1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Outstanding showing for offseason workouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Scott Yoffe
    4-7-2010

There was a buzz around Chargers Park on Tuesday morning when 55 veteran players turned out for the official start of the team’s voluntary offseason strength and conditioning program.

Tuesday was the first day that many veterans were on hand as one at Chargers Park. It was a group that included quarterback Philip Rivers running back Darren Sproles tight end Antonio Gates defensive end Luis Castillo[​IMG] and cornerback Quentin Jammer[​IMG]. Coach Norv Turner talked to the team about setting the tone and tempo of the team’s long-term goals for the upcoming season.

“We’ve had a number of guys in here working out on their own for the last month or so to get ready for today,” said a very pleased Turner. “What that says to me is that our guys are hungry and can’t wait to get going.”

While the roster changes as it does every year, the team remains focused and seems to welcome and embrace the changes. The players interviewed are looking forward to the new season and new opportunities ahead. One of the players who exemplified that feeling is Jammer, who is excited to see one of his close friends and former college teammates, cornerback Nathan Vasher[​IMG], on the team’s 2010 roster.

“There’s a different feel around here and I think it will be good for us to have a fresh start with a fresh group,” said Jammer. “We always talk about change and change is good. I think it’ll be good for us.”

There were a lot of smiling faces on the field, inside the weight room and around the locker room. This is the time of year when teams build camaraderie, before two-a-days and summer’s sweltering heat sets in. Jacob Hester[​IMG] is one of those who embraced being around his teammates for the first time since late January.

“It’s good to get back here and work out with the guys, have a few laughs and get the camaraderie going again,” said Hester. “You get used to seeing them every day for 9 or 10 months and then for two months, you don’t see or hear from them. So it’s good to get back and see everybody.”

Jammer echoed those sentiments.

“It’s always good to get back,” said Jammer. “When people say you become a family, it sounds cliché, but it’s really not. We are a family and you start missing guys the longer you’re away from them. It was good to get back and joke around with the guys.”

Though offseason workouts are completely voluntary for players, it was impressive to see the number of veterans milling around Chargers Park for the unofficial kickoff to the 2010 season. For the first time in three years, Gates can train this offseason without coming off surgery or a major injury. Two years ago it was a toe and last year it was an ankle. But this past season, Gates played right through to the Pro Bowl and his body feels fresh and rested. He too could feel the vibe from his teammates who were all excited about being back on the Chargers’ campus.

“It’s always exciting to come back and be a part of the offseason program,” noted Gates. “Just to come back and see the energy and the number of guys that showed up, it means something to them.”

One particular player for whom this offseason has special meaning is defensive tackle Ryon Bingham[​IMG]. His entire 2009 season was derailed when he fell victim to a triceps injury during a training camp practice. The injury became all the more painful to absorb as he watched a number of his teammates on the defensive line fall victim to a rash of injuries that plagued the line throughout the ’09 season. Bingham says this is the best that he’s felt in a long time.

“The biggest thing is that I’m in shape and my arm feels good enough to come back and play,” said Bingham. “I’ve done this before, having to sit out a season, but to have it happen later in my career was a bummer. Last year would have been a really good opportunity since there was potential for me to play a lot. But God has a plan for everyone, that’s how I look at it, and this year is it. I’m ready to hit the ground running.”

Offseason workouts will continue for the team until late June. Most weeks the players will work out four days a week with Wednesday being the scheduled day for rest and recovery. Current workout sessions are scheduled for 7:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Each session lasts approximately 90 minutes with work split between conditioning on the field and strength in the weight room. Jeff Hurd, Vernon Stephens and former wide receiver Eric Parker run the team’s strength and conditioning program.

Notes
    Three of the team’s restricted free agents were not on hand for the first day of voluntary workouts, including tackle Marcus McNeill[​IMG] and wide receivers Vincent Jackson[​IMG] and Malcom Floyd[​IMG]…Rivers is scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Padres home opener against the Atlanta Braves next Monday...it will be the second time he’s thrown out the first pitch for one of their games…in 2007, the Padres invited Rivers to throw out the first pitch before a game against San Francisco…Sheila Chudzinski, wife of Tight Ends & Assistant Head Coach Rob Chudzinski, gave birth to a girl named Margaret Ruth on Saturday…it’s the couples’ third child and first daughter…Director of Security Dick Lewis was recently honored during Black History Month at the San Diego Police Museum with a plaque that will permanently hang on the museum’s wall…Lewis worked for the police department for 21 years and is still highly regarded for his work in keeping a lid on racial tension and gang activities during the ’70s and ’80s…Lewis has worked for the Chargers since 1989…one player who is back with the team is running back Curtis Brinkley[​IMG]…he was with the team in 2009, but just before the start of training camp Brinkley was the victim of a shooting incident in his native Philadelphia…he spent the entire 2009 season recovering from his injuries and Brinkley is now healthy and cleared to participate in all team activities.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers focus on 'pushing forward'

Team workouts launch new start

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010

For the Chargers, it was a mix between another day at the office and a starting over, this year perhaps moreso than others.
    “It feels different just because a lot of the faces that have been here, for years, they’re gone — Jamal (Williams) and LT. (Antonio) Cromartie, also,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “But it’s part of the job, and as a team, we’re pushing forward. We took a step forward today. Guys are showing up, getting ahead, trying to make themselves better.
    “It’s all about looking forward. We know what happened last year. We didn’t show up to work when we were supposed to. It was tough to swallow, but we took a little time during the offseason and now we’re looking forward to the season and pushing forward.”
    More than 50 players were at Chargers Park yesterday for the first day the entire squad was asked to report for voluntary organized conditioning sessions.
    “It was definitely good to get back with the guys,” said safety Eric Weddle, who has been among a couple dozen other players around the team’s complex for several weeks.
    As expected, the four restricted free agents who have yet to sign their first-and-third tenders did not attend yesterday. Malcom Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill and Shawne Merriman are sitting out indefinitely, displeased with the one-year, nonguaranteed contracts tendered to them as restricted free agents. It is possible that their holdouts, which the team expected and is so far understanding of, could last into training camp. At that point, it could get interesting, considering Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith has a history of not tolerating similar stances.
    The focus yesterday was on who was in attendance.
    Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, Quentin Jammer, Nick Hardwick and Kris Dielman headlined the 7:30 a.m. session. Both new cornerbacks, Donald Strickland and Nathan Vasher, were also there.
    “It just shows everyone you’re committed to the team first,” Jammer said.
    The workouts will continue for most of the next five weeks, with players at Chargers Park at least two hours a day, four days a week.
    The Chargers will begin their offseason coaching sessions (also voluntary) on May 18 and hold minicamp May 26-28. The coaching sessions will continue into mid-June before the players take a month off. Rookies report for training camp on July 25, veterans four days later.
    “April, May and June is to get them ready to go to camp to compete for jobs,” head coach Norv Turner said as he watched about a dozen players work in the 10 a.m. session.
    Turner addressed players in a brief team meeting between the two morning sessions, telling them the difference going through the offseason workouts can make.
    “Particularly the younger guys,” Turner said, “they do such a better job being together. They push each other.”
    Turner anticipates a number of battles for jobs — both in the starting lineup and on the roster — due largely to the number of players the team used last season (62) because of injuries.
    Turner watched almost every minute of the on-field workouts, players in shorts doing agility drills and sprints.
    “This is demanding,” Turner said. “You learn a lot about guys — how they finish a drill, how they work in the final 15 minutes versus the first 15 minutes.”

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Good stuff.

I think it's addition by subtraction letting Cro & LT go.

Need to get those key free agents signed.

:bolt:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Blah blah blah .....

There was a different feel last year too. :yes:

Show me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Although I don't believe for one second that LT was the only reason for our horrible running offense last year, I also don't believe that he ever bought into Norv's system, so you are right, it probably is addition by subtraction

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. I remember last year Kevin Acee wrote an article about how hard Cro was working and how he was concentrating on football and improving after a bad 08 season, yet he was equally as bad last season. So working hard doesn't mean squat if it doesn't translate on the field

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Would you rather them have the same feel? It's a different feel but different how? Will it be good or bad. 2 years ago we went 8-8 last year we went 13-3 so there was a difference, it just didn't equal to a SB. Maybe this year will, maybe not but it'll most likely be different than 09 hopefully for the better.

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    They did show us last year - they went 13-3 despite all the injury issues and lack of production in key areas - yes they also had a nasty loss in the playoffs - lots of long-time Bolts are gone now, of course it's different. But geez... they're just answering questions and can't "show" anything that counts until September besides putting in the work which they are doing - give 'em a break :p

Would you rather they be all negative? Decline to comment?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Awwwwwwe shaddap! :icon_evil:

Ok just kiddin... :icon_twisted:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Just hope these guys don't show up again... ever.

[​IMG]

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Actually, decline to comment would work for me. :yes:

Or maybe show them burning Kaeding in effigy. :lol:

Or performing an exorcism on AJ. :icon_twisted:

12. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28