outside linebackers. Maybe that weight loss in the offseason has helped him become more explosive, and he has 62 total tackles to his name also.

I think most people like Denzel Perryman, he's emerged as a good value pick, I think him and Te'o are actually quite a good pairing, think they go together well and Te'o has improved with Denzel as opposed to Butler. 74 tackles (second only to Weddle) and an INT for Manti, not too bad, although it probably could be more if his tackling was a bit better. Denzel has already has 67 total tackles, actually leads the team with 58 solo tackles, and has a couple of sacks.

I kinda like Attaochou too, he has 53 tackles and 6 sacks, which is good progress from last season, and he is still only 22 years old.

The above 4 seem like they could actually become a decent group in time if they continue to develop.

The other guy worth mentioning is Butler, who was last seen on February 28th, 2014 on twitter when he announced his new multi-year deal with the team.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Ingram has developed into a good pass rusher. I am not sure that his weight loss has helped as much as his development of more moves, including the patented Freeney spin move that he has added this year. The expansion of his repertoire has improved the effectiveness of all of his moves (even if his other moves are not really any better than they already were) because defenders can't cheat as much against a more limited bag of pass rushing tricks.

Attaochu has demonstrated solid progress and I have always viewed him as having higher ceiling than Ingram. He should be fine going forward.

Perryman is already our best ILB by a mile. He is our only good ILB and he is already above average as an NFL ILB. I am interested in seeing how much better he will get for us.

Te'o is not good. He is a slightly below average NFL ILB. He is subject to being upgraded, but probably will not be due to the lack of vision of the front office.

Te'o is not a good pairing with Perryman as Perryman's chief weakness is his lack of elite speed for the position. Te'o is even slower than Perryman, which is actually a bad pairing. And you have already noted Te'o's ongoing tackling problems, a horrible trait for an ILB to have, which more than offsets his good natural instincts for the ball.

That is why I am curious as to what Jaylon Smith's measurables are going to be at the combine. If he runs in the 4.5s and otherwise has a game with no obvious weaknesses, then he would be a perfect fit with Perryman as his plus speed would help cover for any speed deficiency from which Perryman might suffer (and Perryman does at least have almost average speed for an ILB). With Smith, we would have 4 young studs at the starting LB position.

But again, that would require actual vision on the part of our team's front office, a front office that seems to always fall into the trap of acting like "okay" is good enough as opposed to always looking for what can be done to make the team better at every position.

Butler is done. He started off slowly and actually got worse as the season progressed. Not once in the last two seasons have we even seen a glimpse of the #56 player that suited up for us in 2013. That player is long gone.

We lack quality depth at OLB as Emanuel is a decent reserve, but is mostly just a guy. Law and Tourek Williams are the kinds of players that bad teams have on their roster but good teams do not.

The same can be said about the ILB position where Te'o and Conner are solid reserve caliber players, Dzubnar is the kind of player that only makes a bad team, but not a good one, and Butler needs to be gone.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken
    Chargers LB Denzel Perryman docked $23,152 on NFL fine. "I'm not going to stop the way I tackle. Keep them coming." http://bit.ly/1OlsZZf

I'm a huge fan of this kid. Wasn't ecstatic at first about drafting a thumper ILB in the 2nd round, but he's clearly one of TT's best draft picks so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Perryman could be the next Defensive captain of the Bolts, he has a fire burning!

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I've loved what I've seen of DP :eek: (oh, crap...that's uncomfortable...think I'll spell "Perryman" out, now)...

though it's a sad commentary on Charger depth,
    that such a thing could be plausible of a 2nd round kid with 8 NFL starts...

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Perryman plays with intensity, a lot like Addae, not afraid to hit someone. And he likes to make sure that his tackle sticks.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    They are a good cast. Mike Nolan has been a good hire.

8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I agree with that, but would add that Perryman is a much better tackler than Addae. He plays with intensity and is a hard hitter, but he also plays under much more control and uses better tackling technique in terms of wrapping up the ball carrier than Addae does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Agree, if Addae could learn how to tackle/wrap up instead of launching his whole self at people hoping he knocks them down he could actually be serviceable.

Perryman is a stud plain and simple, and will be even better when he has a pass covering ILB alongside.

10. ZapCannon

ZapCannon Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    im still looking for footage of Perryman