1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our running game sucks !!! We need a healthy LT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    We only had 69 rushing yards against the Dolphins, and we gave up 148 !!! We need a healthy LT. We only had LT healthy for about 4 weeks last year, and we don't really have anyone to step up in his place now. Other teams can do this, but we can't. It's getting old.

Next week we play Pittsburgh on the road. Yeah they lost to the Bengals, but come on, we won't be able to run against them at all, and they will just sit back and wait for Philip to throw.

We can't run it in from 1st and goal from the 5 yard line or less??? We need to do this against these teams.

A healthy LT makes the difference IMO.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well at least we only gave up 140 passing. :lol:

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    LT!?, we could have Adrian Peterson back there and we ain't doing nada. The problem is the O line number 1 then the playcalling. If I see Norv run Sproles up the middle into guys weighing 350 again I think I'm gonna have to personally fly over and tell him to STOP!. If u wanna run the clock down/up the middle give it to a bigger back who can take the punishment. We're gonna need Darren down the stretch and he will be no good to us in civvies wearing bandages.

FFS Norv, cop on. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Confucius say, create no threads on gameday. Your constitution will thank you.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    It sucks because we refuse to give Bennett a chance. Sproles is too freaking small to run the ball up the middle.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Bennett got touches, as did Tolbert (but not Hester?) but Norv's game still relies on Sproles. As much as I love the little guy, he's just a scat back. He's incredibly intelligent and patient but the O-line can't get him the lanes nine times out of ten and even then EVERY RB has to face down the heavy hitting defenders. Odds for Sproles are much lower than average due to that size. Bennett is experienced but for his size, he lacks the real power like Turner had (then again, does anyone have what Turner did?). We really don't have an answer yet.

But we have this passing attack that makes running much easier. As the season goes on, the run game will pick up because we are such a vicious deep threat. There is no stacking against the Chargers. The O-line has to step up and DO THEIR ****ING JOB!

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

WORD! :tup:

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    3 points win games too...

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Unless you are more than 40 yards back. :lol: :icon_twisted:

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm real curious to see what happens when & if LT comes back healthy. He isn't exactly the between the tackles power runner and his running to the outside doesn't seem to work for him that much anymore. I would have to say that running wide is more a Sproles item now.What I liked about Benett on that one play today for 9 yards was the patience he showed going through the line. I would like to see them give him the ball more and see what he can do after getting a few more touches on a consistant basis.

11. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Not against good teams.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    it is if it's 3 more than they score

:tup:

13. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I think we might see that soon. Especially if LT is hurt more than we think

14. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree. We should use Bennett more while LT is out. I must of shooted at the TV a half dozen times today telling Norv to let Bennett do the heavy lifting...Sporles is not effective up the middle, and is too valuable to risk getting hurt; if he gets hurt we are in trouble.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How many X sucks threads are you going to make?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Until our O-line and what passes for a fullback can open some holes, nobody is running anywhere. I don't care who is back there, running straight up the middle into a pile of very large bodies is a very bad idea. If the middle is plugged a reasonably quick defense can string out the play and nail our ball carrier as he tries to turn the corner at the sidelines. Always running on first down could probably be retired for a while...and not be missed. I'd prefer a play action fake and a slant or a screen myself.

Hopefully Vasquez will be back in the lineup soon and the alphabet-soup brothers will get better at run blocking and we can balance the offense a little bit. Just a thought.

I am guessing we won't see LT in uniform until the Monday nighter against the donkeys on Monday Night Football. If that is what it takes to get him to 100%, go for it.

Get well soon, LT!

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    but if Norv doesnt do it at least 10 times a game on first down, we would not have anything else to get mad it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Maybe we could put some white-out on that particular play on Norv's playcalling card...I'm sure the fine folks on BoltTalk will find something else to rail about...it is part of the entertainment value. :lol:

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I dont think the white-out would work, its etched in stone

20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    We must continue to run up the middle on first down...that is the only way we can consistently set up 2nd and long or even 3rd and long. Norv has got a lot of experience at calling long 2nd and 3rd down plays! That is Norv's recipe for success!
    :icon_tease:

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Then take a phockin chisel then dammit! :yes:

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Again, a lot like my golf game, I'm really good at hitting out of the trees,rough,sand, etc...

:lol:

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

How many 12-9, or 15-13 games is our defense going to be in a field goal battle??? If we give up a couple of TD's, then what??

We lose 21-12, or 23-13 ??

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    As many as it takes until they QUIT sucking. :lol:

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well now those wouldn't be 3 point wins.

:icon_shrug:

but back to the title of the thread.

A healthy LT will not fix our red zone problems.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    FIXED

27. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It's unbelievable that after 8 years of watching LT rack up double digit TDs....behind mostly suspect offensive lines.....and we've had worse than we do this year.....that people doubt his impact in the redzone of ALL THINGS.

When the Chargers are inside the 10 and he is in the game...defensive gameplanning will shift to stopping LT first....At a minimum, this opens up options for Rivers that he doesn't currently have because teams are lining up to defend the perimiters and receivers and daring the Chargers to run up the middle, which they can't unless they totally fool a team like we did against the shell shocked Raiders in week 1.

A healthy LT ABSOLUTELY will help us tremendously in the redzone...His presence alone causes a different defensive strategy against us to stop a guy who has 127 rushing TDs...more than any other player except Emmitt Smith.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Great point.

I just think the O-line is REALLY suspect right now, as is playcalling. I don't know how much diff LT will make, but we'll know as soon as he comes back.

This may actually be a blessing in disquise (LT being sidelined), give the "new" OL time to gel before we put our money back behind it to get beat on.

29. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I thinking getting Vasquez back will be a big help also.....the coaches had enough faith in him to waive our expected starter at RG....so while I haven't personally seen enough of him, he must be the real deal.

30. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Agreed, the O-Line needs improvement, but having LT is better than running Sproles.