1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Owners Will Discuss Adding a 17th Regular Season NFL Game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, May 20, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/20/owners-will-discuss-adding-a-17th-regular-season-nfl-game/

[​IMG]

This morning, FanHouse's Michael David Smith wrote that NFL owners had unanimously agreed to opt out of the current labor deal. This won't mean much over the next few seasons, but come 2011, we could all be pulling for a bunch of scabs (and who knows, maybe that will be the break Quincy Carter needs).

Additionally, the owners also have plans to discuss the possibility of adding an additional regular season game to the schedule, an idea that's been floating around for a few years now. From the Washington Post's Mark Maske:
    The preseason probably would be shortened by a game to compensate, Goodell said. Goodell said the idea remains in its formative stages and the league is not yet ready to present a proposal to the union, which would have to ratify such a change to the schedule format.
    I could go either way on this; players are forever lamenting the length of the preseason, so swapping a game that means absolutely nothing for one that has postseason implications seems like a swell idea. There are still issues to iron out, though; presumably, players are more likely to get injured as the season progress, probability being what it is. And unlike the preseason, when starters seldom see more than a handful of snaps, there's also a concern that teams will be physically spent by the time the playoffs roll around.

Of course, money has a funny way of altering one's perspective, and I suspect that if the owners want a 17th regular season game, they'll figure out a way for everybody to make a few bucks off it.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I liked the idea of a 17th game if they are going to continue this international game stuff. That way a team doesn't lose a home game when they play internationally.

Still not sold on the whole international thing though, but if the additional travel doesn't tire out the player too much, I guess I'm for it.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I say to offset the "fatigue" issue, give everyone another bye week. Then the regular season can be 19 weeks long.

Hell, Im already paying for 10 regular season home games , might as well gimme another one.

4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    they allready charge full price 4 a peseason game:tdown:
    dont know how they can make more $$$

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Probably from sponsors.

Or they'll jack out ticket prices up again (<--this)

6. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    A 17th regular season game would be okay but I think they should have one less preseason game.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I used to think that it should be 18 regular season games and only two preseason, but I think that it's pretty much perfect like it is. It gives enough time to evaluate the young guys, and 16 is a nice round number that coincides perfectly with 32 teams/4 teams per division.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Thats lame. Either leave it at 16 or go to 18 while leaving off 2 preseason games.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Scheduling is the fly in the ointment. You need at least three preseason games to evaluate talent. Either that or you'd have to expand the PS, with transfers not subject to waivers and with immunity for a select number of players on the squad into part of the season for a whole squad and part of the squad for the whole season. The exempted players would still be eligible for PS's for two years. The only thing I can think of is that the 17th game would be drawn by lottery, with teams outside the division being eligible. A joker in the deck.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Exactly what I was thinking. :icon_evil:

This is absolute crap!!!

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd also be in favor of allowing teams to use their entire roster and practice squads during a game - no more players who aren't active but on the roster

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not a bad idea, Ant. I dunno, though - even though I would enjoy seeing more games, I think that the wear and tear on the players is already pretty high with the number at 16.

It's all about revenue.

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    What are they trying to do, kill the players?

Hopefully, the plan includes eliminating at least one preseason game...

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. Bad idea!!!!

I'm sure a big part of this is the international games which I didn't like from the start. Back in the early 90s, they had some preseason games overseas. I had no problem with that but playing overseas in regular season games is beginning to cause more bad than good to the company.

15. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I see this as an excellent opportunity to open the international market.

Schedule 17 games offset by one less preseason game. One international game for each team and have that game followed by a bye week to recoup from jet lag. :icon_shrug:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't see that making a difference (as far as the wear and tear on the players) because you don't play your starters in four quarters in a preseason game.

17. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I'm not a math wizard by any stretch, so I won't even try...But would an odd number of games screw up some teams as to how many home and away games they have.... Would some teams have 8 homers and others 9... All teams can't have 8 home and 9 away could they?

Again, not math wiz here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Who's that in your avatar, Rosie Bellushi? :icon_shrug: :yes:

19. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    It's Rosie/Khalid Shiek Mohammad (KSM). Pretty awesome huh.

20. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    That sounds like something the Russell Crowe character in "A Beautiful Mind" would say! :tup:

21. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    It's a beaut! (Well... maybe that isn't quite the right word...) :lol:

But absolutely classic, that's for sure!