1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Our needs this offseason

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by szarmes, Jan 28, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    For starters, we will need a playmaker to replace LT so I'm going to go with a RB in round 1 (possible ryan mathews or jonathan dwyer, preferably mathews). Our offensive line is getting a little short handed so i'm going to go with OT in round 2. Since we have jamal and we are getting bingham and nwagbuo back, i think we can hold off on D-line and we will need a linebacker in round 3. Round 4 should be a defensive lineman. That is just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I maintain that defensive line (preferably nose tackle) and offensive line are the top two priorities. That's not to suggest we don't need a running back, and frankly depending on who's available these can be filled in any order, but you win up front and, especially the defensive line, they need more talent.

Figure out what you wanna do with Vaughn Martin; if he's a nose tackle of the future then find another DE. If he's a defensive end grab another nose tackle.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Definitely we need DL and OL first off and then either an RB or WR later on. The reason for a WR is due to possibly the loss of VJ or M80 to include KO to free agency.

LB's a possibility in the later rounds of the Draft.

A CB and or Safety maybe but I think we are good right now.

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I woud love to see us draft:
    1. Jahvid Best, RB Cal
    2. Myron Rolle, SS Florida State
    3. Terrance Cody, NT Alabama (he'll drop to us there) :yes:
    4. Legarrette Blount, RB Oregon

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no
    no
    fat ***
    maybe

beef beef and more beef

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I agree, the o-line and d-line do need improvement and i guess we can hold off on RB because we do have the greatest. If we get a good run blocker and a good run stuffer and we should be fine. Lagarette Blount will probably be available around round 3 or 4 so he might be a good option. I just hope to God sproles stays

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    LT was the greatest. In terms of RB efficiency he didn't even warrent a starting RB position this year, he was ranked in the mid 30's.

The problem here is the best part of our game (offense) is one dimentional, and therefore containable. If our running game gets better it can directly improve our passing game making us almost impossible to stop. All your doing by waiting past RD 2 is hoping to land a diamond in the rough, or at least a stopgap rookie, and basically putting this problem off until next year where we'll probably have to spend more picks on RB's.

I believe if you get a chance you go for the special player, go for the guy who could be our future for the next 10yrs rather than the momentary space filler. That said the only RB I'd reach for is CJ Spiller. I'd be fine with taking Dan Williams or a top OT at 28, and trading up to land Mathews in RD 2......just don't wait too long.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I see what you are saying and now that i think about it, RB is our biggest concern. i think Mathews should be taken in the first round if Spiller isnt available (most likely) as long as he performs well at the combine. He only had 1 game this year under 100 yards and he rushed for 1800 yards in only 12 games!!! He has great vision and can beat you inside or outside. If he had another 4 games like in the NFL he'd have more yards than CJ2K (Chris Johnson) but we never know because that was at a college level. Still yet, LT can help to develop him into a greater player and into a franchise star.. But our defense also needs improvement so hopefully we can solidify that by round 3 or 4 with 2 defensive players.

Ive been hearing that merriman wants to leave but he hasnt been that productive since his injury anyway so we should trade him for a draft pick or two if we can. That way we can get fresh muscle to add to our linebackers or d-line.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Watching the senior bowl right now....LeGarrett Blount is averaging almost 7ypc, the first man to hit him has NO CHANCE. He's not only powerfull but he's quick, I love this guys game.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    He has the potential to be the ultimate story of redemption...I think he displayed poor sportsmanship, but in the heat of the moment, a meltdown is at the very least explainable.

The Bolts and Blount should seek this redemption together :tup:.

11. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Blount is great and he's the type of guy that would excel in the NFL but I still think Ryan Mathews would be a better option. Either way, we need a RB !!

12. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    My hope is a 2nd round pick for Cro and give ourselves a chance of picking up Matthews. I think taking him with the 1st is a little bit of a reach.

I'd love Dan Wiiliams to drop to 28, but can't see it.

13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    I agree whole-heartedly with your post! Games are won in the trenches!

I believe we do need a new injection of talent on the Offence and defensive lines and as you said, it will depend on where we see Vaughn Martin playing...

I am concerned that if LT is let go, AJ will feel pressured into replacing him with another high draft prospect...espically since I am not sold on Sproles still being here next year.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    People may disagree but IMO I believe we deserve a 1st for Cro. He was drafted in the 1st round and had a top year last year...hes gotta be worth more than second!

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    IMO Cj Spiller & Javid Best are intriguing prospects but only Best will probably fall to us at 28th and he is probably not the kind of back that fits into Norvs offence...

...I see Jonathan Dwyer as the best fit of all the running backs

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I think Best fits well, but his durability and size is a MAJOR concern. He's had wrist and knee surgery, along with a major concussion that ended his season.

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    IMO we need Ryan Mathews

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    question for the cj spiller lovers

with his small size and lack of weight, could he really handle full time running back duties? I say this out of alot of ignorance about him, but numbers wise he seems to be alot like Felix Jones more then Chris Johnson

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    What I like about Spiller is that he runs with that chip on his shoulder attitude. According to the scouting reports I've read he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his toughness and willingness to lower his shoulder and fight for those last yards. This is completely the opposite of CJ who was accused of being "soft", that he shyed away from contact. Coincedentally its those attributes that makes him more than just a gold toothed track star.

Quote from ESPN insider, CJ Spiller scouting report....
    Quote from CBS draft profile CJ Spiller..

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I just still wonder with his size about an NFL style abuse he'll take running the ball as much. Probably bias against smaller size though I'd like a running back to be minimum 200lbs

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I agree, and it's probably why guys like MJD and Ray Rice fell to the 2nd round. I think scouts are slowly learning their lesson and that's why Spiller is more hyped.

22. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Seattle has their eyes on Spiller and there is no chance we will get him unless we trade up, possibly trade cro and merriman and a pick but that is not going to happen. Spiller is way out of our reach but there are others that will work with our system. Whoever we get, LT will develop him so no worries. It will all work out

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I highly doubt Seattle drafts CJ Spiller, my reasons...

1) They need to replace Walter Jones
    2) They need to work on replacing Matt Hasselbeck.
    3) Their pass rush is terrible, 28th in sacks.
    4) Their secondary is worse, 30th against the pass.
    5) Justin Forsett looks like their RB for the future, and he is 5'8 190lbs himself. Not what you're looking for in a 1-2 punch.

They have too many problems and RB isn't even in the top 5. Pete Carroll will have his eye on Bradford or Clausen, and should have his other eye focused on protecting his new QB of the future.

24. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Well if Seattle doesn't grab him, there are still numerous teams before us that might such as Buffalo, Atlanta, Houston, New England, Green Bay.... BUT if he's still around for us, then it would be a sign from God that he will be LTs successor

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Atlanta - No, not with MT, Snelling, and Norwood there.
    Buffalo - Doubtfull. They have a lot of huge problems including QB, both OTs, LB, DE, and WR. Drafting a RB would be silly when they have Jackson and Lynch still on the roster.
    New England - Maybe, I would consider it if I was Bellichick....but again they desperately need a pass rush after trading Seymour, their secondary is terrible....RB is probably in their top 5 needs.
    Green Bay - Very possilbe, their O-line was woefully bad this year, but Spiller would be a nice fit in their scheme and a good compliment to Grant.

It will definitly take some luck for us to land this guy, but I'd like to see AJ find a way to aquire another 1st rounder by dealing Merriman.

26. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    The Packers need new secondary too because woodson and bigby are getting older. But who knows what will happen? All we can say for sure is that we need to get Merriman out of San Diego. He isn't the same as he was before his injury and trading him would be wonderful. These next few years will belong to Larry English! I'm all for taking chances... Once our running game is set, we should probably focus on defense. 3 defensive positions that we need to fill are DE/DT, OLB, and CB (cro is a wimp)..

27. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    For the first time in a long time I think we an upgrade at almost every position. so i'm down with drafting the best available player. I think that's when AJ does his best. The better our team got the less stellar AJ looked, because he was drafting by need and trading up to get guys like weddle etc.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Seattle has 2 1st round picks.

Carroll knows he needs to replace Walter Jones. Pick 1 goes to an OT.

He also knows that they haven't had a good running game in quite some time & realizes what a weapon like spiller can bring. Pick 2.

I don't think that he'll consider that there is a franchise QB worthy of a 1st round pick right now. If someone like McCoy drops to their pick in the 2nd, he could pull the trigger. Or maybe even the kid from WVA, Jarrett Brown, to be an understudy for a year or two.

Carroll is a pretty arrogant guy. He's going to want to structure Seattle his way.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Like I said though, they were 30th in total defense. Don't be shocked if they go with Joe Haden, Derrick Morgan, Rolando McClain, Carlos Dunlap, or even Everson Griffen who Carroll coached at USC. I expect them to go OT and defense in the first round, with the possibility of QB if Bradford falls to 6.

I'm shocked that people even consider Seattle a likely place for Spiller to land, they have so many needs and RB shouldn't even be in their top 5 with Forsett emerging.

30. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Let's see what happens with Sproles first. If he stays, we should sign Dwyer or Mathews in rd 1. If he leaves, we should sign Best in rd 1 and Blount later on... I really think Dywer is good but if Mathews performs well at the combine, we should take him. Mathews rushed for 1800 yards in 12 games only. He is a beast! But Dywer is a very complete back who is bigger but played in a weird offense. Who ever performs better at the combine is who we should pull the trigger on...