1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Over Time format under review

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

OT format under review
    Feb 20 2009

The NFL's competition committee, made up of coaches and executives, spent a good portion of its time during three days of meetings in Indianapolis this week discussing the league's overtime rule.

"We're not done addressing it," said Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, the committee's co-chair. "We discussed it with the executive player committe yesterday. It's something we're going to continue to look at. It's always been the commissioner's position and the committee's position that if we're in fact letting the coin toss determine the outcome of the game we need to look at what's going on."

The committee has in previous years discussed the overtime format, in which a coin toss determines the opening possession and one sudden-death, 15-minute period is played. But the overtime became a hot topic in January after the Chargers beat the Indianapolis Colts in a wild card playoff game.

The Chargers won the OT coin toss and went on to a game-winning touchdown by Darren Sproles. The outcry over Peyton Manning and the Colts offense not getting a chance to score was immediate and sustained.

Fisher indicated a change is not necessarily coming soon.

"There are so many other factors involved," Fisher said. "We don't want ties, the length of game, the injury issues that come up with extended overtime periods. There's a lot of different options we've looked at and we're going to continue to."

At the Super Bowl, commissioner Roger Goodell said that in the past few years more teams have been winning in the same manner as the Chargers.

"What we've seen in our statistics is that, historically, about 30 percent of the games in overtime are decided with a team who wins the coin flip scoring on the first possession," Goodell said. "That number has risen to about 47 percent, and I think that's significant. When you couple that with the fact that our field goal kickers are much more accurate than they have been in the past, that is a danger."

The issue will be decided upon at the league meetings next month.

Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith said a lot of changes to OT were discussed, including moving the kickoff back and guaranteeing both teams an equal number of possession.

"I'm not sure if we know it's statistically significant (enough) to change," Smith said. "... The stats might suggest the last couple years that is the case."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I bet that 47% number is high. It may be that the team who wins the toss eventually ends up winning 47% of the time, but how many times does the team win the toss and the other team never sees the ball? Whatever, it's still not even 50-50. So the coin toss doesn't decide the game more than it actually does.

Is this all due to the Chargers beating the Colts? Poor little Peyton never got the ball, Archie probably *****ed about it to someone, and now they're looking at it.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Of this, there can be no doubt!!!

:icon_evil:

4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    if it woulda happened the other way around no one would have gave a s*** :icon_evil:they would of said" its our fault for not stopping them":icon_evil: EFF THEM ALL!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    This is bs. I love the NFL's format for OT. It's better than the CFL's where it's an equal number of scrimmages from the 35 yard line, it's just ridiculous and stupid/boring. And why is it even a big deal that Peyton didn't get the ball, that's just how it works sometimes.

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    There is a simple reason for the rise in the number of OT games being decided 47% of the time by the guys winning the toss. That same @#$!%#$!!! rules committee has distorted the rules to hamstring the defense and favor the offense in order to "make the game more exciting"!!! What the HELL else did they expect? :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

7. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    This all because their little darling Peyton is still butt hurt.

:lol:

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    the only change i would make is require a TD to win - no FG's. otherwise i like it just fine. defensive players get paid too :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Why are they F'ing with tradition? :icon_shrug:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's fine the way it is. It's not broken, so don't fix it.

NFL is destroying it's own product little by little!!! :icon_evil:

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Roger Goodell is the anti-christ. :icon_twisted:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's better than Taglibue.
    I agree with what many people in this post have said... "had the Colts won that playoff game, this discussion would not be happening."

13. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Peyton had 60 minutes to get it done and failed. Sudden Death is just that SUDDEN DEATH! If your defense can't get the ball back for you then, Oh Well, You Suck, Now Go Home!

No wonder Peyton and Eli are so good at licking those Oreo's, they get a lot of practice on Archie's a** crying for what they want.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    It's a joke that they are looking at this. How many times are they going to retool the game for Payton? They already tied the CBs hands behind their backs for him. Now they are want to change the OT rule? Fuk. If the change it, I hope it comes back to bite him in the *** again like the PI call on the OT drive for the chargers.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Ironic that the very penalty that the Colts *****ed to create kept our winning drive alive. Should OT be changed, it too will return to bite them in the ***. Karma is a biotch~

No matter what tho, our boys can get it done. Go ahead, change the rules we still own Peyton and we always will. Boo Hoo for you NFL :icon_tease:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If NFL continues this kind of crap, I may have to start following CFL.

Basketball bores the Hell out of me.
    Baseball puts me to sleep.
    Hockey is cool but I just can't get into it.

17. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Totally agree! Roger Goodell is ruining the game in so many ways. I've hated this guy sense hes become the commissioner, seems all these changes are to make a name for himself. He thinks hes going to be remembered as a great commissioner who changed the NFL. What other reason would he be changing so many things when they've worked for so long.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I was happy to see Taglibue go, cause he was a complete a**hole! Though I actually liked Goodell in the beginning but I'm starting to change my mind now! :icon_evil:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've always disliked sudden death OT and they never should have gone to it. Giving each team the ball at least once in OT would be much better, at least no one could complain at not getting a chance.

20. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think that the overtime rule should be changed. I think every time the team that wins the toss scores on their opening possession, it's an unfair result.

I would prefer to make it like baseball--have each team alternate possessions, starting with the away team. If they score, the home team has to tie it to force another possession exchange, or exceed it to win the game. This would continue until someone wins.

Another thing that would be better than the current rule is to make them just play a full quarter of overtime. Whoever leads at the end of that quarter then wins. If it's still a tie at the end of the quarter, then you have sudden death like the current rule.

Or you could have this: Play a full quarter of overtime, but completely ban kicking except to kick off after a score. No punts, no field goals, no PAT kicks. Teams have to go for it on every 4th down, and go for two after every TD. Whoever leads at the end of the overtime quarter wins. If it's still tied, then play sudden death, still with no kicking.

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The problem with this method is that the team with the ball second has an advantage. They already know what the first team did. If the first team scored, then the second team will have four downs each series because there will be no reason to punt.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I like it just the way it is. :yes:

23. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    How many times did peyton get a cheep win with a field goal in OT? Notice how much of a crybaby he and his brother (cutler too) are when our DEFENCE kicked their ***. Yeah, somebody wants to make it easy for the wusses.

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    where would you start that alternate possesion? with a kickoff, at the 20 no matter what ?

this I like :tup: the TMQ way!

The simple way is the have the team that won the coin toss start a their 20 (or choose to have the other team start at the 20) that way you have to go a good 45-50 yards to try a FG (not that easy)

25. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Leave the current overtime rules alone! The way it is now takes in all aspects of the football team. Most of the alternate suggestions I've seen completely disregard special teams, and most pretty much give a team with a crap defense a chance at winning regardless of the fact that they have a less than complete team.