1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our recent draft picks (suck and "possible" reason why)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 30, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Most are blaming AJ for our crappy picks but he is not the one scouting.

Since Buddy Nix left our draft picks have sucked.

Nix's job was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft.

Maybe we should be placing some blame on our current Director of Player Personnel Jimmy Raye.

Either Nix was exceptional at his job and brought the talent to AJ or Jimmy Raye really sucks and has brought crap to AJs attention.

We all know of Jimmy Rayes father Jimmy Ray II who was the OC fired by the 49ers this season.

2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    John Spanos.

3. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    You mean those fine draft picks like BUSTer Davis? Reaching for Weddle? Reaching for Hester? Buddy wasn't all that good either.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Did to bring in a scouter with history of dependability and success instead of having a guy that lives off the 2004/2005 draft.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    actually this last chargers draft was one of the best ever. Rookies almost always need a year to get in the pro groove. I expect matthews, butler, stuckey, and thomas to be big contributers next year and there after.

6. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't given up on English yet. He's shown some promise when healthy. If he doesn't make the jump next season, that's when I'll call him a bust. I also expect Mathews to have a great year in 2011. Ray Rice and a few other backs didn't look too good in their rookie seasons, either.

Weddle hopefully won't ask for too much money; he's an above-average safety, nothing special. There have been far worse picks in the second round.

Now, the Jacob Hester pick was idiotic. The guy probably would have been there in the fourth round, and he's a damn fullback. I don't know what A.J. was thinking with that one.

A.J. needs to fix the line situations on both defense and offense. I want a new right tackle and some young interior offensive linemen to develop. On defense, I want Marcel Dareus to fix the problem at end.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This team has more holes in it than a screen door and it starts at the tippy top.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Mathews - issues with injuries and playing behind a hot Tolbert
    Butler - injured in camp out for the year
    Stuckey - missed two weeks of camp, one bad game, injured again - can't make up that lost time
    Thomas - Two words; Antonio Garay

Still we got the least amount of production from rookies in the NFL, that's pretty inexcusable

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't think its that inexcusable. Only Mathews was projected to start immediately, and he got that high ankle sprain in week 2 when he was bent backwards awkwardly over the pile. He's definitly shown some promise when healthy, I want to see him with a full offseason of NFL conditioning.

Butler: AJ made a serious move to jump infront of Denver to land him. He has a knack for making big plays in the backfield, I like his potential.

Rookies are rookies, anytime your counting on them to produce you're playing with fire.

10. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Sorry foobs, not one fact to support that Disney view. Yes, it's early, but ONLY Mathews had ANY impact, and his was relatively nominal due to injury and Tolbert's emergence. Pre-season, it DID look like the best AJ draft in years (not "ever"), but Butler went on IR, Mathews was a much lesser impact than expected, and Stuckey - in part due to injury - couldn't displace the undersized PED user Steve Gregory.

Rooks OFTEN make impacts, it's b.s. sold by homers to suggest otherwise. And this draft class SHOULD look better next year, but to suggest one of our 'best ever' at this juncture? Put down the bong as they say.

11. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Sadly, agree. We need alot of upgrades to be a SB contender, starting with at least two on the OL, a couple of decent DE's, an OLB that could go opposite Philips close to as well as Merriman did, an ILB that could stop a Mack truck, a SS that could put fear into people.

And likely it's time to look for the successor to Jammer due to age.

Maybe most of that shopping list could get filled in one off-season IF we played in free agency, but under AJ that's 2-3 drafts IF he gets his mojo back. And I'm not even sure he isn't completely satisfied with the OL. My expectations for 2011 are lower than they've been in 5-7 years, I'm looking for another 8-8 or 9-7 depresser. A bunch of young guys will have to step up from being non-factors to factors, like the 31 year old Garay did this year, or Burnett.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Regardless there has been a decline in our draft pick quality. Instead of pointing the whole thing at the GM I would start pointing fingers at the guy who has the job description of Jimmy Raye.

HOLD ON A MINUTE! Guess who the Director of College Scouting is.......John Spanos (as Fouts mentioned). He coordinates the team’s scouting efforts in preparation for the NFL Draft. This may make sense that Jimmy Raye does not have the sack to tell him that he sucks or that one of his players that he admires sucks. Does AJ hold the same sack to a Spanos?

Back to a Spanos screwing it up!

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you're a RB taken with the 12th pick, I don't give a flying crap about your rookie status. You should be able to play & produce unless you have one leg ripped off. RB is not that difficult of a position to come in & make an impact.

As for Nix, he seemed to have something of a strong attraction for LSU players who really haven't been all that for us.

I don't believe John Spanos can scout his way out of a well-lit room.

We have difference makers on this offense but the D is, as has already been stated, full of holes. Like swiss cheese full of holes.

This draft will go a LOOOOOONG way towards telling the tale of a few of stories.

Is the ownership just biding their time while working on the team's sale/move?
    Is AJ willing to do what it takes to win a championship or is he mired in winning one "his way"?
    Does this organization believe you win championships with a tough defense or a high-flying offense?
    Can the FO & coaches learn to handle a few personality challenges in order to bring in top-notch performers?
    Should San Diego give up on the NFL & be satisfied with all of the other great things the area has to offer?

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    How many VT players are on the roster Buck? How many Canes do we have? Exactly!
    There is a ton of talent in the ACC and SEC. There is a so much talent coming out of the state of Florida itself (High School and College).
    Our scouts avoid these areas like the plague. Hell nobody even get's arrested down here anymore and they still avoid us. :lol:

Enough said.... http://www.procanes.com/StatsRosters/history/files/pro-bowl-history.pdf

As for Mathews.... His ankle, his elbow, his ankle, his mangina..... If he starts that crap next year then he better hope Kaeding is still around to take the heat off of him :p

15. ArkansasBoltFan

ArkansasBoltFan Norv Gotta Go

Ratings:
    +0
    I think if English can't stay healthy and produce what his potential is, in 12-14 games next season, that honeymoon needs to end. Matthews showed flashes, but I'm going to need more consistency to be able to live and die with him as my full time back. Weddle probably will ask for more than he's worth, like most players, and will be the putting out the same numbers as he has been. Hester is a good fullback, let's not take away from his ability, but he was still taken way to early. Look for the first round pick to be taken on either Derek Sherrod (Tackle, Mississippi State) or Von Miller (OLB/DE, Texas A&M). I would love to have Dareus but the fact is he'll probably be scooped up in the top 10.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Coincidense that Nix left within a couple weeks of the Hester draft, and all reports said he left on bad terms and other say he was pushed out. Is it possible that he was against that (or other) picks, and it rubbed AJ wrong?

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hear ya, Doug. LSU is the only SEC school that has gotten much if any love from San Diego. There are some defensive STUDS coming out of both conferences this year. AJ needs to look at them hard.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm gonna go ON RECORD right now & say that Von Miller is overrated. Great closing speed but he's weak in the run, has the same pass rushing move as English (speed & hope it's enough), & doesn't shed blocks well at all.

Of course, he'll wow AJ because he has a fair number of sacks.

Do we have Al drafting for us now?

19. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I would have thought that about the last THREE drafts. Instead AJ shot blanks with Buster, Hester, English, etc.

-----------

Another thing is that we keep drafting either brokendick players or little china dolls... Buster, Matthews, Butler, English, etc... the list is incredibly long when you look at it. Why does AJ continue drafting pusssies? Big John Butler used to draft "football players". I would have thought he would have passed that essential tidbit on to AJ.

20. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I have watched the kid in interviews, and I can't believe he is a pro scout. As the family takes over more positions (GM) it will get worse IMO.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Bingo.

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Probably this. I think at this point the Spanos' ownership monopoly really only care about one two things, money, and keeping that money in the family