1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Owners finally realize they are competing with HDTV

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Bucs owners realize NFL is competing with HDTV
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2011, 11:53 PM EDT

At at time when NFL owners are considering allowing some teams to cover up seats in order to reduce the number of tickets that need to be sold in order to guarantee a blackout, one of the teams currently having the hardest time selling tickets is acknowledging that it’s not just about the economy, but that it’s also about the improvements in home viewing technologies.

Bucs co-chairman Bryan Glazer, in a rare radio interview with Steve Duemig of WDAE, explained that the challenge comes from persuading the people to leave the comfort of their man caves.

“We have to make the in-game experience more fun than the home experience,” Glazer said. “At home, you are just steps from the refrigerator. In-stadium, there is no way to match that experience. But it is a challenge. It’s a challenge for all teams, not just football.”

So how will the NFL meet that challenge, short of physically shrinking the size of the stadiums?

“We are talking about some things that I can’t mention now but we know it’s a challenge,” Glazer said. “People can stay home, they can go to the beach, they can go to the movies. We have to get people to come to the game. A game situation has to be fun. This is a good market. Look at the Lightning and what they have done. The Rays too. This may be the most exciting 12 months for Tampa Bay sports. Fans will enjoy themselves at games and have a good time.”

We’d love to know what the NFL plans to do, other than covering seats with tent and awning materials. Whatever the ideas, the league needs to give the paying customers something more than the ability to witness the game in person. Because paying for the privilege to witness the game in person, with food and drink at a premium, gradually has become far less attractive for many people than watching the game(s) at home, where there’s no line for the icebox or the piss bowl.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Lowering the price of admission. Everyone in the NFL, from the owners to the players need to take a pay cut in order to keep fans showing up.

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Words.

When I can buy Sunday Ticket and see all the games for the price of a single ticket, parking, food drinks, it's a no brainer. Then add lockout issues and greedy owners?

Digital technology is a great leveler of playing fields. The NFL is probably going to go through similar sort of gyrations that the record companies, book publishers, and movie studios have gone through. They'll screw it up too. Rather than seeing the economies of digital technology as a way to save costs and expand viewership, they'll try reign it in and charge a premium for it.

They'll probably be more successful than the other industries in the digital transition since NFL games are live and controled by a single producer. But they'll take some lumps in the process.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

Yup. I live in Oregon and have NFL Sunday Ticket, I went to the Chargers/Seahawks game last year and sat in the nosebleeds and wriggled around in those uncomfortable seats for 3 hours trying to keep my FM radio reception so I could tell what was going on down on the field, and relay it to others in my party.

Screw that sh*t, I'll watch the game from my couch for 1/100 the price of admission + gas + food + travel time.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I loved going to the games and was worth the money for 9 years, but the game was only part of it. We had a group of about 10-15 people that all tailgated together. So it was the whole thing.

Now, with tailgating being slowly eliminated in most new stadiums, I wouldn't go to more than 1 game a year, and if I still lived in SD, and they built a new stadium down town, I would give up my tickets due to the lack of tail gating and the jump in cost that is bound to happen

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Do you guys really think the prices will ever go down. As soon as the owners realize they are competing with HDTV the whole game will change i.e. pay per view. Dont underestimate greed.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    That PPV stuff is what ruined boxing and is still holding it back, it would be foolish for the NFL to take that road.. And besides NFL Sunday Ticket is PPV, the only difference is a 4 or 5 games are nationally televised every week.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    They are showing games on their NFL Network these days..... that's only available through cable. I can see where that trend might lead.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Or satellite. And if you have Time Warner, no NFL network for you!

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Right, I meant paid TV in general.

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Boxing ruined boxing. Bullsh_t decisions to favor the guy who's a bigger draw, too many organizations, too many champions, too many big fights not getting made, and the UFC just flat being better. I used to love boxing, but I finally got tired of all the bullsh_t that surrounds it.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I can buy a six pack of good beer for what it cost for 1 premium beer at the stadium. Pack of dogs & buns for the price of 1 dog at the stadium.

HD plasma and surround sound, instant replay that I control. The whole experience at the game is overrated these days.

Overpriced tickets, parking and concessions. Overpaid players.

Fuk em all. I will watch from home.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yeah, it's an interesting point with the PPV. I don't think PPV killed boxing. Boxing killed itself. Look no further than PPV MMA for that...

BUT how the hell are you going to sell PPV on what? 10 games every week? (subtracting off TNF, SNF, MNF and whatever games the networks have right to). You're competing with yourself. Sunday Ticket IS PPV.

I guess the NFL could say 'yep you get TNF, SNF, MNF and 3 network games for free most weeks, but all others are individual PPV.'

Good luck with that after the lockout crap AND I guarantee that cutting down on pirate internet use will be much harder than they imagine.

They'll have to put a lot of effort into "protecting their product" much more than the market will currently bear, imo.

They've ****** themselves right good.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    If it comes down to where I can't watch the game live on cable...highlights online and boxscore will be my way of doing it.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just wait until the NFL agreement is up with Direct TV. This will mean that DTV will have to pay through the nose to get it. The Sunday ticket package will then triple in price.

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I would love to have an opportunity to purchase a Chargers season tickets PPV package. If I could buy all Charger games with NO BLACKOUTS I would be onboard. Sunday Ticket doesn't mean much to me, I like NFL Red Zone far better for keeping up with all the games going on.

17. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not if they don't settle the lockout.
    Or, sure, let them raise the price for inferior product. Won't be long before the owners feel the shaft.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The UFL will be rolling along before to long so I'll be checking them out with a bit more interest. Right now to me it's the NF who????? C-ya down the road, maybe.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Most industry experts believe the next NFL TV contract will nearly double what the current ones are, which are already in the billions of dollars