1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Owners doing just fine, thanks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe that far too many fans never stop to consider this fact when they cry for those poor struggling NFL owners.

Forbes estimates the Cowboys are worth $1.81 billion
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT

In 1989, Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Stadium for $140 million. Today, according to Forbes magazine, the Cowboys are worth $1.81 billion.

Who says NFL owners aren’t doing well?

According to Forbes, which is out with its latest list of the most valuable franchises in sports, the Cowboys are the second-most valuable franchise in the world, barely behind English soccer team Manchester United, which is worth an estimated $1.86 billion. Manchester United is owned by the same Glazer family that owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Forbes ranks the New York Yankees third at $1.7 billion, the Washington Redskins fourth at $1.55 billion, Spanish soccer team Real Madrid fifth at $1.45 billion and the New England Patriots sixth at $1.37 billion.

In seventh place is English soccer team Arsenal (owned by Rams owner Stan Kroenke) at $1.19 billion, and rounding out the top 10 are three more NFL teams: The New York Giants at $1.18 billion, the Houston Texans at $1.17 billion and the New York Jets at $1.14 billion.

Overall, eight of the 12 most valuable sports franchises in the world are NFL teams. We’d urge NFL owners to consider how much value their franchises will lose if they alienate their fans by failing to end the lockout soon.

So please,owners ..... cry me a ******* river. :rolleyes:

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If these owners want to cray that they are poor, then they should sell their team, pocket the billion dollars, and go find a more money making investment, expect that one doesn't exist, which is why they don't sell

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    how much is just the "Teams" worth without their new stadiums.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I imagine the players are doing well too right now, they haven't missed any pay checks

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    They haven't? I thought no one was getting paid during this owner imposed lockout? Am I wrong on that? Wasn't De Smith and the other player reps telling everyone in the NFLPA to save their money?

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't know for certain. I do know that I read before Jerrah built their new stadium that the franchise was worth in excess of a billion. Since the stadium alone cost in excess of a billion to build, perhaps there is a formula based on the amount of stadium cost financed? I trust Forbes to be fairly well-versed in these areas.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    There are not too many teams in the top 25 that are playing in 45 year old stadiums.

If the Chargers move up to LA, I wonder how much more value they would get to add.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The players only get paid during the regular season 17 checks, one for each week of the regular season. They were told to save their money incase it ends up going into the regular season

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would also assume that value also takes into a account how much debt a franchise has. So even though they have a new Billion dollar stadium, if they still owe $900mil on it, I doubt they would add the full billion into the teams value

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    A lot!!!!! Just look at the Cowboys writeup. They are making $100 mil annually just off of premium ticket sales. A new stadium in LA would have similar income form luxury suites and club seats, compared to SD which has hardly any

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Ok, got it, thanks.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    They don't get paid during off-season same as owners don't earn cash in off-season off their NFL teams. And saving money, you mean like what the owners were apparently doing as well that was so evil>?

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Get your NFL tickets here, get your tickets here. Tickets here, get your NFL tickets here, get your tickets here.

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Not sure about the owners saving money. That TV deal the owners struck was a bit shady, no?

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The courts sure thought it was, which is a HUGE reason that the players don't accept the "Just trust us" reasoning the owners keep giving them

16. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130

Imagine that! Somebody takes a business risk and goes all in on the dream of owning an NFL team and puting their mark on it. They cough up the millions. I am so sick of this mentality in this country in general. Hey Buck, get over it. It's their store! They bougt it. They will decide what they want to make. They will decide who will work for them and what salary they will make. They will decide how much it will cost you and I to experience a game in the stadiums that they built. Should they make a fortune along the way, that is part of the risk reward that goes along with the decisions they make. Labor should never determine the wages for any business. The amount of work and popularity of the job with the workers is what will always determine the wage. Don't forget that you always have the option to choose a different sport to be a fan of if you don't agree with OWNERS
    making a ton of money.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    you mad,dude?