1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our window is shrinking.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    We've got a great core here right now, but time is running out.

The way I see it, we can hold this team together for the most part for the next to years, after that it's going to be trouble. I was looking at which players are signed long term and which will become free agents and when. What catch my eye was 2010. That seems like so far away, but it's already 2008.

Here is our free agent list for this off season:
    QB Billy Volek UFA
    RB Michael Turner UFA
    WR Malcom Floyd RFA
    PK Dave Rayner UFA
    C Scott Mruczkowski RFA
    OL Jeromey Clary RFA
    DL Ryon Bingham RFA
    DL Brandon McKinney RFA
    LB Marques Harris RFA
    CB Drayton Florence UFA
    CB Cletis Gordon RFA
    FS Steve Gregory RFA

Nothing here we didn't already know about.

Here is our list for next off season:
    RB Germaine Race RFA
    RB Darren Sproles UFA
    OG Mike Goff UFA
    C David Binn UFA
    DL Jyles Tucker RFA
    LB Carlos Polk UFA
    SS Clinton Hart UFA

Ok, there are some names here we'd like to keep, but still not that bad.

Here is our free agnet list for the 2010 off season:

QB Philip Rivers UFA
    QB Charlie Whitehurst UFA
    WR Chris Chambers UFA
    WR Vincent Jackson UFA
    WR Kassim Osgood UFA
    TE Brandon Manumaleuna UFA
    OT Marcus McNeill UFA
    C Cory Withrow UFA
    DL Luis A. Castillo UFA
    DL Igor Olshansky UFA
    LB Tim Dobbins UFA
    LB Shawne Merriman UFA

Ok, this is a lot of names entering free agency all at once, some of which will require big money to keep. I mean how are we going to re-sign Rivers, Whithurst, Chambers, Jackson, Osgood, Manu, McNeil, Castillo, Olshansky, Dobbins, & Merriman all in the same off season.

I have faith in AJ and we've got a lot of time to address this. Maybe he'll start reworking deals this coming season to lock some of these guys up.

Your thoughts?

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The reworking will start tomorrow no doubt in my mind. We have quite a bit of cap space, and AJ will be resigning Rivers without a doubt in my mind. I also think that Mcneill will be resigned as well. We'll have to see about Merriman, Castillo, and Jackson. If Rivers is the quarterback that we all think he is, we will be in contention until he retires.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think they'll work on extending a lot of those guys this off-season. Not sure how many of them are looking to make a deal now. Rivers would probably be most likely, Merriman maybe the hardest. I could see AJ trying to extend guys like Jackson and Igor.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The window is certainly shrinking, from an age factor as well. LT is not getting any younger. We'll most likely be losing MT, which hurts in the RB dept. AJ will certainly be sharpening his pencil starting now, but salary caps can get eaten up quickly. He may very well look at trading down in the draft in order to not have to work on a high-priced deal for a first-rounder.

Guess we've just entered this phase on the forum, huh? :icon_sad:

I like talking draft, etc. but would much rather be booking my flight for AZ.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I think this is just a byproduct of good drafting and success on the field. We are going to lose some very good players to free agency, unless they pull a Tom Brady and agree to home town discounts.

Aside from Rivers and McNeil, it wouldn't shock me if any one of the players listed above were allowed to leave this team.

That said, we are still one of the youngest teams in the league, and AJ drafts well even when we are at the bottom of every round. I really think we are looking at a 10+ year run of perennial Super Bowl contention.

PS. The Patriots have an interesting cap situation this offseason. They probably can't afford to retain Randy Moss, and maybe even Asante Samuel. That might play a part in a decision to trade their top 5 pick acquired from the Niners too.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Bingham is on the 2008 FA list. We extended him earlier in the year.

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Actually, it's the 7th pick in the draft.

8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    How about bringing something useful to the discussion instead of just correcting minor factual errors?

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    1979-1982

=

2005-2007

I'm so tired of our seasons coming to a disappointing end

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Just trying to bring some clarity to the conversation. Don't blame me for you throwing out falsehoods as facts.

11. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I think we can keep most of those guys. The Chargers have ~$45 mil in space going into this offseason. Use that to front load two huge extensions, say Phillip and Merriman. Then next year rolls around, and we have a ton of space again. Rinse and repeat. A.J. is a genious.

12. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Thanks, you are very helpful.

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The only extension that I care about was squared away a few weeks ago when AJ Smith was given a 5 year extension.

I'll leave the rest up to him, and trust that he makes the right choices as far who stays and who goes...

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    My advice Thumper? Don't worry about things that 1. you can't control or have any say-so in and 2. A.J./McGuire have done it before and will do it again. EC said it best:

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    :yes:

The window will stay open as long as AJ Smith is here to hold it open - or smash it with a brick. :abq2:

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Merriman, Castillo, Jackson, Igor, Cromartie, Cooper, Wilhelm, McNeill, Hardwick, Clary, Rivers...

All these guys are starters with 5 or fewer years starting experience. They are all just coming into their prime. I think our window is expanding.

18. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Oh god! And only 3 years, millions of dollars under the salary cap to re-sign the important players! Not to mention only 3 more years of drafts! The horror!

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    good one... I just hope he can manufacture some picks for this draft, as the absence thereof will catch up to us in 2-4 years...

20. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    very well put, IN AJ WE TRUST

21. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    We still have our first, and we'll get probably a 3rd for Edwards leaving. So we're only really missing what, a 2nd and a 4th? And trading a 2nd rounder for Chambers was better than anyone we could ever draft. He was a vet, pro-bowl caliber receiver already experienced and ready to go, rather than a rookie we'd have to train for a few years before he became productive.

We'll be fine.

As for extending key players, AJ is pretty good at it. Look at what he accomplished with Kris Dielman this last off-season. Dielman took a pay cut to stay in SD, and he is probably glad he did, judging by what happened to Seattle's running game and the eventual end of their season.

Why do you guys think Merriman is so eager to leave? I'd think he'd want to stay in a place where he has friends and a good team chemistry going. Where woudl he want to go? Baltimore, back to Maryland?

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You're right. I got the info from KFFL.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    qft

The window has JUST OPENED. Don't worry about the END when we are barely at the beginning. It's like getting to Disneyland @ 8 in the morning then spending the whole day complaining that the park will be closed at midnight. I know people are afraid we're "wasting" LT, but guess what, we've got 52 other guys on the roster who also need to step up. Like Norv said, we need to realize that it's NOT all about LT anymore, we've got the guys on te outside and the guy behind center now who can do just as much damage (when healthy of course).

We need to lock some guys up to long term deals (Rivers is a MUST followed by Merriman), have another great draft (BEEF and a similar type of RB to replace Turner), fine tune to offense/defense in the offseason/preseason, and hit the ground running again next season for another run deep into the playoffs.

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Like some of you, I also see it the other way, the windows is just opening, the only players on the down side of their careers are :

LT : still 2-3 good years left, enjoy while it lasts because I don't see AJ keeping him for "emotional" reasons :icon_sad:
    Jamal : 1-2 good years left, injuries will probably do him in.
    Goff : not crutial
    Lo-Neal : maybe 1 year left

Other than that :

In defense Igor, Castillo, the entire LB corp, the entire secondary are young and on the way up.

On offense Philip, Gates, Jackson (Chambers not so much so) Davis, the OL (except Goff) are all young.

Add to it that AJ will get the crutial guys extended AND will draft great palyers in the coming years and the windows is easy 6-8 years wide :tup::abq1:

25. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Our windows has just gotten windiow open becouse we now know we can beat Indy anywhere any time, as for New England they just bearely got thru us with our offense at about 60% healthy and theres no other competition in the AFC (sure you can make an argument for JAX and Pitt but i think JAX was a fluke and Pitt got destroyed when one piece got injured) so smile charger fans sure it sucks we lost but we have a front office ho knows what their doing so the future is brigth

So lets get some rest and healthy to start getting ready to kick *** in 2008
    I WAS BORN A CHARGER I WILL DIE A CHARGER!!!!!

26. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    U think Jax was a fluke? I don't, they'll just get better imo. Their offense needs a receiving threat, but they have a strong relatively young OL, a clear lerader in Garrard, and a good running game with Mo-Jo, Greg Jones, and if Taylor can last a few more years.

Their D is solid. Marcus Stroud and Big John Henderson are in Haynesworth territory; solid corners in Mathis and Brian Williams; and Marcus Washington is solid too. What they need is a pash rusher, a stud safety (Reggie Nelson may be it), and LBers to be elite. Depending on the offseason, NE and Indy are their way out, and Jax and Tenn on their way up. Pitt is staying afloat, while Den and Balt are already sunk. Cle and Cin still need a defense, and everyone else are rebuilding. Oh, and the NFC is irrelevant.

The Chargers are looking pretty for the next couple years, and with AJ, many years beyond.

27. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    As long as NE and Indy have Brady and Manning they will always compete. I will be interested to see how Indy does once Dungy finally leaves. Ditto for NE, if BB decides to call it quits after the perfect season.

I agree that JAX and TEN are going to be rising stars. Especially if either of them can get a legitimate receiving threat, and if Young can finally learn to throw the ball.

Over in the AFC North, I think that BALT and CIN are going into rebuilding mode. PIT I think will stay on top over there for a while. Tomlin is a good coach, and Ben is a good QB. CLE needs to grow a defense. Once they do, they can compete, as their offense already is doing really well.

For the AFC East, NE will stay on top for the next few years if for no other reason than the rest of the division is in such a shambles. That division won't be sending anyone other than the Pats to the playoffs for a while yet.

As far as our division is concerned, I know it's taboo to say this, but in a couple years I think the Raiders are going to start to compete again. Once Jamarcus Russel gets a year or two under his belt, they will be pretty good. He's got some receiving weapons, and their defense is nearly there. KC and Denver are definitely going to be down for a while. Arrowhead and Mile High are going to lose some of their mystique for a while. We will represent the AFC West in the playoffs for some time.

I disagree about the NFC being worthless. With a year's experience under their belts, and Favre still clearly playing at an elite level, the Pack will be a force to be reckoned with. And again this may be taboo, but the Giants are starting to look good.

To sum up, though, I think the AFC playoffs will be a mix of SD, NE, IND, PIT, JAX, TEN, and CLE for the next few years.

28. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    window is no where near shrinking, it is just opening, just look, how many years did it take for the colts to make it to the superbowl with manning? like what 7 or more years in the playoffs right? we got a 2 year starter in Rivers who after 3 playoff games has put him self up with the big names cause he can play in the big games!:bolt:

29. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Right. As long as Philip is under center, we'll always be contenders, like SF, DEN, and MIA always were with Montana, Elway, and Marino. The guy thrives on game-time pressure, and clearly lives on big game situations. When he gets us to the Super Bowl, he will be its MVP.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Rivers took over as the OFFICIAL leader of the team yesterday.

As long as we have him, we're set.