1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our "suspect" run blocking

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Sep 20, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey Trump-

This breakdown is for you. I know you don't like stats, unless they support YOUR argument, but sometimes they are relevant.

--The Bolts are averaging 217.5 yards rushing per game, 2nd to only Atlanta, and more than 50 yards better than the 3rd place team.

--The Bolts are averaging 5.1 yards per rush, also 2nd best in the league.

--The Bolts have 18 rushing first downs, 3rd best in the league

--The Bolts 4 rushes of 20+ yards are 2nd best in the league.

--The Bolts 5 rushing TDs are the most in the league.

Man, if only we had a solid o-line. Imagine how good our running game could be.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    We still had too many of the following during the Titans game:

1-10-SD21 (14:55) L.Tomlinson right end to SD 22 for 1 yard (K.Bulluck, D.Thornton).

2-4-TEN12 (7:16) L.Tomlinson up the middle to TEN 11 for 1 yard (J.Mahelona, D.Thornton).

1-10-SD28 (4:19) L.Tomlinson right end to SD 29 for 1 yard (K.Vanden Bosch).

2-3-TEN24 (1:18) L.Tomlinson right tackle to TEN 23 for 1 yard (C.Hope, D.Thornton).

3-2-TEN7 (14:25) L.Tomlinson right tackle to TEN 6 for 1 yard (P.Sirmon).

2-12-TEN29 (10:14) M.Turner left end to TEN 31 for -2 yards (C.Hope).
    PENALTY on TEN-C.Hope, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at TEN 31.

1-10-SD39 (8:12) L.Tomlinson right tackle to SD 40 for 1 yard (D.Thornton, P.Sirmon).

1-10-SD25 (4:07) L.Tomlinson right end to SD 24 for -1 yards (R.Starks).

1-10-TEN14 (8:35) M.Turner right end to TEN 16 for -2 yards (R.Starks).

1-10-TEN19 (14:17) M.Turner right tackle to TEN 19 for no gain (D.Thornton, P.Sirmon).
    PENALTY on TEN-A.Haynesworth, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at TEN 19 - No Play.

3-3-TEN31 (8:53) M.Turner right end to TEN 30 for 1 yard (K.Vanden Bosch).

4-2-TEN30 (8:04) M.Turner right tackle to TEN 30 for no gain (K.Amato).

1-10-TEN15 (2:11) M.Turner right tackle to TEN 14 for 1 yard (A.Haynesworth).

A lot of those negative, or short gains were runs to the right. That means our run blocking to the right, namely Goff and Olivea can use significant improvement.

I won't be satisfied until LT or any Chargers RB gets at least 3 yards on every rush, and being tackled behind the line is a distant memory. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You can look at all the stats in the world and as I said in the River/Brees thread, they are not the end all-tell all.

Just ask yourself this one question.

Does LT get his 2,000 yards and a new NFL rushing record behind this line of McNeil-Dielman-Hardwick-Goff-Olivea ?

We may win a Super Bowl but does LT (the greatest RB in NFL history) gets his record and that is the question ?

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LT was shut down for 3 quarters against the Raiders. We got all of our yardage in the first quarter and then we had three or four series where the Raiders just shut us down in running the ball.

5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Even though we were shut down running the ball, we still won though, as long as we win i don't care:tup: :tup:

We have running the ball well even though this happened

GO BOLTS!!!!!!!:icon_party:

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    With Rivers loosening up the D, I think it's quite possible that he could get 2,000 this year or next. But if we continue to blowout teams, Turner will get too many of LT's touches.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    LT, will get probably 1700 rushing. I cant see 2000 unless he really starts having some huge games.

8. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I want our OL to improve it's run blocking to the point where LT (or Turner) frequently get "first contact" with a defender at the Donna Edwards level. Only then will I say we have a great run blocking OL. :yes:

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    One more thing to consider: There have been two 50+ yard runs in the NFL this season, and both have been by the Chargers.

10. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I bet if you talked to LT today he wouldn't give a crap that he's not on the pace to get the NFL record or 2000 or lead the league or any of that stuff.

Your last sentence is mindboggling. We MAY WIN THE SUPER BOWL, but somehow that isn't good enough for you unless LT sets the record in the process. None of the other record setters won the Super Bowl that year. Most of them were trash not too long after setting the record because of the toll it took on their body. Maybe instead he gets the all-time rushing mark and plays two or three more extra years. I'm sure he'd be happy with the Super Bowl and no record.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Last year - maybe the year prior LT made the comment and challenge to his O-Line to get him 2,100 yards. Did you forget this little challenge ? It was stupid to even challenge that fuc't up line and even cruel.

The mind boggling part of winning a Super Bowl and LT not walking away with the NFL's rushing record for a season and overall should not be so mind boggling considering we have the best back in the NFL and its history.

LT had just signed his extension so I think the jack went to his NFL pea brain and overloaded his mouth which does not happen often but he fuc't up royally in doing so and got a fan "pass".

LT recently commented on wanting to be known as a BACK and not a complete back but a running back. The recent article on Barry Sanders alluded LT is getting tired of waiting as his NFL body clock is expiring and hence some parallels. There is even a suggestion of leaving in his prime.

Bottom line is that LT deserves, as did Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers or Jim Brown, the recognition of having the NFL's single season rushing title. Anything less is a dis-service to his career.

Winning the Super Bowl gets the gorilla off our fan backs but leaves another void for the games greatest running back - LaDainian Tomlinson.

12. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    u r kidding right? who cares as long as one's team wins the big 1

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No I am not kidding.

LT deserves the rushing title record.

Hopefully, it is in concert with a Super Bowl win but he deserves the title nonetheless.

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Congrats LT on your career avg. 4.3 YPC

Gale Sayers = 5.0 YPC
    Barry Sanders = 5.0 YPC
    Jim Brown = 5.2 YPC

And by the looks of things LT's career YPC will shoot down to 4.1 or 4.0 by the time his career ends. GJ LT, GJ.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You are the only LT-hater I've ever met. I guess some people just have an intense desire to think they're smarter than everyone else in the world.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup!

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He just hates the fact LT pussess out and runs out of bounds instead of turning it upfield like Neal or Turner :yes:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant fault him for that. How many defenders will take a big shot at LT, where they wouldnt Neal or Turner? Is an extra step with the football worth LT taking a big hit? I think not.

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    In an article a week or so ago, LT said he's wearing a flak jacket under his jersey this year, to lessen the impacts from hits, namely cheap shots like what Danny Clark did last year.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    MTL does not want to give LT a fan pass on this one which many fans have done.

I agree with his assessment and it does not make him a hater but just calling it like it is and if it hurts - oh well.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If you guys had your way you would see LT on IR. Does that serve us best? You guys are crazy.

23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    yah you got it trumpie. I don't know how many times again and again Turner has to prove how much better of a runner he is than LT. Better suited to our system or not, Turner would just be more productive getting the load of the carries. You can argue that Turner doesn't have stamina and wouldn't be able to produce as much with a heavy workload but Turner has shown time and time again how much stamina he has, even when he gets 10-12 carries in a row in the last few carries of this series of carries he is still running as hard and as fast as he was the first few carries and LT's YPC actually goes down as the game goes on so there is no counterargument. Turner is one of the top 5 backs in the league just as he was a year ago. You can stand up for LT all you want but once Turner goes to another team and puts up a 2000 yard season you will see why I have shown such manlove for him over the past few years. It's not that LT isn't a good runner, it's that Turner is a whole lot better. Turner wears down defenses because of his consistency running. You better be mentally focused on him for the entire game because if for one instant you forget to wrap him up or be in the right position, he will bust a 50+ yarder on you. LT is on and off. You seal an angle from him and he will not take it. You seal an angle from Turner and he will run you over and usually gain like 4 to 32 to 60 to 80 extra yards. If I can choose a 26 year old MT entering his prime in 2 years or a 29 year old LT with tons of milage on his legs running the ball like his body is more important than a win, I choose MT. But of course this won't happen but whatever. When we win "LT is god", when we lose "the o-line sucks balls". Maybe if LT would grind it out during those losses that extra yard would lead to a TD and consequently a win. I want all my players playing smashmouth football and fighting for every yard.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah see Walter Payton ... Jim Brown for christs sakes :bolt:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He most certainly did!

Watch the damn games. LT has the best stiff arm in the league. How did that happen? From him runing out of bounds every play?! Hell no!

He does what he can. But he uses his head, and reduces the hits he takes. That prolongs his career. It is the advice and consultation he got from that little known Dallas running back... You know that one guy know one knows. Emmitt Smith knows more about runing the ball than any of you. If he tells LT to do this, then it should be done. You guys going to bash LT when he gets the rushing record from Smith? Say he ran out of bounds too much? What maroons...

LT plays smart football, not chicken poo that you football mensas try and make it out to be.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The ENTER key is your friend...

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In Jim Brown's day, he was one of the biggest men on the field. Hard to compare that to the pounding LT takes.

Master of Pupes and I were discussing this at the game on Sunday. This is one of the stupidest criticisms of LT. He only runs out of bounds when it isn't worth taking a big hit to get an extra yard. When it is, he gladly absorbs the blow. Personally, I think this is smarter than the approach taken by other guys who have to prove how tough they are on every play. Those guys end up knocked out or on IR.

You name one play of significance where LT ran out of bounds instead of taking a hit, one play where it cost us significant yards or points.