1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our next safety......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Dec 14, 2007.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I have been touting this guy for about a month now, he is a stud we need to get him and have either Jammer or him move to Safety! Brandon Flowers is his name and should be our first pick in the draft...Take a look!

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    isnt the guy like 190lbs?

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    People still are calling for Jammer to move to safety??? :lol:

4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    LOL...I think Jammer would make a great Safety...I also think he is one helluva CB... It drives me crazy when people play the Jammer blame game...He, IMO is a very aggresive cover corner...He is a great tackler and is one of the uglier players in football...

TBF

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree, Jammer would be a great saftey.

I'm on board with this Brandon Flowers guy, but he's more of a corner than a safety.

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Yeah he is more of a corner but he is a hitter and lays the wood, dont think a transition to safety would be all that hard for him!
    Did you watch that video Matilack?

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm all for it actually. He'd make a great safety imo. Since he can play CB too makes him even more valuable. Put Weddle and Jammer at safety and Cro and Oliver as Corner. Or draft that stud Flowers.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Jammer and Cro at the corners no question. But we need a big body next to Weddle. Can't have two small safeties I think.

I think picking up Ken Hamlin from Dallas in FA might be a good choice. Mr. Jones will probably re-sign him but he would be a great pickup I think if you could manage it.

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Jamie Silva, Boston College

10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Come on Ron I thought that after I called Cromartie months before the draft you would be on board with this one? lol!

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Quintin Demps

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As a VT fan, I've been watching Flowers since he started college. The guy is a stud CB & I wouldn't move him from that position. Would love to see him in SD. Haven't really heard any rumors yet if he's coming out of school early or not. With our draft pick situation, I don't know that we could get him. I'm still touting BEEF for the 1st round this year.

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I know he filed for his early advisory evaluation! Which means he is probably coming out!

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, just saw where he & Harris both filed.

Brandon would be quite a pickup - could see him moving Jammer to safety sooner than later. If we go best available with our first pick, he could be the guy.

But we really need beef. :yes:

15. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    5-10 200 i dont think so!!
    we need big stud that can bring fear to the middle of the field

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

LMAO are you serious? Did you even watch the video? He lays the wood and I promise you, he would be feared over the middle! And with Cromartie being 6'2" having a 5'10 guy who plays at 6'2 would be nice!

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    :tup::tup: Glad you liked it I am really high on this guy and that is saying something since I am a Florida St fan! lol! But I watched him against FSU and he hits on every play guy plays way bigger than he is!

18. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    It really sucks that we don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year. I've heard a lot of rumblings that this is going to be the best draft class of the past few years, and we're going to miss out on a lot of it. Does anybody know for sure what round our comp pick will be for Donnie? That would be f'ing sweet if we pulled a 3rd for him. If we end up with only one first day pick, I'd say we have to get either a guard or a nose tackle. Beef. I'm not worried about the safety position. Hart is going to be a stud next year...................

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lmao! Nah I believe as it sits the compensitory pick is going to be a 4th or a 5th!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This kid can bring it, there's no doubt there. And he plays much taller than 5'10".

I'm not saying we should pick him over beef, but he's a very good athlete & a hard hitter.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not to be a party pooper or anything, but is this guy even going to be available where we will likely be drafting? We need to pick up a fat boy or two. If Olivea can slot at Guard, then maybe the need isn't so pressing and if McKinney keeps emerging the way he is, we can platoon Jamal and Big Mac and prolong J's career. Maybe then we can think about a safety with a #1. If we lock up the division tomorrow, I would be all for resting Goff and trying Olivea at Guard in the Denver and Oakland games and resting Jamal for those two games as well for the playoffs. If all the above turns out to be jake, then Flowers tempts me as well. Size shmize-the guy looks like a particularly adept open field tackler and an effective blitzer. If do get Flowers or someone like him, then all the subsequent picks should be fat boys, just as long as we either sign or franchise the Burner, and we apparently have the cap room to do just that.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    McKinney is rapidly becoming the backup we want
    If Olivea can't then Mrzucowski can

I just think we could pick up a better safety in FA and everyone knows i'm nuts about Bob Sanders

23. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I know people like thinking about the draft but really we need a NT, ILB, RT/RG, and safety before we pickup a CB and even THINK about safety. We have Oliver, Gordon, Jammer, and Cromartie. I think we are fine how it is.

24. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think our biggest needs are at the safety and DL positions. I am fine with either Hart or Mcree sticking around for backups or special teams, but not both and not as starters. Weddle should be in; and a big hitter is the way to go, I think our first pick would be well spent here.

Our DL is a good place to add on to as we rotate players a lot and a force at this spot would be nice to tack on. Igor has played well of late, but the injury prone castillo needs to get back to it. Hopefully we can get a beast via trade or free agency.

If we get any other picks then a CB or ILB may be a good place to look.

25. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    If I told you there was a safety that could lay wood at 5-10 207, would you say no just because of his size? Troy P. is that safety. Some dudes just play bigger than the measurables.

26. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Jamie Silva, FS/SS, Senior, 5-11 / 210

12/11/07 - 2007 Associated Press All-America First Team Silva, BC's leading tackler this season with 115 (75 solos, 40 assists), leads the team and is tied for 10th in the country with six interceptions. He was a finalist for the 2007 Jim Thorpe Award and earned All-ACC first-team honors. Last week, Silva was named to the Walter Camp All-America first team.

Finished the 2006 regular season as the team's career leader in tackles with 185 (including a team-high 117 solo stops)...has 11.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, six interceptions and three fumble recoveries in his career...earned 2005 All-ACC honorable mention honors...one of the hardest hitters on the team, he recorded 10 or more tackles in two games in 2006... named to the Blue Ribbon Football Yearbook preseason All-ACC first team.

tough nosed footballer with a bunch of experience... kinda like Weddle...

you guys will be hard pressed to find a better FS/SS that isn't named Kenny Phillips... and btw, Silva won CFN's ACC Defensive Player of the Year award over Phillips...

27. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Plus he's white, which will make TK happy. :yes:

28. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    and here I thought he was Portuguese... :lol:

29. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    That just means he is going to get an evaluation of where they think he will go if he came out.

Not everyone that gets that done comes out.

Id prefer a vet safety anyways and i would like to use our first rounder on a OT since that position is deep this next draft. Flowers isnt a classic safety anyways. Good player but we have Oliver who should make good progress next year.

Id love to get Ken Hamlin but Dallas is trying to extend him right now. If they dont, id sure go after him hard.