1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packer Fan Here

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by packfntk, Apr 23, 2011.

1. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey peeps-

Thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I am a Packer fan (I come in Peace :) ), and my buddies and I are planning on making a trip out to your house this year. I have always wanted to go to Qualcomm and it looks like a pretty cool atmosphere. I was looking for some pointers......

1- Any idea how opposing teams fans' are treated at Qualcomm?
    2- How is tailgating?
    3- What can we expect for ticket prices? We sit in the lower bowl.
    4- How is the food/bars around the stadium?
    5- Is it loud?

We are very respectful and we go on one trip a year to support our team. If you could give me any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to your response!

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah don't come. It's suuuuper risky for anyone not wearing a Charger jersey...and there's nothing much to do or see here anyway.

I think you should just give your tickets to some Chargers fans and go to a nice quiet relaxing Raider game instead. Those fans are softies.

3. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Gee thanks.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    LOL just having a bit of fun with you

1- Any idea how opposing teams fans' are treated at Qualcomm?
    Unless they act like drunking ****ers they're treated fine. We don't attack other fans, ribbing though will take place in great quantities
    2- How is tailgating?
    The Q is one of the best places to tailgate, lots of room. Get there early, don't hog too much space.
    3- What can we expect for ticket prices? We sit in the lower bowl.
    I'm not sure, go to Chargers.com - Prove Your Pride. Bolt Up San Diego!
    4- How is the food/bars around the stadium?
    If your staying in Mission Valley then its decent, but alot of people come in earlier in teh weekend stay at places a bit more interesting (Gaslamp, Sea world, La Jolla) and drive to the stadium so they can do the touristy thing.
    5- Is it loud?
    Definitely

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah I just know its practically going to be a home game for you guys, we get swamped with Packer fans every time we play them to begin with, then you consider they're fresh off a Super Bowl win and the Chargers missed the playoffs last year......I can see us being out numbered.

6. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. We are used to getting ribbed from our previous trips, it's part of the game. We are actually going to have to rent a vehicle, but we want to tailgate. We are super jacked, can't wait to check out Qualcomm. Is parking in the lot reserved, or is it open for cash entry?

7. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Well we tend to travel well. When we went to Kansas City a few years ago it was probably 40% packer fans. Pretty cool but I would be pissed if Lambeau was like that.

Qualcomm doesn't sell out? Am I remembering right that there was a blackout being threatened a couple years ago? How is that, the Chargers are fun to watch!

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Honestly I don't know. The only thing I can think of is those nosebleed seats are soooooo far from the field that you'd rather sit in the comfort of your own home and watch the game on your HDTV. We have one of the worst stadiums in the league.

9. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Really? Why do you think that? Can't be worst than that crap hole dome we had to go to two years ago. How are concessions, etc?

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They get together with fans from this site to tailgate. Keep checking for locations, they welcome all sorts of people...... Even an odd Raider fan every now and again.

Have a safe trip, and sorry you will see your team lose... Assuming there are games next season...

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Concessions are OK. You'll pay $7-$9 for a beer, but I'm sure it's like that at Lambeau & elsewhere.

Parking is $25, non-reserved & fills up early. It kinda sucks, TBH. I park at a nearby shopping mall & take the trolley in. It's $5 for a roundtrip/all day pass. Been doing that for regular season games since 2004 (when the Packers were here for regular season game last time).

Atmosphere? Well, it can get loud. We do have an issue with possible blackouts. Might be worse this year as I know plenty of folks who haven't renewed their season tix because of this CBA issue. Though I don't think it'll be an issue this year for the Packer game.

My wife's a Packer fan so she'll be with me at this game.

12. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds pretty cool, is there anything unique about Qualcomm or that the fans do?

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Nothing I can think of. There is a pretty big tailgate held by the folks here over in M4 of the parking lot.

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    There is no celebration like a "Lambeau Leap" but after a Chargers TD or FG they fire a cannon in the end zone. Qualcomm is one of the last stadiums that still have an active tailgate parking lot, just don't bring glass bottles or the cops will give you a ticket. One of my younger brothers is a pcker fan, and one of our regular tailgate members is from GrBay, your team (like the Cowbags, Nyners, Raydurs, and Eggles) is always represented well in our stadium. Plus we have loads of transplants from the northern states that live here, along with a lot of military folks that are stationed here. If you are from the northern climes, bring sunscreen because the stadium can be a little warm, especially in the upper decks.

Pointy

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Hey Packer fan, don't worry bout any of these dudes, their bark is louder than their bite. besides they're nothing more than laid-back So Cal drunkin pinko f........ you get the idea. Have fun and don't bend over at the gater.:eek::D

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'd defo recommend using the trolley to get to the game very efficient in my experience. If you are a good boy the gang at M4 might even host you guys as visiting fans!!. They are a great bunch. I've always wanted to experience Lambeau u might b able to return the favour some day!!.

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    There are a lot of fans that come into the “Q” and leave without a hitch. Then there are those that come in and think they own the place. They like to stir things up and let us home town folks know how many rings they have. Those don’t last long. In all the Packer games I have been to at Qualcomm I can’t remember seeing too many fights in the stands nor running across any Packer fans that seemed obnoxious. You get some good natured ribbing, but I am sure it’s nothing that you have not experienced before.

18. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    So M4 is a lot I take it? What is that like?

We would for sure be looking to do something like that or at least be interested to learn about it. Lambeau is a great experience, the closest I have seen is KC.

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Loads of opposing fans at games is the curse Charger fans live with. Since San Diego is an awesome city with awesome weather, people go out of their way to move there from all over the country. Those people already have a team they like, so when the Chargers play them, droves of people who deserted that city and now live in San Diego show up in their team's colors. I saw it the other night at the Padres-Phillies game.

Add to that the Packers are one of America's Bandwagons along with the Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders. It doesn't matter what city you visit, there will be a bunch of fans from those four teams. Not all Packers fans are bandwagoners, that's not what I am saying. I am just pointing out that "fans" of these teams are everywhere. And since the Packers just won the Super Bowl, a bunch more have probably jumped on.

So...there will likely be loads of Packers fans at that game.

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    I concur with those statements.

21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    If you get a chance to view a map of the stadium and parking lot, you will see that the trolley line is elevated and runs all along the southern end of the parking lot going in an East/West direction. We are at the Eastern end of the trolley tracks, right where the trolley starts coming down to street level, directly underneath it, and the parking lots are all marked, we would be directly facing the mural that is on the East end of the stadium in section M4, we are about 50 yds from the M4 banner. Easy to get to if you are on the trolley, just follow the tracks after you arrive at the stadium, we are about 200-250 yds from the station where the elevated bridge ends.

Pointy

22. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome. Would any of you recommend staying right near the stadium or elsewhere in town? Where are all the bars located? Is there one cool area or are they spread all over? Eating places?

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    The Gaslamp area is great, as is Old Town. Trolley access is available in those parts too. Google both of those & you'll see what I mean. If you want to stay near the stadium, there are plenty options too. Lots of hotels in the Mission Valley area (where the stadium is located).

24. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on bars/resaurants in the mission valley area?

25. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If you stay in Old Town, check out High Dive bar n grill. Semi-sports, beach bar. Eye candy for bar tender/waitresses.

Welcome to The High Dive

26. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Now THAT looks up our ally. We are 4 28 year old guys so beer, good looking chicks, and good food are where it's at. How far is that away from Qualcomm?

27. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I am not sure of length, 10 minute drive???? But this bar is in Bay Park, which abuts to Old Town. Old town has a trolley line to the stadium. I'd probably take the trolley if I were you, just because why hastle with a car. Especially, if you sweet talk your way into a BT tailgate. If you guys are 28, spend an evening in Pacific Beach, there will be more eye candy in the bars there. Relatively short cab ride from Old town. But the High dive is a nice little bar n grill, for a nice evening of burgers n beer. Pacific Beach is more for partying, hooking up... lol

28. packfntk

packfntk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Haha, well thanks again. Two of us are married and one engaged so we really only need to find a hookup for one poor soul. Haha! J/K.

Super excited to see your traditions and your home atmosphere. You guys must be somewhat excited for this year huh? The Chargers seem like a team that has the talent to make a run, they have for a few years. What us the problem with taking the next step? Rivers and Gates are beasts, Gates needs to stay healthy this year though. Is VJax happy now or what is the story with him? And is Ryan Matthews going to be the player that everyone thought he is going to be or what?

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We have had some trouble with defense last few years and with injuries, moving out some of the old vets and getting new players
    Vjax - I think there's too much bad blood for him to be here more then a year. He wanted a long term contract had earned it but his off the field antics make alot of people worried about big investments - one more screw up he's suspended for alot longer
    Mathews- (one t) - injuries ball security problems derailed him along with the development of mike tolbert. Lot of potential there

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dude, this is SoCal, we're pretty much laid back and friendly everywhere you go. If you aren't a dick, everyone will be cool to you (even if you are wearing Silver and Black). We pretty much always have a couple of opposing fans at the tailgaters, and aside for some friendly **** talking, all you can expect is cold beer, great food, and excellent people.

I just wanted to concur with my fellow posters about staying in 1 of 3 places: Mission Valley Circle, Old Town, or The Gaslamp Quarter. All 3 will have easy access to the trolley and to each other. Also, the High Dive is a great spot as already mentioned. Also, you can take a cab to Pacific, Ocean, or Mission Beach for a few bucks, and there's PLENTY of eye candy and great places to eat all around there. For nighttime entertainment, Downtown/Gaslamp is always jumping.

Just be warned, the Q is a ******* dump. Other than that packfntk, trust me dude, you're in for a good time. Last time the Pack was in town many of your fellow fans turned out, and all the ones who sat around us in our section were very cool. As long as you are cool, we'll be cool.